Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's my experience. Here. Reddit. Pretty any place I have discussed Trek. Star Wars. Any media really.

"I like something... therefore it has NO problems and I will fight to my dying breath how awesome it is from anything that so much as besmirches its honour!!"

Because it's not enough just to like it while someone else hates it. The person who hates it has to be proven wrong. As if their dislike will somehow be contagious.

And vice versa.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
But I've never seen fans of the show do the reverse and agree with a detractor that something was a problem. (That, say, there was issues with the story and massive plot holes.)
Never? Honestly? You’re reading very selectively then. There aren’t just two types of people — stans and hatewatchers.

I also didn't initiate. (I purposly avoided replying to anyone who didn't reply to me because I didn't want to start naughty word.)
Language. Remember where you are

someone popped in to white knight the series with a "nuh-uh, you're wrong for why you don't like the show". And so I retaliated...
This characterisation and mindset is a problem. People can disagree with you without being “white knights” and you having to prove to them they’re wrong to like things they like. I mean, you put that in quote marks, but that’s not a quote of anybody in this thread.

If you feel you need to “retaliate” to something, maybe step back and ask yourself why you feel you need to do that.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Of course.
But casual fans aren't going to reply. Or respond to people replying to them. Or even really engage in a message board discussion of the show to begin with
So they're not really "seen".
While I’m a mega fan of TOS movies 2-4, I’m a casual fan of other Trek. I haven’t watched Voyager, and think DS9 is just OK. Saw maybe half of Enterprise? I’m no Trek stan, but I generally comment on stuff I like. But stuff I don’t like... I don’t watch it, and therefore can’t really comment on it. Thus hatewatchers. That’s what I don’t get.

So yeah, people who aren’t stans or hatewatchers exist. They like stuff, and talk about the stuff they like. Criticism is fine, but relentless negativity just makes it not fun to talk about.

Because I have an compulsion to reply back when people reply to me and get mild anxiety spikes when I don't as it feels like I'm leaving something undone. It slowly nags at me like a spreading itch I just can't scratch.
And I then repeatedly mentally continue the conversation for the next several hours until I finally break down and reply or managed to finally find something to get the conversation out of my head.

I get that.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Liking it is fine.
But...
In my experiences, fans of the show tend to just make excuses for the quality and problems.

This is extremely insulting.

That's kind of enough to make me stop listening to your critique. Anyone who disagrees with you gets put in a box, and dismissed wholesale? That's some prime rhetorical nonsense, right there.

So, thanks for letting me know to not discuss matters of taste with you.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Because I have an compulsion to reply back when people reply to me and get mild anxiety spikes when I don't as it feels like I'm leaving something undone. It slowly nags at me like a spreading itch I just can't scratch.
And I then repeatedly mentally continue the conversation for the next several hours until I finally break down and reply or managed to finally find something to get the conversation out of my head.

That sounds like a you problem to me, but you put it on them to make it a them problem because they're the ones who triggered you and they're the ones you condescend to.

Remove ads