[+] Star Trek Discovery (Fan) Thread

Zardnaar

Legend
Recasting Spock seems difficult but from what I have seen the current actor did it well. Haven't seen the last 2 episodes but it new Spock is good?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
https://trekmovie.com/2019/04/19/al...ason-3-destination-hears-fans-on-pike-series/

Alex Kurtzman addresses the direction of season 3. It will be in the 33rd century. He also talks about fan reaction to Pike and crew.

Oooh!

"The fans have been heard. Anything is possible in the world of Trek. I would love to bring back that crew more than anything. It was a huge risk for us. One of the most gratifying things is to see how deeply the fans have embraced Pike, Spock, Number One, and the Enterprise. The idea of getting to tell more stories with them would be a delight for all of us."

Hussar

Legend
I’d love a Pike led Star Trek but omg can you hear the howls of hatewatchers pissing and moaning about how many twists a gold braid should have?

Hope the listen to fans.

GreyLord

Legend
Man, I'm still catching up on the Orville Season 2, it looks like I REALLY need to watch Season 2 of Discovery (watched season 1 previously).

Hussar

Legend
DAMMIT. I wanna see this. :D Gotta wait for the international walls to be broken down.

----

Ahh, clicky the linkie.

Yeah, can totally see the Andromeda vibe going on here.

MarkB

Legend
So, it's that time again.

I really enjoyed the episode. A nice blend a mystery, humour, action and pathos.

So, the Burn was the time almost all the dilithium in the galaxy spontaneously exploded, crippling spacefaring cultures by destroying every warp-capable vessel, along with every other facility that was powered by a matter/antimatter generator.

Fun fact, though - Romulan starships don't use dilithium, they never have. They're powered using contained quantum singularities rather than antimatter, so they don't need dilithium crystals to moderate the matter/antimatter reaction. So, even if they weren't responsible for the disaster, they should have ridden it out relatively unscathed.

I liked it. Particularly important to me that they said the time travel tech was banned after the end of the Temporal War. I always dreaded visiting this "future" of Star Trek, because constant time traveling just isn't what felt like solid Star Trek to me. Limited time travel is okay, but having entire temporal wars being fought, and Starfleet ships patrolling the timeline instead of deep space just didn't have an appeal to me. Doctor Who is great, but it is a different show.

Regardin the Burn and Romulan Singularity Drives: We have no idea what state the Romulan people or their technology is in, centuries after the Dominion War and the Romulan Supernova. maybe singularity drives went out of style.
Maybe the Romulans were the only ones that didn't face severe repercussions.
But turning all civilizations from dilithium-based warp drives to an alternate technology is going to take time. While all that cargo you expected to resupply your world with goods is either dead in space or burned up in space.

A catastrophe like that would probably lead to a lot of worlds turning their focus inward, trying to find ways to be self-sufficient so that the next time space travel becomes practically impossible they aren't screwed up.

It's like if on Earth all oil would suddenly burn up. Even assuming no one dies from plane engines falling or their cars exploding, that is a completely break down of supply lines and logistics. A few nuclear powered ice breakers, air craft carriers, submarines and electric cars aren't going to keep the economy going, they probably won't even be enough to get the injured or sick into hospitals...

Remove ads