Star Trek Picard SPOILERS thread

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I wouldn't rely on the grammar of a fan wiki to prove your point. From the show itself, 900M appears to be the number of people who needed rescuing. Yes, it seems low. But hey. Star Trek.

I dunno, it's pretty vague. It may have been the Federation's contribution to the evac effort. Perhaps the Romulans rescued more on their own. The main thing we know is that the Federation evacuated SOME people, but not as many as they promised. Of course, it turns out they had a pretty good excuse, if the ships they were fast-tracking to do it all got blown up by some crazy synth uprising.

MarkB

Legend
I wouldn't rely on the grammar of a fan wiki to prove your point. From the show itself, 900M appears to be the number of people who needed rescuing. Yes, it seems low. But hey. Star Trek.
The interview in episode 1 gives the 900 million figure, but Raffi in the flashback in episode 3 says there are billions of people within the supernova's blast radius. I think the 900 million were simply the ones that Picard began moving with the available fleet, while the larger fleet was still under construction on Mars.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The interview in episode 1 gives the 900 million figure, but Raffi in the flashback in episode 3 says there are billions of people within the supernova's blast radius. I think the 900 million were simply the ones that Picard began moving with the available fleet, while the larger fleet was still under construction on Mars.

Right. Makes sense that 900 million was the Federation's projected effort, and they failed to get it all done, by some nebulous number.

Vael

Legend

Scale and numbers all tend to be off in Star Trek in general. I remember finding the death toll on Mars (92,143) was actually pretty light given that the atmosphere of the planet is, according to the reporter, still on fire.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Scale and numbers all tend to be off in Star Trek in general. I remember finding the death toll on Mars (92,143) was actually pretty light given that the atmosphere of the planet is, according to the reporter, still on fire.
What was the population of Mars?

Vael

Legend
What was the population of Mars?

Unknown, but, according to Memory Alpha, it had been terraformed to the point that you could walk outside without an environmental suit before the founding of the Federation (ie, during Enterprise). And Star Trek Picard implies that the planet is no longer habitable, so those that didn't die in the attack have left.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You have an estimate though? Because you found a bombing death toll of 94K to be light? Or, I guess, what percentage is light in a bombing situation?

(I’m personally comparing this to the Blitz, but just one night, not months on end).

Vael

Legend
You have an estimate though? Because you found a bombing death toll of 94K to be light? Or, I guess, what percentage is light in a bombing situation?

(I’m personally comparing this to the Blitz, but just one night, not months on end).

I'm thinking more the bombing of Hiroshima x every major city on Mars. Explosions are visible from orbit, and the whole planet is no longer habitable. Mars is one of Earth's oldest colony worlds, so I'd guess it has a population in the millions, minimum.

Put it this way, Ottawa has a population of 934K.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm thinking more the bombing of Hiroshima x every major city on Mars. Explosions are visible from orbit, and the whole planet is no longer habitable. Mars is one of Earth's oldest colony worlds, so I'd guess it has a population in the millions, minimum.

Is that a thing? I always assumed a few colonies at most. Most UFP worlds are Class-M planets; Genesis was a big terraforming deal, and they never used it. Where are you getting the millions from?

Put it this way, Ottawa has a population of 934K.

New Milton has a population of 25,717.

MarkB

Legend
Is that a thing? I always assumed a few colonies at most. Most UFP worlds are Class-M planets; Genesis was a big terraforming deal, and they never used it. Where are you getting the millions from?
Put it this way, the Moon in Star Trek has multiple cities on it, and it doesn't even have an atmosphere. If Mars was minimally populated, why would they have bothered to terraform it to the extent of having a breathable atmosphere?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases