Star Trek Strange New Worlds, what did you think?

BookTenTiger

He / Him
One thing I really liked about this episode was the design and concept of the aliens they were negotiating with. I'll put this in spoilers since it's resolved at the end of the episode.

I feel like the design of the race would normally be used for a threatening "evil" alien: orange eyes, sharp teeth, they looked sort of feral. Also, the guy outright tells Pike that empathy is their most defining trait, but I feel like the Federation assumes they are antagonistic rather than taking that at face value. I enjoyed how their demeanor changed with each interaction, and how it wasn't a simple case of mirroring the dispositions of others, but instead it was, in fact, very strong empathy. This was just such a Star Treky plot, I loved it!

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I think this show is probably the Trek series closest to the Original Series. I'm really enjoying it.

(I don't want to jinx it, or high jinks it, but this has been an amazing opening run of episodes. I genuinely enjoy Disco and Picard, while acknowledging their flaws. But this is the exact show that I wanted. I didn't know how much I needed this version of Trek until they gave it to me. It really is TOS, but updated to the present.)

Ryujin

Legend
Well that episode pretty much invalidated Chapel's surprise at hearing that Spock had a wife, in TOS episode "Amok Time", but it had hijinks so I'll take it.

S1E5

Oh, a fluff episode!

Well, it is nice seeing everyone being friends.

So Spock has a nightmare with elements from Amok Time....hummmmm (and with some nice original ST music mixed in too)

So...right at the start Pike KNOWS that Spocks fiancée is coming for a visit...but he STILL asks Spock to work? You'd think Pike would have just given him the time off.

So...Dr. M'Benga was fishing on a Starbase? Is that not a bit like fishing at a mall? I mean, it's not Really fishing.....

And...well, would not the Federation put fishing as wrong? Even if M'Benga is doing fish and release, it's still a bit cruel to the fish, right?

So the two ensigns were trying to sneak off the ship and sure got caught....but lots of others had done this and NOBODY else has ever been caught EVER?

I guess StarBase One only has One "StarBase Forward" so Chaple can see Spock sitting alone.

And here...suddenly...Spoke acts like someone how has been living with humans for decades.....

So when Spock and T'Pring swap minds...er....why do all the candles in the room go out? Is part of the ritual some pryoknessis?

Considering it's years before the Romulans get 'Re Discovered" by Kirk, Pike and Starfleet sure talk about them a LOT....

It's the Ye Old "mind swap, now do each others jobs"....

So the two ensigns were just opening an air lock....and they lost all shore leave AND had to scrub the transporter pad with a broken toothbrush? Seems harsh....

Enterprise Bingo?!?! Ok......so, some of these um "bingo square challenges" were written by like the lamest, dullest most boring person EVER. Like the person that punches out for lunch at 11:59...ooohhh.

Like...ummmmm...how is the Turbolift yell challenge against the rules? Is there a rule "don't yell in the turbolift?" I mean this challenge is like "get on an Earth elevator with someone else and PRESS THE SAME BUTTON THEY ALREADY PRESSED AGAIN! " Yuck, yuck, yuck!

And...um....Bingo #8 is sneak a tribble into the transporter buffer?!? So even with that beyond dumb Tribble Short Trek......um...where would ANYONE get a tribble on the Enterprise?

And #9 is sit on the captains chair......eh, and well....I mean it is all fun and games, but is that not REALLY, REALLY, REALLY disrespectful? And considering there are always at least five or so people on the bridge, is this one not near impossible?

So....did Laan and Una MURDER Dr. . M'Benga daughter when they reflavored the gum using the medical trnsporter? She is still stuck in there RIGHT? And they CAN"T use the medical transporter with out ERASING HER PATTERN FOREVER, right? So did they MURDER that little girl to play Enterprise Bingo?

So is T'Pring an augment super woman too? She is a tiny little woman, and she knocks out the criminal guy with one lazy half punch.

And Spock in T'Prings body wants to keep secret how they...ahem...assaulted someone in public?!? Yea...space cops doing assult and battery to catch a bad guy is all fun, right?

Weird how Dr.Bragga is such a Vulcan medical expert, and even knows about 'katara'.s. Sure he studied on Vulcan, but he seems to know everything.

And Dr.Bragga uses a sea urchin? Humm, must be from the Phlox Medical Text....

Is walking on the ships hull in a force field really "breaking some big rule"? It seems like very lame. Like what was their second choice? Take that 'don't remove' tag off a mattress?

I mean...if your going to break the rules....then why not get in the Shittlecraft GhostRider and do a fly-by of Starbase Ones control tower..... I mean if your not called into your CO's office and told "your writing checks your body can't cash", your not breaking a big enough rule....

Guess Hemmer just stayed on duty?

The aliens were funny....but boring. Maybe should have just been more focus on the crew? Maybe given Orteges her own tiny plot?

Oh....I did so love the use of that old tymey word HIJINKS, you sure don't hear that word much anymore

And...well...Spock never goes "amock", so why is that in the title? What, they did not like Freaky Stardate?

BookTenTiger

He / Him
S1E5

Oh, a fluff episode!

Well, it is nice seeing everyone being friends.

So Spock has a nightmare with elements from Amok Time....hummmmm (and with some nice original ST music mixed in too)

So...right at the start Pike KNOWS that Spocks fiancée is coming for a visit...but he STILL asks Spock to work? You'd think Pike would have just given him the time off.

So...Dr. M'Benga was fishing on a Starbase? Is that not a bit like fishing at a mall? I mean, it's not Really fishing.....

And...well, would not the Federation put fishing as wrong? Even if M'Benga is doing fish and release, it's still a bit cruel to the fish, right?

So the two ensigns were trying to sneak off the ship and sure got caught....but lots of others had done this and NOBODY else has ever been caught EVER?

I guess StarBase One only has One "StarBase Forward" so Chaple can see Spock sitting alone.

And here...suddenly...Spoke acts like someone how has been living with humans for decades.....

So when Spock and T'Pring swap minds...er....why do all the candles in the room go out? Is part of the ritual some pryoknessis?

Considering it's years before the Romulans get 'Re Discovered" by Kirk, Pike and Starfleet sure talk about them a LOT....

It's the Ye Old "mind swap, now do each others jobs"....

So the two ensigns were just opening an air lock....and they lost all shore leave AND had to scrub the transporter pad with a broken toothbrush? Seems harsh....

Enterprise Bingo?!?! Ok......so, some of these um "bingo square challenges" were written by like the lamest, dullest most boring person EVER. Like the person that punches out for lunch at 11:59...ooohhh.

Like...ummmmm...how is the Turbolift yell challenge against the rules? Is there a rule "don't yell in the turbolift?" I mean this challenge is like "get on an Earth elevator with someone else and PRESS THE SAME BUTTON THEY ALREADY PRESSED AGAIN! " Yuck, yuck, yuck!

And...um....Bingo #8 is sneak a tribble into the transporter buffer?!? So even with that beyond dumb Tribble Short Trek......um...where would ANYONE get a tribble on the Enterprise?

And #9 is sit on the captains chair......eh, and well....I mean it is all fun and games, but is that not REALLY, REALLY, REALLY disrespectful? And considering there are always at least five or so people on the bridge, is this one not near impossible?

So....did Laan and Una MURDER Dr. . M'Benga daughter when they reflavored the gum using the medical trnsporter? She is still stuck in there RIGHT? And they CAN"T use the medical transporter with out ERASING HER PATTERN FOREVER, right? So did they MURDER that little girl to play Enterprise Bingo?

So is T'Pring an augment super woman too? She is a tiny little woman, and she knocks out the criminal guy with one lazy half punch.

And Spock in T'Prings body wants to keep secret how they...ahem...assaulted someone in public?!? Yea...space cops doing assult and battery to catch a bad guy is all fun, right?

Weird how Dr.Bragga is such a Vulcan medical expert, and even knows about 'katara'.s. Sure he studied on Vulcan, but he seems to know everything.

And Dr.Bragga uses a sea urchin? Humm, must be from the Phlox Medical Text....

Is walking on the ships hull in a force field really "breaking some big rule"? It seems like very lame. Like what was their second choice? Take that 'don't remove' tag off a mattress?

I mean...if your going to break the rules....then why not get in the Shittlecraft GhostRider and do a fly-by of Starbase Ones control tower..... I mean if your not called into your CO's office and told "your writing checks your body can't cash", your not breaking a big enough rule....

Guess Hemmer just stayed on duty?

The aliens were funny....but boring. Maybe should have just been more focus on the crew? Maybe given Orteges her own tiny plot?

Oh....I did so love the use of that old tymey word HIJINKS, you sure don't hear that word much anymore

And...well...Spock never goes "amock", so why is that in the title? What, they did not like Freaky Stardate?
I think you liked this episode! You gave it two compliments!

Remove ads