Star Wars: Andor

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Luthen's past, Jedi or not, is something I hope they can touch on more in season 2. @Celebrim and @Mustrum_Ridcully both make great cases on the both sides of the Luthen Jedi question. I don't know if it is intentional, but I love that the show has hints to support both arguments.

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
The sh
Luthen's past, Jedi or not, or something I hope they can touch on more in season 2. @Celebrim and @Mustrum_Ridcully both make great cases on the both sides of the Luthen Jedi question. I don't know if it is intentional, but I love that the show has hints to support both arguments.
As I mentioned somewhere upthread, Tony Gilroy (Andor's showrunner) has stated that Luthen's backstory will be revealed on the show.

Last edited:

Some people here and elsewhere wonder if Luthien might be a former Jedi (or even Sith). It's possible, but here is my reasoning why within Andor's more "grounded" feeling it would be wrong:
The time for Jedi to save the day comes later, after the ordinary people have done the basics. The Rebellion's foundation and growth must be based on the expressed will of the oppressed, the victims of the Empire starting to resist, not the whims of a superpowered individual. Only then does the legitimacy exist for what is basically a superhero to help them accomplish their goal. It's already the will of the people for the Empire to end, they just can't do it alone because the Empire is lead by a supervillain, too.

If the Jedi basically manipulate the Rebellion into existence, it loses legitimacy. Of course, some would point out that it's a symmetry, a Sith manipulated the Empire into existence, a Jedi manipulates the Rebellion to defeat it. But I think it violates the spirit of the Jedi being the good guys. The Sith do things because they want to serve their own interests, the Jedi do things to serve the interests of the people. For a correct symmetry, the Rebellion has to be started and organized by "ordinary" folk.

I could be wrong, of course, then you can all laugh and point.
I agree. It has also been mentioned that a Luthien toy
the assumed-to be a lightsabre he carries actually contains a regular concealed blade.

My feeling is Luthien-jedi is a deliberate fake-out.

MarkB

Legend
One way Luthien might have Kyber weapons on his ship is if he has a history with Galen Erso. It's already confirmed that Saw Gerrera is a mutual acquaintance.
Or they might not be lightsaber tech at all. The LAAT gunships in the clone wars had composite-beam lasers that were functionally similar to those on Luthen's ship, and they were mass-produced.

Ryujin

Legend
Or they might not be lightsaber tech at all. The LAAT gunships in the clone wars had composite-beam lasers that were functionally similar to those on Luthen's ship, and they were mass-produced.
But Luthen has already been shown to have access to at least one Kyber Crystal, which is what makes me think that might be the tech involved.

Celebrim

Legend
I think we have seen in the show that it is a collapsible walking stick. It may also serve as weapon but we have not seen it used as such so far.

I believe the blade was shown in episode 2 or 3.

It's important to consider that the toy maker is making the two based off what was revealed to them in footage given to them for the first episode. The fact that Luthen's collapsible walking stick also has a concealed blade in the hilt does not explain Luthen's behavior or the writer's continually reminding us of the existence of his accessory.

Luthen's stick at the least is his "James Bond" toy. He values it as something more than a walking stick with a concealed vibro-knife in the hilt. It's part of his signature and his persona, and the writers really don't want the audience to forget it.

So they have a plan for it of some such, and it's not just for hiking.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend

It's important to consider that the two maker is making the two based off what was revealed to them in footage given to them for the first episode. The fact that Luthen's collapsible walking stick also has a concealed blade in the hilt does not explain Luthen's behavior or the writer's continually reminding us of the existence of his accessory.

Luthen's stick at the least is his "James Bond" toy. He values it as something more than a walking stick with a concealed vibro-knife in the hilt. It's part of his signature and his persona, and the writers really don't want the audience to forget it.

Is it really that prominent? I saw it when it was highlighted in the frisking scene when he visited Saw, but I have no conscious memory of having seen it in any other scene. Certainly I wouldn't consider it as having been continually brought to light.

Ryujin

Legend

It's important to consider that the two maker is making the two based off what was revealed to them in footage given to them for the first episode. The fact that Luthen's collapsible walking stick also has a concealed blade in the hilt does not explain Luthen's behavior or the writer's continually reminding us of the existence of his accessory.

It has a certain "Chekov's Gun" feel to it.

Remove ads