Star Trek Picard SPOILERS thread

Dire Bare

Legend
And yet, he has not one but two former Romulan special forces agents with years of training, contacts and direct insight and intel on their enemy but they can stay back home and vacuum the sitting room. Good stuff!

Yes, it's so badly written that it's one of the more popular streaming shows right now. Okay. It has plot holes, sure . . . I've never watched a Trek episode or movie without them.

Picard never asks his Romulan friends/employees to come along, and perhaps we should have gotten a few lines as to why. I can think of plenty of reasons that mesh fine with the plot, so it doesn't bother me, but it is certainly a small plot hole.

MarkB

Legend
I don't agree overall that it's badly written, but this bit sure doesn't make much sense.
When they asked him about contacting some of his old buddies from the Enterprise, Picard told Laris and Zhaban that he knew any of them would gladly put their lives on the line for him, but that he very much didn't want to go through that again with people he cared about so deeply. After living with them for over a dozen years, I'm sure that sentiment extends to Laris and Zhaban themselves too. Picard is almost certainly much happier knowing that they're staying behind to clean up the mess and keep things running in his absence.

Mallus

Legend
When they asked him about contacting some of his old buddies from the Enterprise, Picard told Laris and Zhaban that he knew any of them would gladly put their lives on the line for him, but that he very much didn't want to go through that again with people he cared about so deeply.
Bingo. It's made clear Picard is refraining from asking the people he cares about the most to accompany him. This includes Laris and Zhaban at this point in his life (but not, for instance, Raffi, whose relationship with JL is... complicated). He doesn't want to drag his former Tal Shiar friends back into that life -- outside of a quick trip to Boston -- and knows it would put a strain on Laris and Zhaban's relationship. He's unwilling to do that.

This isn't particularly flattering to Jean-Luc, this whiff of calculation of personal emotional expendability, who he is comfortable burdening, endangering even, and who he is not. But it's definitely intentional.

It's also ranks as one of the most insightful things Star Trek has said about getting old since The Wrath of Khan.

MarkB

Legend
Every party needs an Elf Monk, right? The only good thing out of this is that some D&D nerds are being paid for their hack writing and love for space elves. People have to make a living afterall.
I have to admit, I do like the concept of an honour-bound warrior who will only fully commit to a cause if it's a hopeless cause. It feels very paladin-y, in a good way - almost worthy of its own Oath.

Epsiode five was good! Special guest star Seven of Nine steals the show...and has mean old man Picard just sit down and be quiet.

And look, she turns out to be the ''Dr. Smith" of the group...wow very unshocking.

Mallus

Legend
A caper on Planet Seastead featuring phaser fire, pimp hats, and the observation that to be fully human is to lie to yourself and others... that was a rather unusual episode of Star Trek! But not a bad one.

However, this combination of flamboyant pulp and emotional intelligence is threatening to turn Picard into Farscape: The Next Generation.

Vael

Legend
However, this combination of flamboyant pulp and emotional intelligence is threatening to turn Picard into Farscape: The Next Generation.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Rios needs to either lose his shirt more or get some leather pants if he's going to match up against Crichton though. I encourage him to try.

Anyway, a solid episode, I do hope we get more Seven. I was sorry to see Icheb go like that, that was a gory end.

It's definitely interesting seeing these worlds outside the Federation's control, Freecloud was intriguing.

Mallus

Legend
You say that like it's a bad thing. Rios needs to either lose his shirt more or get some leather pants if he's going to match up against Crichton though. I encourage him to try.
Heh... I meant it as high praise. I love Farscape. And “Braca, do these pants make my ass look fat?” is one of the best, of not finest, lines of dialog spoken in televised science fiction (though I might be paraphrasing a bit).

It's definitely interesting seeing these worlds outside the Federation's control, Freecloud was intriguing.
I definitely want to see more stories told in this era of the Federation, and I’m still a bit surprised that one of the strongest elements of Picard is the worlbuilding.

The last episode was ok...but I had a problem with a pretty big plot hole.

The crew goes down to the planet "disguised." Picard puts on an eyepatch and pretends to be a bounty hunter ("I'm french! Why do you think I have this outrageous accent!").

How is it that one of the most famous people in the Federation (and one who had just had a widely publicized interview that was critical of Starfleet) was able to pull off such a ridiculous disguise and not be recognized?

Ryujin

Legend
The last episode was ok...but I had a problem with a pretty big plot hole.

The crew goes down to the planet "disguised." Picard puts on an eyepatch and pretends to be a bounty hunter ("I'm french! Why do you think I have this outrageous accent!").

How is it that one of the most famous people in the Federation (and one who had just had a widely publicized interview that was critical of Starfleet) was able to pull off such a ridiculous disguise and not be recognized?

Attachments

• d820a6360aac17636fc6e23ed0408ffb.jpg
    d820a6360aac17636fc6e23ed0408ffb.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 86

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases