Star Trek Strange New Worlds, what did you think?

Ryujin

Legend
I agree that while it was a good episode but it was the weakest of the three so far. I didn't care for it turning out that Number One was an Illyrian and an augment, it just felt forced to me. I also didn't care for the reveal that M'Benga was keeping his daughter in the pattern buffer especially since cryogenic sleep is a thing in Trek. On the other hand, I am really beginning to like La'an a lot.
And so is patterns degrading over a fairly short time, in the pattern buffer.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Define "fairly short". And he notes that he has to re-materialize her on a regular basis, to get around the problem.
Somewhere around 90 seconds I believe has been established. Beyond that has always been a risky exception. But, if a genius like Scott can get that up to 75 years, I don’t find it too unbelievable for someone to rig it for regular intervals.

Ryujin

Legend
Somewhere around 90 seconds I believe has been established. Beyond that has always been a risky exception. But, if a genius like Scott can get that up to 75 years, I don’t find it too unbelievable for someone to rig it for regular intervals.
That's also how I remember it. And even though Scotty uped the ante, as he so often did, the other person that was in the transporter had their pattern so degraded that it was unrecoverable.

Mort

Legend
Supporter

And as, you said, why is it even necessary? I mean, why use risky technology that's putting the ship in danger when easy safe crio tech has been shown to be available?

It's also pretty head scratchy that - sure they can cure a completely unheard of before contagion by episodes end but here's the doctor facing a disease that's stymied medicine for who knows how long.

I get that the writers were going for the dichotomy - but it strains suspension of disbelief to the breaking point.

But both are pretty classic star trek tropes - and the episode itself was still in the decent area - at least for me.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It's also pretty head scratchy that - sure they can cure a completely unheard of before contagion by episodes end but here's the doctor facing a disease that's stymied medicine for who knows how long.

In a sense they don't cure the contagion in the episode. A cure is handed to them (in the form of La'an's "chimerical antibodies"), and they distribute that around. Goodness only knows what's going into the official report, such that it doesn't reveal Number One's secret to Starfleet Command.

I get that the writers were going for the dichotomy - but it strains suspension of disbelief to the breaking point.

If you want a real straining of suspension of disbelief - put together how they are allowed to genetically modify crew to fit in with an alien species in the first episode, but the third hinges on how genetic modification is banned...

Arilyn

Hero
You want a real straining of suspension of disbelief - put together how they are allowed to genetically modify crew to fit in with an alien species in the first episode, but the third hinges on how genetic modification is banned...
I think because it's reversible? The Federation is not consistent or logical about this subject, which may be a deliberate point the show is making?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
In a sense they don't cure the contagion in the episode. A cure is handed to them (in the form of La'an's "chimerical antibodies"), and they distribute that around. Goodness only knows what's going into the official report, such that it doesn't reveal Number One's secret to Starfleet Command.

Sure, and yet the same trick won't work or even help with the Doctor's daughter because reasons. Sure the diseases are different but you'd think the doctor would use some of those "chimerical antibodies" for yet another miracle cure. But nope -because plot.

If you want a real straining of suspension of disbelief - put together how they are allowed to genetically modify crew to fit in with an alien species in the first episode, but the third hinges on how genetic modification is banned...
Yeah, you'd think that would be a no go for several reasons - and yet it pushes the plot along - so they're going with it.

Stalker0

Legend
It has long been known that many issues in most Trek series could have been prevented with decent background checks.
It’s a bit more than a background check though, if it was just that I could buy it. She’s gone her entire career without being in an intense situation and using her super strength?

She has been able to fool every ships doctor she has ever served with…even though we just learn her immune system is radically different than a humans?

With Bashir we had him being the dr that does all the screenings, so it’s a lot more credible he could pull it off. (Reality is it would still have been crazy hard, but him being the dr gives you that thread of belief to hold on to).

But I just can’t see how Unas could do it without conspiracy with the medical Corp

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases