Star Trek Picard SPOILERS thread

Ryujin

Legend
Got a strange feeling that this "synth federation" is going to be like the probe from Babylon 5. Smart enough to contact us? Gotta die.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The post-organic age wouldn't suddenly become a peaceful everlasting paradise. At least not without a lot of hard work - and if you're willing to do the hard work to maintain peace, you could have tried that with the organics, too.

That's like a second marriage. You thought you fought with your first spouse because there was something "wrong" with the relationship. You get into the same fights with the second one because... people don't agree on everything. Then you learn that you have to actually work and compromise to make a relationship work. Your second marriage works better, not always because you find a better partner (though the lucky get that too) but because you grow up more. (Of course, if you are a slow learner, this might be 3rd or later, or never happen - at which point the problem is almost certainly you.)

Hussar

Legend
Got a strange feeling that this "synth federation" is going to be like the probe from Babylon 5. Smart enough to contact us? Gotta die.

To be fair, that's something that has been explored in Trek a number of times. Particularly old Trek. Not so much TNG. But, all the way up to V'ger in the first ST movie, the notion of some sort of probe killing all of us has been done.

Ryujin

Legend
To be fair, that's something that has been explored in Trek a number of times. Particularly old Trek. Not so much TNG. But, all the way up to V'ger in the first ST movie, the notion of some sort of probe killing all of us has been done.

Except that it wouldn't be killing all of us, but rather all of them.

Janx

Hero
That's exactly what the show has been about since the 1960s. "New worlds and new civlizations".
the new worlds required a ship to go visit and see who's on them.

Finding a 8-star system requires a sci-fi telescope. Given how much of our galaxy is mapped already (enough to populate a video game), they probably KNOW where every star is, they just don't know who lives there. thus, the existence of this system should've piqued curiosity by everybody (maybe fed scientists emailed romulan ones asking about it and they lied).

Janx

Hero
My guess is that it was in former Romulan space? Or at least in an 'unmapped' part of what used to be the neutral zone.

It's "only" 26 light-years from where they were, which was Romulan space, I think.

By my math (and feel free to correct me, I've never tried this before) that would normally take 4.5 days at Warp 9.9. No wonder Picard seemed impressed by how fast they got there.

there might be some confusion. Soji's system is not the 8-star system with the Admonition thingy. I'm talking about that system specifically because it's something astronomers of StarTrek tech level would have seen from anywhere in the galaxy during mapping.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases