• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star wars and Sheilds

Venport

First Post
Ok: Some star ships have sheilds in the stats it says sheild points and DR assuming that i'm corret in assuming that when 20 points of damager hits a ships sheilds with DR 10 only 10 points go to the shild points right??

next when the sheilds go down all damager goes to hull points and the shilds DR goes away right??

I had a dissagreement with someone about this so i wanted to make sure i'm right

Thanks for any help

Ranger REG

Explorer
When the shield is at 0 hp, it shuts down (or goes offline), therefore its DR no longer function, until the crew are able to restore hit points to the shield.

It's up to the ship's hull (both hp and DR) to protect the crew now.

kenobi65

First Post
Venport said:
Ok: Some star ships have sheilds in the stats it says sheild points and DR assuming that i'm corret in assuming that when 20 points of damager hits a ships sheilds with DR 10 only 10 points go to the shild points right??

Correct.

Venport said:
next when the sheilds go down all damager goes to hull points and the shilds DR goes away right??

Also correct, but, at that point, the Hull DR comes into play.

Here's an example for you.

A medium-sized freighter, with 60 shield points (DR20), and 120 hull points (also with DR20). Assume the shields are up and fully functional to start.

Hit #1 does 40 points of damage -- the shields' DR soaks up 20 points of that, and the remaining 20 points damages the shields (which are now down to 40 points).

Hit #2 does only 18 points of damage -- not even enough to penetrate the shields' DR, so the shields take no damage at all.

Hit #3 does 70 points of damage. Subtract 20 points for the shields' DR, and apply 50 points of damage to the shields. The shields only had 40 points left, so they collapse, and the final 10 points goes through to the hull. However, the hull *also* has DR20, and that last 10 points isn't enough to penetrate it. So, the shields are gone, but the hull has taken no damage yet.

Hit #4 does 50 points of damage. The shields are gone, so you don't apply the shield DR. You apply the 20 points of DR that the hull has, and the remaining 30 points of damage go to the hull, which now has 90 points left.

Make sense?

Edit: note that restoring shield points (at least a few) is a fairly trivial action (move action, Computer Use roll). It's always a good idea to have a crew member at least partially dedicated to that task...when the shields get dropped, if at least a few points get restored, you get the benefit of the shields' DR once more.

Last edited:

Venport

First Post
Thanks I'm new to the game... I have plaed D&D and i have to keep my mind out of that game to get this one.. (it's so much better tahn D&D)

I've been having some problems getting my mind around some of the ship to ship combat... i think when i start my game i will run bolth a Ship combat and a Person to person combat before the accutal game starts just to get how it all works...

any other sugestions about ship to ship combat? what about fire-linkedweapons? is that one attack roll? and Double damger or what?

i have the below stats for the fighters from Ep 3 the weapons are fire linked how dose that work.. i get that it's like the ties in the moves where when they shoot it's two different blast at the same time... any help??

Craft: Kuat Systems Engineering's Eta-2 Actis-class Interceptor; Class: Starfighter; Cost: 180,000 new, 140,000 used;
Size: Diminutive (5.47m length);
Initiative: +6 (+4 crew, +2 size);
Crew: 1 (Normal +2);
Passengers: 0; Cargo Capacity: 20 kg; Consumables: 4 days;
Hyperdrive: None (Uses TransGalMeg Hyperdrive Booster Ring);
Maximum Speed: Ramming (9 squares/action);

Atmospheric Speed: 1,150 kmh (19 squares/action)
Maneuvers: +10 (+4 size, +2 crew, +4 engines);

Defense: 24 (+4 size, +10 armor);
Hull Points: 100;
Shield Points: 0;
DR: 10.

Weapon: Dual Laser Cannon (2 fire-linked); Fire Arc: 2 Front;
Attack Bonus: +10 (+4 size, +2 crew, +4 fire control); Damage: 6d10x2;
Range Modifiers: PB +0, S +0, M/L N/A

Weapon: Dual Ion Cannon (2 fire-linked); Fire Arc: 2 Front; Attack Bonus: +10 (+4 size, +2 crew, +4 fire control); Damage: 4d10x2; Range Modifiers: PB +0, S +0, M/L N/A

kenobi65

First Post
Venport said:
any other sugestions about ship to ship combat? what about fire-linkedweapons? is that one attack roll? and Double damger or what?

One attack roll; just use the damage that's listed. There's rules (I think in the Starships of the Galaxy book) for how to handle "unlinking" them; the damage that's listed in the stats is essentially the effect of the fire-linked weapons hitting the target together. (If you unlink them, you can take multiple shots, each one doing less damage; I don't remember the details.)

Venport said:
Craft: Kuat Systems Engineering's Eta-2 Actis-class Interceptor;
{snip}
Weapon: Dual Laser Cannon (2 fire-linked); Fire Arc: 2 Front;
Attack Bonus: +10 (+4 size, +2 crew, +4 fire control); Damage: 6d10x2

Assuming you're using the stock crew in the ship (if a specific PC or NPC is in the ship, use their ranged attack bonus rather than the "+2 crew" modifier), you'd make one attack roll, at a +10 bonus; if the attack hits, it does 6d10x2 damage (roll 6d10, then multiply the total by 2).

(Note that the "x2" has nothing to do with the weapons being fire-linked; pretty much all starship-scale weapons have some variation on "Xd10x2" for their damage.)

Venport

First Post
Thanks... i was 90% sure that the x2 was just the power of the weapon not the linked weapons because other non linked weapons have x3 or X2 ect... Thanks for the Help... So when a PC or NPC uses a weapon in a ship or turrent they use their base attack and any applicalbe modifiers (if they have weapon focus ect) Do they get their dex like fireing a blaster??

kenobi65

First Post
Venport said:
So when a PC or NPC uses a weapon in a ship or turrent they use their base attack and any applicalbe modifiers (if they have weapon focus ect) Do they get their dex like fireing a blaster??

Yup; it's handled just like firing a blaster, so good Dex is important. Weapon Focus probably doesn't come into play unless someone actually spent the feat on the specific type of ship weapon in question (Weapon Focus: Ship Guns isn't specific enough), but feats like Rapid Shot and Heroic Surge can certainly apply. And, remember that they *can* get multiple shots in a round if they take the Full Attack action and have a high enough Base Attack Bonus (and / or something like Rapid Shot).

Venport

First Post
would there be any situation when a gunner would not want to take a full attack option on a turret or COuld not take a full attack option? there is not moving assined to the gunner (if i understand it right) that goes to the pilot right??

kenobi65

First Post
Venport said:
would there be any situation when a gunner would not want to take a full attack option on a turret or COuld not take a full attack option? there is not moving assined to the gunner (if i understand it right) that goes to the pilot right??

(sorry, was out at GenCon SoCal, didn't see this until now)

Generally speaking, all a Gunner has to do is shoot, so the Full Attack Action is usually going to be what he wants to do. (Then again, if he's got Force abilities, it's possible he might want to be taking an action to do something like Enhance Ability or Battlemind...but if he's smart, he'd probably do that before the combat started.)

A gunner in a turret really has no ability to do anything else related to the ship. The Pilot is the one who needs to spend actions on flying the ship (though, even then, the Pilot can take a full attack action, and not even spend a move action on piloting, and the ship will continue in a straight line at its speed from the prior round.)

Remove ads