Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Mallus

Legend
Ethan Peck describing how he read a whole bunch of philosophy classics to prepare for playing Spock is the most Star Trek thing imaginable - outside of fighting a guy in a terrible lizard suit at the Vasquez Rocks with the fight music blaring..

I am so, so ready for Strange New Worlds.

Mercurius

Legend
I'm interested, but wish they would continue to advance the timeline - perhaps a show concurrent with Picard, but on the Enterprise (still E? Not a fan of F).

Mercurius

Legend
Jumping 900 years into the future on ST: Disco isn't enough advancement of the timeline for you?

I only watched the first half season of Discovery, but may get back to it. I found it somewhat irking, maybe because it seemed more centered in contemporary social-cultural ideas, rather than the idealism of Roddenberry. But it deserves more of a chance, I think.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
...it seemed more centered in contemporary social-cultural ideas, rather than the idealism of Roddenberry.

You realize that Roddenberry's idealism was not independent from the contemporary social-cultural ideas of his time?

Trek, has social commentary as part of its lifeblood. You want it to be focused on ideas from 50 years ago instead?

Vael

Legend
I missed Star Trek Day, have these videos been put anywhere that isn't geo-locked?

I'm stoked for Strange New Worlds, thought the other Enterprise crew was solid.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
For me, that takes it so far away from the setting I identify as Star Trek that it's not really Star Trek to me any more.

Trek Edition War!!1! :p

I'm going to guess this is like... most superhero franchises. You periodically see a story in which the hero's powers are removed or weakened, so you can see what kind of person lies beneath. Is Clark Kent still Superman when he can't fly or lift mountains, and isn't bulletproof? Are the Federation and Starfleet really that awesome when they aren't the 800-lb gorilla?

I think it is a valuable question to ask, and a worthy story to tell.

Remove ads