Splat control

Flatus Maximus

First Post
After playing for a couple of years, I'm getting my first chance to DM. I want to allow my players to use non-core material (if they want) without things getting too out of hand. Also, I want to encourage interesting PC concepts that would be viable with a bit of help. So I've come up with a buy-in point system and I'm wondering what others think about it.

Each player gets 10 points at 1st level, 1 point per subsequent level. Points can be used as follows, subject to DM approval:

* Extra feat: 5 pts
* Skills ranks calculated as if +1 to Int modifier, purchased at 1st level: 5 pts
* +1 to one ability score: 5 pts
* Non-core race (LA=0), class, or feat: 4 pts
* Skill ranks calculated as if +1 to Int modifier, purchased after 1st level: 3 pts
* Non-core spell or magic item: 2 pts
* Non-core mundane armor, weapon, or item: 1 pt

Thoughts or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
The most broken things in 3rd edition D&D don't require tons of splat books, so you'll still have to okay each addition manually.

That said, it doesn't seem terrible. A focused munchkin only gets +5 feats over someone trying a bunch of non-Core stuff.

Cheers, -- N

Flatus Maximus

First Post
Fortunately I don't play with munchkins, so I'm more concerned with getting the prices right within the 1-5 range. I'm certain that the +1 to one ability score is worth 5 and non-core armor/weapons/items are worth 1, but I'm not sure about the rest. What I have seems OK, though I'd be interested to hear what others think.

Set

First Post
The RPGA does something similar. Anything core is okay, anything from a splatbook you have to pay 'expansion slots' for, and you get one per level. Some of them, such as a rare spell or equipment item, cost only 1 slot, while a feat or alternate class feature / racial substituion level might cost two (and since you might have chosen a non-core race or class, you might start 'in the hole' a few slots and not be able to take anything non-core for a few levels).

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebxe/welcome

Last edited:

Asurya

First Post
Considering that (nearly) every cheese combo pulled out of splats are base on spells (how surprising!), I would rate out-of-core
  • spell more like 5 a piece or 2*${spell_rank}; Granted -like Nifft said- that you will have to face cheese in core only spells...
  • feat more like 1 (or 0), I mean why would you seriously want to nerf the poor ones (non caster)??

If I may, I have a couple of questions:
  • what is the type of the +1 $ability_stat thing? (i.e. will one of your player be tempted to stack like hell)
  • supposing I'm reading the "as +1 Int" thing correctly (and I hope I'm not! :D ) basically:
    +4SP (@L1, 2nd "star") costs you 5 pts
    +1SP (@L>1, 4th "star") costs you 3 pts
    +5SP (extra feat[open minded]) costs you 5 pts
    I bet you know what they will choose to do (provided, again, I read the thing right)

hope that helps...

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Honestly, I don't think there's much cause to give away the feats and/or stat boosts. It's not like a Wizard, Cleric or Druid needs any help feeling powerful compared to a Swashbuckler, Dragon Shaman, or Beguiler.

As a Wizard, I'd happily take +2 Int, and another +1 Int at 6th, 11th, and 16th. Maybe four new spells from 17th-20th, if I need them.

The Cleric may want Divine Metamagic (for Quicken) and the item Nightstick, or may just be content to be less feat-starved.

The Druid may want Planar Shepard... urk.

Anyway, my point is: I'm not sure you need to compensate Core-only characters. If a player is happy staying core, that's great. He doesn't necessarily suffer.

Cheers, -- N

Flatus Maximus

First Post
Asurya: Good idea with the spell cost. It makes sense that higher level spells should be worth more than lower level spells. And I've also been thinking that the cost for a non-core feat should be lowered, though 0 or 1 sounds too low....

Regarding the skill points, let me try to rephrase: For 5 points at 1st level, a PC's skill points are calculated as if +1 to Int modifier, for that and each subsequent level. For example, a wizard would have (3+Int)*4 skill points at 1st level, and 3+Int skill points at each subsequent level.

For 3 points at any other level, a PC's skill points are calculated as if +1 to Int modifier. If the same wizard made this purchase at 2nd level, it would have (2+Int)*4 skill points at 1st level (as usual), but then 3+Int skill points at each subsequent level.

Flatus Maximus

First Post
Nifft: You're right about the cleric, druid, and wizard, but how 'bout the bard or monk? The focus is more on making it atractive for someone to play something other than...cleric, druid, or wizard. Of course, these classes will rock out even harder, but I'm not trying to level the playing field.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Flatus Maximus said:
Nifft: You're right about the cleric, druid, and wizard, but how 'bout the bard or monk? The focus is more on making it atractive for someone to play something other than...cleric, druid, or wizard. Of course, these classes will rock out even harder, but I'm not trying to level the playing field.
For the Bard, there are a couple of feats & a spell or two which can help.

For the Monk, I can't think of anything that would help, other than being replaced by the Swordsage. :\

Anyway, I'd suggest your prices for non-Core stuff are basically fine, and you should just take the extra feats and stat boosts off the table.

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads