Spoilers: Some guy in Friends & Family playtest apparently violates his NDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireLance

Legend
If healing surges and 4e powers are options, i will be fine with the game. But if they are part of the core, that would be a major problem for me. Tose are the very things that I disliked about 4e, so I see no reason to back to WOTC if they are part of the core.
How do you define a "4e power", anyway? As pointed out in a recent Rule-of-Three, "powers are just a method of formatting discrete actions".

IMO, statements like, "I don't like martial powers", or "I don't like encounter powers", or "I don't like encounter and daily powers for martial classes", or "I don't like at-will and encounter powers for wizards and clerics" would be more useful than a blanket (and non-informative) "I don't like 4e powers."

MooMan68

First Post
Sounds to me like there is a lot of experimenting going on, especially with the Elf Wizard class. I can't really argue with experimentation.

Even if we assume a lot of this will stay in the game, a great deal depends on how much of it is "modular".

If the core Thief class, for instance, always has daily or encounter abilities that will be a problem for me. If they are options they can select, that would be fine. I just wouldn't allow those options in my campaigns or play in campaigns that allow them.

The warlord healing raises red flags, but I'll wait to see the details before rendering judgement.

Belphanior

First Post
People will complain about D&DN no matter what it turns out to be like. There are too many preferences about D&D to satisfy everybody, regardless of how modular you make it. So it's neither surprising nor unreasonable that there's people who dislike what they see so far.

Me, I'm still on the fence. None of these things really tell me how the game plays.

Meh.

Any at-will magic doesn't feel magical. A 1st level mage could make a good living as a lumberjack or a miner with the ability to sling virtually unlimited damage all the live long day.

Thankfully its still early. :)

avin

First Post
IMO, statements like, "I don't like martial powers", or "I don't like encounter powers", or "I don't like encounter and daily powers for martial classes", or "I don't like at-will and encounter powers for wizards and clerics" would be more useful than a blanket (and non-informative) "I don't like 4e powers."

On that I agree. A 2E daily spell is a daily "power"... problem, I think, is "encounter powers for melee"...

...but maybe people are referrig to the fact Wotc said there won't be jargon on DDN... and "power" *is* jargon.

Last edited:

Belphanior

First Post
IIRC Monte said that on D&DXP...

Eh, looking over 5e info page I can see he said they would move away from jargon, brought up in context of power sources. But I don't think they can really have no jargon at all. I mean, "Armor Class" is jargon too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads