Star Trek Strange New Worlds, what did you think?

I don't have Paramount+, but I have watched enough YouTube clips of Strange New Worlds to really like this new series. So much so that from time to time, I have tried to imagine a character of mine serving about Pike's Enterprise. As a security officer under La'an, no less. :p And a non-human one at that. ;)

Hex08

Hero
Another really good episode. The whole mind swap thing was so TOS and I loved it. We got more La'an and Chapel goodness, which is always a treat but I'm still finding it hard to care about Ortegas.

I've been surprised with how little of Hemmer we have seen so far.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Well the new episode was certainly different!

Mostly liked it and at the very least liked the fact that they were trying some new story lines but still be Star Trek (meeting different species and exploring the ones we know in a new way).

The Spock and T'pring story line was fun but pretty sad as we know where it (eventually) leads to.

Last edited:

Thomas Shey

Legend
Yeah, even in TOS we had to have really short memories, where the transporters are concerned. Theoretically, based on their uses in various episodes, they could eliminate disease and aging, just as a start.

Sliding premise was a problem with a lot of Trek's technological add-ons across the course of the franchise.

Well after 3 successive "must save the crew and/or ship from imminent doom" episodes, I was worried they might not have any low-stakes character-centric episodes. This more than delivered on that front. Go hijinks!

I've been surprised with how little of Hemmer we have seen so far.
I'm going to guess the explanation is that he has one of those four hour make-up jobs, so now that he's introduced they won't use him in episodes where they don't have a substantive part for him. It must be a relief to the writers to have a major character they are not obligated to work into every episode.

Last edited:

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Supporter
SNARFZODIACKILLER EPISODE 5 REVIEW

I CAME INTO THE EPISODE TOTALLY HEADBANGING FROM THE LAST ONE. I SWEAR ALL I COULD HEAR EVERY TIME I CLOSED MY EYES WAS THE PING PING PING OF SPACE SONAR. BUT PIKE'S POSSE HAD ME LIKE PUTTY. FLASH ME BACK TO THOSE RED VULCANIZED COMBAT TIRES BABY! FILL ME UP WITH ALL Y'ALLS T'PRINGS AND T'PAUS AND T'WUTS!!!!! AINT NO COMBAT LIKE A VULCAN COMBAT CUZ A VULCAN COMBAT DONT STOP!

UNTIL SOMEONE DIES. METAL!!!!!

SPOCK AMOK? DOES THAT RHYME? SPOCK AMOCK? SPUCK AMUCK? OH FU....

THIS WAS THE BREATHER I NEEDED. LIKE ALL AWESOME BANDS, YOU NEED TO BREAK UP THE AWESOME SPEED EAR BLEEDS WITH THE AWESOME BALLADS. ALSO ITS FOR THE CHICKS. AND FOR ME. AMOKING THE SPOCK WAS TOTALLY EVERY ROSE HAS A THORN. AND NOBODYS FOOL. AND NOVEMBER RAIN.

BUT IF THEY WERE ALL TOGETHER AND PLAYED BY METALLICA. I WAS HOLDING MY LIGHTER UP THE ENTIRE EPISODE. MY THUMB HURTS SO BAD.

BUT IT WAS TOTALLY WORTH IT, BECAUSE PIKE WAS ROCKING THE GREEN KIRK SMOCK. SMOCK, SPOCK. SPOCK, AMOK. AMOK SMOCK.

YOU KNOW THAT GREEN COLOR- MEANS THE CAPTAIN IS GOING ALL OFFICIAL AND SHIZNIT. NEEDS TO DIPLOMACY THE HELL OUT OF THE SITUATION. AND HE DID. PIKE KIRKED THE HELL OUT OF THOSE ALIENS. THEY NEVER HAD A CHANCE. THE FEDERATION ASSIMILATED THEM LIKE THEY WERE A PRE-WARP SPECIES ON THE BORG CHARCUTERIE PLATTER.

CRISIS.
AVERTED.
KIRK-STYLE.
TRUST IN THE HUNCH, CAPTAIN, TRUST IN THE HUNCH.

AND I HAVEN'T EVEN GOTTEN TO THE BODY SWAP. BUT YOU KNOW WHAT? WHO CARES? FREAKY VULCAN STUFF DOESN'T EVEN RATE WHEN NURSE CHAPEL IS SHIPPING SPOCK HARDER THAN FEDEX. AND CHAPEL LOVES SPOCK FOR BOTH BODIES SPOCK IS IN. CHAPEL PROBABLY WAS ALL LIKE, WHAT IF I PUT SPOCK IN BOTH BODIES AND IM THE FILLING IN A SPOCK SANDWICH? 'CUZ SPOCK CAN AMOK ME ANYTIME. UM, NURSE CHAPEL. SPOCK CAN AMOK CHAPEL.

......THATS JUST HOW A FREAKY DINGO EATS UR BABY.

OH YEAH. ENTERPRISE BINGO. COOL. YOU KNOW AT LEAST 2/3 OF THOSE ARE SOME VARIATIONS OF "SOMETHING SOMETHING TRANSPORTER INTERCOURSE." JUST LEAVE IT TO KILLFUN MYSTIQUE AND BABY KHAAAN TO IGNORE THE GOOD STUFF.

THEY DONT HAVE HOLDOECKS YET. I DONT WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE PERVS ON TNG DID FOR BINGO. PROBABLY OVERLOADED THE BIOFILTERS.

RATING: 7 "CAN YOU HEAR ME STEVENS" FROM CLEM FANDANGO

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
At first the whole blood transfusion thing bugged me too but the more I thought about it the less it bugged me. I figure if so many of the Trek alien races can interbreed then why not transfusions?
In the old series we learn that the Old Ones or whatever they are called seeded life on many planets, as well as move various human cultures to other planets. It makes sense that there would genetic compatibility in many species if they were seeded by that race.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Supporter
Word.

hehe for some reason I felt like I was going to see just one uncapitalized letter in all that text...just one.

I HAVE TEXT IMMODULATION DISORDER. OTHERWISE KNOWN AS LOUD TYPING.

I ACQUIRED IT AT THE AGE OF FIVE WHEN I WAS TEXTING AT A RATT CONCERT.

IF UR LOOKING FOR THE SMALL LETTERS, IN THE WORDS OF MY MOTHER, I WILL ALWAYS BE UR BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT.

#FREEHEMMER

Remove ads