[+] Star Trek Discovery (Fan) Thread

MarkB

Legend
It seems intersting that the Trill say there aren't enough hosts available anymore - that suggests that they lost a lot of unjoined Trill in the urn, which seems surprising - it seemed to me that the joined Trill that all went through the rigorous Trill training programs would be the most at risk, because they probably leave the homeworld and go see the universe. It didn't seem the planet itself was harmed by anything. Or had particularly the unjoined Trill gone into diaspora because there were no symbionts at home, leaving the planet with an overall low population, but all the unjoined symbionts still constrained to the Trill homeworld, potential joining candidates being recruited from all the Trill colonies?
Or have the Trill forgotten that there are a lot more viable hosts than they publically claim?
Maybe, in a nasty irony, that knowledge was still being kept amongst a select few, and all or almost all of that group were wiped out in the Burn. Either the knowledge was lost, or those who remained were so few that they didn't dare to face the consequences of revealing the truth.

If the truth was being rumoured, but also suppressed in order to stave off the feared public outcry, that would certainly help explain why Trill society had become so divided, and why its leadership was more concerned with preserving their ideals than with helping an actual symbiont.

Zardnaar

Legend
It's also a way to connect it to the audience as well. They could make up something from the 21-23 centuries but it would mean not much to us at home.

Probably a bit if a throwback effect for the audience as well.

I didn't get a decent look 3 Stooges or Laurel and Hardy?

MarkB

Legend
It's also a way to connect it to the audience as well. They could take up something from the 21-23 centuries but it would mean not much to us at home.

Probably a bit if a throwback effect for the audience as well.
It also feels better, if you're going to present something as a classic that's stood the test of time, to choose something that actually is a classic that's stood the test of time. Using something from the last few decades and presenting it as a timeless classic would feel somewhat presumptuous.

Dire Bare

Legend
They should totally have been watching Wrath of Khan.
What, in the shuttle bay for movie night? :)

I think a better choice to build crew morale would be the "historical records" of another time-traveling Starfleet crew in "The Voyage Home". More laughs, time-travel, saving the Federation . . . .

Of course you can. You can mention anything you like. In fact, they'd probably pay you.

I went to McDonalds last month. See! :)

Now, you can't libel anything, or represent yourself as being endorsed by them (or as being them, which is why I can't put a D&D logo on my book), but that's a different matter. I can still mention D&D in my novel.
I was actually talking not just about "mentioning" stuff, but showing/playing it.

Mentioning they tend to do, usually in the style of "two old Earth things we already now, one future/alien thing that we don't". Like that Elon Musk reference two seasons ago.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I was actually talking not just about "mentioning" stuff, but showing/playing it.

Mentioning they tend to do, usually in the style of "two old Earth things we already now, one future/alien thing that we don't". Like that Elon Musk reference two seasons ago.
Yes, you can show it. I can freely make a movie or write a book where the characters walk through the centre of London. I don’t have to remove the shops. They can even eat in McDonalds!

Remove ads