Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
OK, this is getting a little more personal than I'm comfortable with. I get where Jester David is coming from. No need to pile on.

That sounds like a you problem to me, but you put it on them to make it a them problem because they're the ones who triggered you and they're the ones you condescend to.
I have many of my own problems. Many.

But I also just dislike conversing with people who can’t look critically at media and either reduce it to being the GOAT or the literal worst with no nuance between the extremes. It’s either 10/10 or 0/10.
Because there’s no conversation. It ends up just the same as “discussing” politics or religion.

Because I have an compulsion to reply back when people reply to me and get mild anxiety spikes when I don't as it feels like I'm leaving something undone. It slowly nags at me like a spreading itch I just can't scratch.
And I then repeatedly mentally continue the conversation for the next several hours until I finally break down and reply or managed to finally find something to get the conversation out of my head.

duty_calls.png

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I have been reminded about that comic many times as I frantically type away at my iPad while in bed. There's a reason I left ENWorld and social media for a long time.
If it's any comfort, most every internet user shares that feeling. Some more than others, but a quick glance at social media will show that it's prevalent.

Dire Bare

Legend
But I also just dislike conversing with people who can’t look critically at media and either reduce it to being the GOAT or the literal worst with no nuance between the extremes. It’s either 10/10 or 0/10.
Because there’s no conversation. It ends up just the same as “discussing” politics or religion.

Because some of us disagree with you on certain points, we can't look critically at media? Okay.

Personally, I'm a pretty big fan of Star Trek, but not to the point where I have an encyclopedic knowledge of the franchise. I've seen all the TV shows and movies, but I'm realizing now (as I have been doing a Next Gen re-watch) that there are tons of episodes I didn't catch when they first aired on TV, and tons more I almost completely forgot about in the decades since seeing it. I'm only now, during the quarantine, beginning to go back and power-stream the series episode-by-episode. I've occasionally read a Star Trek novel or comic, but not many. I have an Eaglemoss model of the U.S.S. Enterprise (Discovery-version) sitting on my shelf, and a more classic Enterprise model kit in my classroom. I just recently got back into Star Trek Online and I'm having a lot of fun with it (a fun, but highly imperfect game). And . . . that's about it. I'm a bigger fan than some, and a much smaller fan than others.

Star Trek is far from perfect. Some of the various episodes are downright awful, some entire seasons and even series are sub-par. Same for the movies. Most of the "prime directive" episodes work me up and piss me off . . . . But taken as a whole, I love it!

I've been really enjoying the new-Trek on CBS All Access including Discovery, Picard, and Short Treks . . . I've never enjoyed Trek more and the new series are my favorites out of the entire franchise so far. In fact, I'm more engaged with the Trek franchise than ever before, I'm going back and re-watching old episodes/movies and playing the online game all due to my excitement over new-Trek. I get that not everybody feels that way, that certain elements of the new series depart from classic Trek in various ways . . . . this really irks some fans, and others (like me) really dig it.

I don't always work hard at taking a critical eye to things that I simply just enjoy, like Star Trek. So? Every piece of media and art has its flaws, and they either bug you or they don't, doesn't mean you can't identify them or put the same importance to them that others do.

The idea that somehow my views and my enjoyment of Star Trek is somehow lesser, invalid, or completely uncritical is . . . well, it's pretty damn arrogant and insulting, quite frankly.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'm really looking forward to Strange New Worlds and it's (hopeful) return to classic Trek storytelling and themes. No reason why Discovery, Picard, Lower Decks, and Strange New Worlds can't all exist and be enjoyed at once and by the same fans. I'm excited about ALL of it!

Hussar

Legend
Yeah, count me in the camp of I don't care too much about canon so long as the story is interesting. I mean, good grief, Star Trek is a horrible mess of contradictory canon anyway. Complaining about not following canon in Star Trek is like complaining about ignoring canon in Doctor Who. :erm:

REALLY looking forward to a more upbeat, exploration based Trek series. Very cool.

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm a casual Trek fan. DS9 is the only series watched in total. That's because my wife also liked it and it was easy to watch.

I also liked TNG movies and some if the show.

Bogged down season one if TNG, Enterprise and Discovery though.

Liked Picard, didn't like STD Season one that much, two was ok to good. Wife also liked Picard.

She's ruthless when it comes to TV. She won't put up with a meh season to get to the good stuff. Season 1. Her idea of good TV is Stargate Atlantis, Gilmore Girls, Justified, Breaking Bad, season 1-4 GoT.

Yes I watched Gilmore Girls;)

MrZeddaPiras

[insert something clever]
I've considered the All Access stuff as a soft reboot from the very beginning. That was obvious to me watching the pilot for Discovery. My problem is that the references to previous Trek keep distracting me: Klingons don't look and don't act like Klingons, Romulans look like elves and act like samurais. I would have enjoyed Picard way more if they'd used another, new species. Which means that I would have enjoyed it at least a little.
Then there's the character-driven narrative, that in my eyes makes it distinctly non-Star Trek but just about the same as everything else you see on television these days.
I would bet this new series will have a season long arc to find out some big, dark mystical secret, a couple of perfunctory self contained episodes, and that they will introduce young Kirk near the end. That would break canon (that I don't care about) but will give them the opportunity for the story of a young upstart fulfilling his destiny (just the thought makes me yawn). Anyway, I don't think I'll be watching but hey, if you like it like good for you 😅

Last edited:

Remove ads