D&D 5E Stabbing Satan: A Fool's Errand.

tglassy

Adventurer
So a week ago or so, my group wanted me to start up a game. We alternate DM's, and often have two, or even three, campaigns going at any one time, with different people DMing, so none of us get burned out of DMing. Funny how none of us ever get burned out of playing...

Anywho, I haven't really DM'd in a while, so it was my turn to start one. I asked "What do y'all want to do?" They said "Let's go kill Asmodeus!"

Um...

So now we're playing a game where the primary goal will be to go through each of the nine hells until they can ultimately face the statless Asmodeus. Now, I'm well aware of who Asmodeus is. I know he's essentially a Greater Deity with absolute control over the nine hells. I know he is one of the smartest creatures in the multiverse, and I know that he's dealt with this exact scenario time and time again over the millennia. I also know that even if they were able to succeed on their quest, they'd just screw up the Balance and let Demons rampage all over the multiverse. Very well aware.

But I'm an accommodating DM. They want to do something, I want to give them the possibility of making it happen. When I ran Strahd, I provided a way for them to destroy Vampyr, the Dark Power that embodied the Mist and gave Strahd his power. It cost the party a party member, and wound up freeing Strahd from his prison, letting him escape into the Multiverse no longer a Vampire, but still a lvl 20 Wizard (I re-stated him), but they did it. I set it up as "This was Strahd's plan all along, to find a group who could kill Vampyr once and for all. And you did wonderfully!"

So I want it to be possible to kill Asmodeus. Hard as hell (hehehe), but possible. It'll be a nice "you don't know what you're doing" moment when they realize that Hell is now going to go through a succession war for the next few thousand years while the Abyss spreads like wildfire.

Anywho, I wanted to check with the hive mind to see what ideas y'all might have on the subject. If there were a means to kill Asmodeus, how would you go about it?

Note: We are starting at lvl 11, and every layer they descend will level them up. After a prologue outside of hell, they will descend to Avernus, and lvl up to lvl 12. This way, they'll be lvl 20 by the time they reach Nessus.

Note Note: We have a literal god in the party. In one of our old games, upon completion of the game, our characters became gods, and one of the players was really wanting to play her old character, so I said she could be an Avatar of her god character. They were lvl 11 at the time, anyway. I said if the Avatar died, her god character would not have the power to make a new one any time soon, so she'd effectively be out of the game. But this could open some possibilities.

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
So this is a level 11-20? campaign you are planning. Did you want... advice? Criticism (in the "what could go wrong" type of thinking)?

Right off the bat, the first thing I'm wondering is the party composition, especially the casters. What your party can do (and not do) will be defined a lot by the spells they have access to, and that will shape the course of the campaign.

The second thing is that you have to ask yourself is what does this group have that give them a chance to succeed? (besides a generous dm ha!)

The third thing to consider is that this may be a long con by Asmodeus. The PCs may actually help him when they kill - or "kill" him....

tglassy

Adventurer
Great question. We have:

A Fighter1/Sorcerer 10, focusing mostly on infiltration/extraction magic.
A Divine Soul Sorcerer (the Avatar), focusing mostly on killing and healing magic.
A Spore Druid
A Oath of the Water Paladin.

I do plan on there being at least one Legendary Item in each realm. This is a high level campaign, mostly as an exercise on running/playing high level games. None of us have ever really gotten past lvl 11, or DM'd any games past lvl 11, so this is a learning experience for us. But also a "We never get to see high level stuff" game. So I do plan on having one Legendary Magic Item hidden in each of the Nine Hells, that they can find to help them out.

tglassy

Adventurer
If you kill Asmodeus where does he go? I assume you have a plan for him to just no reform, so where would he go?
If I'm not mistaken, Devils who die on their home plane are just gone. So poof, no Asmodeus.

So this is a level 11-20? campaign you are planning. Did you want... advice? Criticism (in the "what could go wrong" type of thinking)?
Yes? Any advice, thoughts, quest ideas, "How to make it happen", that sort of thing. I can do all that myself. I've got a good, long time before we get there, so it isn't critical to figure it out now. But I thought I'd see what others thought on the subject, and maybe grab some ideas.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Asmodeus is a prisoner of the nine hells. Even if not physically, his duty to containing the denizens of hell ties him there, bound by some magic.

"Slaying" him frees him to become a different greater god. One not tied to the nine hells, or even necessarily this plane of existence.

So he's set the party up, just like Strahd did, to allow him to escape by killing his tie to the nine hells.

And at some point the stronger residents of hell become aware of this, and do not want Asmodeus freed from his duty. Nor may Asmodeus help the party accomplish this quest, as his magical duty prevents that as well.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
Possible arc story: PCs discover a way (book, scroll, tablet) to assemble a MacGuffin. If used properly against Asmodeus changes his alignment to 'good'. The quest in the nine hells is to find the parts.

MarkB

Legend
Since they're working their way through the Hells, maybe make that the key to defeating Asmodeus. Either they pick up items/abilities along the way that will swing the balance in their favour, or else each domain of hell that they purge of his influence weakens him.

I would think that Asmodeus' biggest enemies are the Lords of the other 8 layers. So the PCs could make deals with the other Arch Devils, with a final mega-battle Asmodeus vs Archdevils+PCs.

As an alternative the Archdevils could empower the PCs with boons that they will need during the final battle with Asmodeus.

Or the PCs have to beat all the other Archdevils before they can face Asmodeus.

I guess my suggestion is, you should involve the Lords of the other layers as allies/enemies/a-mix-of-both

Remove ads