Star Trek Discovery not getting any better I fear.

Zardnaar

Legend
That's splitting hairs Umbran. Morrus has been somewhat aggressive with splitting threads and intolerant if differing views lately. Throw in the insinuations as well and blocking people.

If you want ENworld to be an echo chamber just say that or change the rules and be clear what's permissible.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That's splitting hairs Umbran.

No. It is informing folks that putting a "-" sign on a thread title does not change the rules that apply to posts.

If you want ENworld to be an echo chamber just say that or change the rules and be clear what's permissible.

Dude, he wants to be able to discuss a bit of media now and then without having it swamped by the same old arguments time after time. That's not "intolerant of differing views", that's not wanting to listen to the same trash talk 17 times over. It gets old.

Zardnaar

Legend
Fair enough but he also implied we're all sexist if we don't like TLJ or STD got called on it twice. Comes across as an attempt to shut down dissenting views.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...tudy-says-not-exactly/?utm_term=.a0dbbb42d52e

Sure there's an element of it but it's around 10% apparently. Doesn't bother me if people don't agree with me at all and yeah I am a bit reactionary with the two franchises I care about but I have never insulted or implied anything about you or Morrus on a personal level?

4E ,Star Wars, Trek the main problem is when new takes on things don't seem to care about, respect or like what came before. Change is fine as long as you don't destroy what was appealing about whatever in the first place.

Derren

Hero
That's not "intolerant of differing views"

That I am now suddenly blocked from the other Star Trek thread and also Star Wars threads as Morrus put me on block doesn't help your case.

Too bad Morrus never explained what he meant with "I think we know what it's really about." for everyone to see.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
I did notice the last time that Morrus did his housekeeping on the Star Wars IX thread, several posts were disappeared from it and not added to the Episode VIII thread. I tried to reply to one, then found that it had disappeared.

Hussar

Legend
I doubt is Hussar, the fact the federation isn't using spore drive ships in later Treks indicates the technology never became standard for whatever reason.

They would need to remove it, alternate universe it, or wipe out 50 odd years of Trek lore.

Part of the mess is apparently the way they split the Star trek license so the new movies and STD use separate licenses.

ROTFLMAO.

See, this is what blows me away. This insistence to use canon as a club to beat people into submission while at the same time completely ignoring canon.

Let's take Deep Space 9 as an example. You talk about how they didn't have the capability of building ships. Really? Two class 4 industrial replicators rebuilt an entire planet - Bajor - after the occupation. 12 would have allowed the Cardassians to rebuilt their entire industrial base in a matter of weeks. They added hundreds of topedo launchers to DS9. They couldn't add a single replicator? Or heck, a Class 3 one and a crew to assemble the pieces?

Or, no spore drive... huh... Transwarp drives... Soliton Wave drive... etc. I mean, it's all well and good to complain about holes in Star Trek, but, good grief. Star Trek has more holes in it than you could could. Always has. Giant, gaping plot holes.

Let's take Klingons. TOS gave us klingons in face paint to show they were aliens. Then ST:The Motion Picture comes along, and it has a bigger budget. Suddenly klingons are completely (and I mean completely) different. But, that's okay. We apparently don't mind completely ejecting canon then. Fast forward to Discovery. Again, Star Trek is big budget. They've got lots of money. So, they redesign the Klingons again. Make them more alien and a hell of a lot scarier.

Oh, noes, they've destroyed Star Trek. The horror, the horror.

Or, we go from a captain that is the youngest captain ever, decorated numerous times, violates the Prime Directive more times than we could count, is never so much as reprimanded (heck, they make Kirk an admiral), STEALS a star ship, gets that destroyed, and poof, he's the captain again. But, a character does pretty much the same sort of stuff, and oh noes, she's a mary sue character that's totally unbelievable. Horror upon horror.

Look, I get criticising the show. That's fine. I'll do that too. But, holy crap. To spend two years watching a show you hate, only to then take the time to come onto a forum like this and, on a weekly basis, bitch about how much you hate the show.... well.... wow. That's a level of dedication that I just cannot fathom.

Hey, guess what, I don't like Game of Thrones. Never got into it. Watched a couple of episodes and gave up. Same goes for Walking Dead. I watched about the first two seasons and then realised I didn't like it anymore. Oh, and I did the same thing for Battlestar Galactica as well. Totally dropped it in the third season.

You know what I didn't do. Spend hours and hours pissing and moaning about a show I hate. When do folks just move on and let those of us who actually like something, like it in peace.

BTW, I didn't think mods could block people. I know we can't block them.

Zardnaar

Legend
Season 3 of Battlestar was weak. I would guess using a fabricator to make industrial machinery is different to cranking out starships. Also we have seen Star ships under construction in Trek iirc in the movies.

Not familiar enough with the other treks. I don't hate STD either it's had some decent episodes but it's weaker than DS9 for example and lacks compelling characters relative to DS9. It also has a game of thrones level budget and with shows like that, Breaking Bad etc expectations of TV shows are higher now I'm home. Golden Age of Television have you heard that term?

Last edited:

Sadras

Legend
[MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] I think the posters were blocked from the various threads not from Morrus himself.

As for GoT, TWD and Battlestar Galactica - they don't have the history of a show like ST with 5 series and a dozen motion pictures. The ST following is big...so people will watch it because they're ST fans.

Some will obviously complain of continuity.
Some of just poorly thought out storyline.
And others of both.
The protagonist exacerbates the issue since she is not likeable.

Hussar

Legend
[MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] I think the posters were blocked from the various threads not from Morrus himself.

As for GoT, TWD and Battlestar Galactica - they don't have the history of a show like ST with 5 series and a dozen motion pictures. The ST following is big...so people will watch it because they're ST fans.

Some will obviously complain of continuity.
Some of just poorly thought out storyline.
And others of both.
The protagonist exacerbates the issue since she is not likeable.

Now, that last bit? Yeah, I won't really argue with you there. I'm not really a fan of the character either. The whole, "Well, I'm a convicted criminal, sentenced to life in jail, but, hey, all that gets forgiven even though I started a war that killed billions. " Like I said, I'm not a huge fan of Michael as a character.

But, the continuity arguments I never really understood. Never minding that they've now answered pretty much all of them. IOW, had folks just waited a bit, the writers would have backfilled the holes just like Trek has always done.

What annoys me though, is this notion that just because I happened to like this or that Trek, that somehow I'm owed something by the writers and the show. I mean, heck, I wasn't exactly a fan of Enterprise, although the final season (ignoring the series finale) was great. Voyager blows large chunks after about the third season and isn't even remotely concerned with continuity within its own show, never minding the larger Trek universe. DS9's final two seasons were, frankly, painful to watch. Pretty much everything after Jadzia Dax dies is just not very good, with an occasional gem saving the season. First two seasons of Next Generation? Sure I loved them when they were first on. I was 12 years old. Of course I loved them. Rewatching them now? Eugh, thats some really, really garbage TV. Whahoo another scene of a bunch of folks sitting around a conference table discussing their plans in a board room.

See, to me, it's fans who hatewatch shows are the same kinds of fans that wear "Shut Up Wesley" T-shirts while asking the teen age actor to sign an autograph. Trek fans made Wil Weaton's life a living hell. It's the same kinds of fans that drive actors off their Twitter pages with lengthy hate screeds about how they've destroyed Star Wars. It's THOSE fans that I wish would find some other hobby instead of constantly bringing tons of negativity to mine.

Remove ads