D&D 5E Spells you house rule?

Why then though?
becuse this is when he is about to look down an alley?
Unless it's obvious there is a pass/fail situation at play, the in game PCs have no idea the puppet controlling them (the player) is about to make a 'skill check'.
but no skill check is not a somehting...

I am LOOKING at or for soemthing
I am THINKING to recall lore
I am HIDEING
A Barbarian about to advance to move a heavy thing I can see, or someone involved in a game of chance or skill. Ditto a Rogue about to disarm a located trap, or defusing a bomb type scenario.
okay... so whats the issue?
Someone looking down a hallway isn't a trigger that warrants a Cleric knowing a 'skill check' is at play.
but it isn't a skill check you are reacting to. it is LOOKING... if the cleric doesn't know that the someone is looking okay... but WHY don't they know they are looking? are they suprised, then okay? are they not in the area, then okay? if they are not able to know what the other person is doing Okay...

but WHY don't they know?
Generally unless the player states they're using it before I call for the check (and it's clear they have an in game prompt to do so, and to provide assistance to a challenge that the other PC is clearly facing) I dont allow it.
if it isn't a suprise why?

I forgot to mention earlier but a general rule change about concentration/save spells:

If a spell requires concentration and allows a save each round to end the effect (e.g. Hold Person):

1. If the caster continues to concentrate, the target does not get to reroll the failed save each round.
2. If the caster releases or loses concentration, then the target can make a save each round to end the effect.
wait so if I cast hold, and they fail the first save, as long as I concentrate you can't get a second save?

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Fair question.

A tent that can provide comfortable shelter for about six people and gear is pretty big. It is likely made of oiled or waxed canvas- thus rather heavy. Probably close to fifty or sixty pounds. (Sixty pounds is the ideal maximum weight for backpackers or military. Although a full military kit is closer to a hundred ponds these days.)

Unlike a canvas tent, the spell keeps a relatively comfortable temperature without the need for ventilation flaps or charcoal stoves. It shelters from wind and can be a camouflaged color that changes as to environment. It keeps out vermin such as ticks or fleas. And, most importantly, it keeps you dry. Staying dry is vital for any prolonged trek through the wilderness.

So instead of hauling 60-80 pounds of survival gear (the tent, rain tarp, blankets, heater, &c.) You carry that much more treasure out. And it erects effectively immediately.

Also, being third level, it is an excellent choice between improving survival from the environment or fireball improving survival from foes. There is an opportunity cost there.
I do not disagree with what you are saying (as far as the physical properties of a tent), but once PCs have progressed to 5th level and have widened the scope of their adventuring to the next tier of play enforcing things like "The night is cold, what temperature is your bedroll rated for" seems like it might be out of place.

If for no other reason than the fact that by 5th level almost any mundane equipment is effectively free and there is usually a STR20 character toting around all the party junk OR a haversack/bag that does the same magically.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the lazy tent version might still be worth picking up as a ritual so it's not without merit, but I would argue that it doesn't warrant a 3rd level slot after the change.

I think a better fix would be to just make it work with the same from both sides, and allow a chance to destroy it via cumulative damage or STR and CHA saves.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
I do not disagree with what you are saying (as far as the physical properties of a tent), but once PCs have progressed to 5th level and have widened the scope of their adventuring to the next tier of play enforcing things like "The night is cold, what temperature is your bedroll rated for" seems like it might be out of place.

If for no other reason than the fact that by 5th level almost any mundane equipment is effectively free and there is usually a STR20 character toting around all the party junk OR a haversack/bag that does the same magically.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the lazy tent version might still be worth picking up as a ritual so it's not without merit, but I would argue that it doesn't warrant a 3rd level slot after the change.

I think a better fix would be to just make it work with the same from both sides, and allow a chance to destroy it via cumulative damage or STR and CHA saves.
I would agree that a portable tent that protects you from the elements but offers no protection isn't really a 3rd level spell. I have issues with Tiny Hut as it's presented, but I do feel it's ok for it to be a defensible structure in case of assault while you rest.

An impregnable structure is just a bit much- that's what Magnificient Mansion is for, which is a much higher level.

Oofta

Legend
I have just one and I consider it tiny: I make the water from Create or Destroy Water potable. Well, I guess there is one other, but my understanding is the official text will soon change to reflect this anyway, so I don't consider it a house rule: in Simulacrum I don't let simulacra create more simulacra.
I would rank those as rulings, not house rules. Create water is specifically clear water, I don't know why it wouldn't be potable. Simulacrum makes an illusory duplicate. Simulacrum can only duplicate a beast or humanoid, not an illusory duplicate. At least that's how I would rule.

becuse this is when he is about to look down an alley?

How the heck does the Cleric know there is something to look for? Just because your barbarian mate glances down an empty alley is not reason to suddenly grant a divine blessing on him to spot something at that precise moment, even if you somehow knew in advance he was about to glance down the alley (which you dont).

Again, Imagine a group of PCs are advancing down a long dungeon hallway. All is quiet. The DM (noting that some Orcs ahead have heard the PCs and are preparing to ambush them) calls for Perception checks.

The Cleric intervenes with 'I cast Guidance first'.

The DM is well within his rights to say 'not a chance in hell' seeing as the Cleric (in game) has no idea he is 'making a check' or that his skill is being tested at that precise moment.

Also imagine PCs are chatting with an NPC trying to persuade them to do something. The Bard player comes up with a particularly good story, and roleplays it out. The DM calls for a Persuasion check.

Too late. The persuasion attempt has already happened (the Bard has already said what he is going to say). No guidance allowed.

Horwath

Legend
Leomunds tiny hut should be banned and 5th level spell from 3.5e Hidden lodge should be instead.

Leomunds hidden lodge.
3rd level Conjuration
Casting time: 1 minute(ritual)
duration: 24hrs

Create a sturdy lodge 20ft on a side.
Lodge is perfectly camouflaged into terrain. You cannot noticed it outside 60ft of it.
Inside 60ft you can make a Perception or Survival check with disadvantage vs spells DC to notice it.

Lodge is treated as made out of stone, doors and windows have a DC30 locks to pick,
Alarm, unseen servant and tenser's floating disc are available while inside and water breathing if lodge is created underwater.

Occupants that shoot from inside out can shoot through arrow slits and count as having +5 AC.

How the heck does the Cleric know there is something to look for?
why is the barbarian looking if there is no reason to look? something triggered the barbarian to look (or somtehing suprised tha barbarian) if there is no suprise the same thing triggers the cleric
Just because your barbarian mate glances down an empty alley is not reason to suddenly grant a divine blessing on him to spot something at that precise moment
why is he looking again?
, even if you somehow knew in advance he was about to glance down the alley (which you dont).
why don't you know, are you suprised and/or not paying attention?
Again, Imagine a group of PCs are advancing down a long dungeon hallway. All is quiet. The DM (noting that some Orcs ahead have heard the PCs and are preparing to ambush them) calls for Perception checks.
either A) it is a suprise (no actions, no guidence) or B) it is a situation where the PCs are not suprised and can take actions.

The DM is well within his rights to say 'not a chance in hell' seeing as the Cleric (in game) has no idea he is 'making a check' or that his skill is being tested at that precise moment.
1st) any DM telling a player "not a chance in hell" instead of being an adult and explaining is someone I don't want to deal with at work where I am paid to deal with mean stupid people...let alone at a game with supposed friend
2nd) Again, if anyone can take an action then they can take that action, if they are surprised NO ONE can take actions and it is easy enough to say "This is a reaction, this is a surprise, this is ____"but if people are in actions "I am looking down the alley" then that action is no more or less okay then "I cast a cantrip"
Also imagine PCs are chatting with an NPC trying to persuade them to do something. The Bard player comes up with a particularly good story, and roleplays it out. The DM calls for a Persuasion check.

okay... notice the word first. aka before the bard.
Too late.
why?
The persuasion attempt has already happened (the Bard has already said what he is going to say). No guidance allowed.
now that depends on why one person can take actions and another cant

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I was just about posting that Guidance is the only spell in 5e which I exert some sort of regular control over, though I wouldn't call it house ruled.

First of all, the spell applies to ability checks, and ability checks only exist when the DM grants you one of them ("rule zero"). The way I typically run the game, you don't actually roll ability checks all the time for everything. Instead, the principle for me is that you roll ability checks when I, as a DM, am undecided whether you should succeed or not. That means I am not going to ask you for a damn dice roll every single tree you try to climb or every single door you try to bash. In many cases, I just look at how agile you are or how strong you are, and decide you succeed outright or that you just can't succeed at all unless you add an extra idea about how to do it. That's because my DMing style gives more focus to players' skills than the usual roll-playing. This is not really about house ruling the spell itself.

Another couple of things that make Guidance less terrible in our games, is that a lot of ability checks are reactive and/or group checks*. In theory you could cast the cantrip in advance to cover someone against reactive checks, in practice you won't be doing this unless you expect it will be needed in the next minute. Group checks come up quite often in our games, and Guidance can help you with one of the checks in the group, but not more than one, because of the simultaneity of action.

Finally, I also more directly mitigate the Guidance spell by generally not allowing it to work on any check that represents something being done over the course of a time longer than the spell duration (one minute), or not representing an actual action but rather the results of something done in the past. Typically it means it won't work on Knowledge checks that represent what you happened to have learned previously. I guess you could call this one a house rule, but it's debatable.

*I don't allow shenanigans like "I keep casting Guidance all day long every 59 seconds" or metagaming like "we sneak past the guard one by one specifically to avoid a group check". If you try shenanigans in my games, I'll use shenanigans against your PC, and soon we won't be playing together anymore.
Pretty much exactly the same way I run it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads