Star Trek Strange New Worlds, what did you think?

Arilyn

Hero
Yes but we’ve had 2 episodes out of 4 being the Enterprise meeting bigger, superior ships. It bugged me that happened in all three Kelvinverse films too. I just wanna see it flex occasionally. It’s a big, powerful ship!
In the original series the galaxy is a very dangerous place. Many starships don't survive their five year missions. Kirk survives through guile, a brilliant science officer and the ability to talk computers into self destruction. (And seducing female baddies😔) Meeting more powerful foes is pretty par for the course. If the Enterprise just flexes her muscles and wins, do we have a story? Yes, it happens, but usually at the end of the episode after the heroes have done their thing. Is that what you feel is missing?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
In the original series the galaxy is a very dangerous place. Many starships don't survive their five year missions. Kirk survives through guile, a brilliant science officer and the ability to talk computers into self destruction. (And seducing female baddies😔) Meeting more powerful foes is pretty par for the course. If the Enterprise just flexes her muscles and wins, do we have a story? Yes, it happens, but usually at the end of the episode after the heroes have done their thing. Is that what you feel is missing?
Not every episode has to be a military threat to the ship. If they were all episodes where the ship was in danger from a bigger ship, that would get tedious very fast. In fact, those episodes will hopefully be very occasional. It's like Worf or the Hulk getting beaten up all the time.

Arilyn

Hero
Not every episode has to be a military threat to the ship. If they were all episodes where the ship was in danger from a bigger ship, that would get tedious very fast. In fact, those episodes will hopefully be very occasional. It's like Worf or the Hulk getting beaten up all the time.
True enough! I think threats to the ship episodes were often done in the past to save money.😊 Looks like next week is a Vulcan episode. That should be good.

Ryujin

Legend
When it comes to the ship-to-ship stuff I found the fight in "Journey to Babel", from the original series. far more engaging than any of the episodes in which they faced a larger vessel in TOS. Maybe with the exception of "The Corbomite Maneuver." That one didn't really involve ship-to-ship combat though.

A small, fast, maneuverable vessel using hit & run tactics, against a ship of the line, had a lot more suspense for me. "Captain, their power utilization curve is not the norm."

I agree that so far they haven't really let Enterprise shine, except when over-awing a society that had no previous benchmark for such a vessel. Might as well have dropped into 20th Century Earth and melted the Eiffel Tower, just to show off. Enterprise is a Battleship grade piece of hardware and having a Constitution Class starship show up in your sector would be much like looking out the window of your seaside home, to see the USS Missouri sitting among the fishing boats. People would talk.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
As a plot point, the surprise attack works. But the details are a little off. The crew should have known they were vulnerable when the docking bridge was deployed, and should have been hustling to transship the refugees. That is in particular because of the attack on the colony. This seems a typical combat scenario which should be a part of training, of which star fleet provides in abundance.
TomB

Ryujin

Legend
As a plot point, the surprise attack works. But the details are a little off. The crew should have known they were vulnerable when the docking bridge was deployed, and should have been hustling to transship the refugees. That is in particular because of the attack on the colony. This seems a typical combat scenario which should be a part of training, of which star fleet provides in abundance.
TomB
Training scenarios generally come after an event that they mimic.

Hex08

Hero
I think I'm over Star Trek. Nothing feels new, fresh, surprising or unexpected. Comfort food I don't need.
To each their own but the Paramount+ era seems to fly in the face of that. You have Discovery (which I can't stand) which is wildly different from any Trek before it, so much so that for the few seasons I watched it I rarely felt like I was watching Star Trek. There is Lower Decks, an animated comedy set in the Star Trek universe and of all of the Trek we currently have it's the one that feels the most firmly set in the pre-P+/TNG timeline but is a wholly different approach to the franchise than what came before. There is Prodigy, and Picard. And we have Strange New Worlds which is, other than the visuals, the comfort food you don't want but others craved. If your complaint is that it is all same-old, same-old then I really have to wonder what you are watching because several of the shows are quite different than the pre-Paramount+ Trek.

Last edited:

Remove ads