• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Wars Scratch Lottery Tickets

Villano

First Post
ShrinkyLink said:
I just find it funny how a company that proclaims Star Wars is for kids is now telling them it's okay to blow two bucks on a potentially dangerous addictive pastime.

During a review for RotS, someone pointed out the hypocrisy of Lucas making the film PG-13 and warning parents that they shouldn't take little kids, while simultaneously marketing it to kids with toys, Burger King Kid's Meals, etc.

Lucas wants to have it both ways. It's for kids when he wants to sell something to kids, and for adults when he wants to sell something to them.

I do agree that Lucas is a hypocrite in this instance. You don't tell kids that they shouldn't go to a movie and then market it directly to them.

Villano

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Jurrasic Park had toys...

So have many other PG-13 movies. I think people just look for a reason to go after Lucas.

Wild, Wild West, another PG-13 film, had a Burger King Kids Meal, too.

Anyway, just because other people have done it, doesn't make it right. Especially, when you make a big deal about how "dark" your film is.

Last edited:

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
I think people just look for a reason to go after Lucas.

I think so too... Sad too.

As for Star Wars and toys. That's big market business and something that Lucas has always done... Not everyone buying those toys is a kid nor do I think they are aimed strictly at kids.

Brother Shatterstone said:
Didn't Han Solo win the Millennium Falcon by gambling? :confused:
That and the entire Pod Race scene of Episode I was about Qui-Gon gambling everything on the race, and his little moral advice about it to Watto when he bet against Anakin and was wiped out: "Whenever you gamble, my friend, eventually you’ll lose" or Watto's advice to Anakin "Better stop your friends betting, or I'll end up owning him, too."

The EU has been replete with gamblers: Lando a professional gambler in addition to entrepeneur, Han was a card shark at sabacc (a card game similar to poker and blackjack with lots of references in the EU, including full rules), in the EU the Herglics have a racial gambling addiction.

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Aeson said:
I think the burger king comercials are worse than that. Everytime I see them especially with the Jedi helping the kid with his ketchup I hid my face in my hands and regret being a Star Wars fan.

I liked that commercial!

Villano

First Post
Brother Shatterstone said:
I think so too... Sad too.

As for Star Wars and toys. That's big market business and something that Lucas has always done... Not everyone buying those toys is a kid nor do I think they are aimed strictly at kids.

*sigh* We're not doing the "Lucas Haters" thing again, are we? I swear, Star Wars fanboys are worse than Star Trek fanboys. :eek:

Look, when Lucas does interviews stressing how dark his film is and warns that it may not be suitable for kids, entertainment reporters and critics are going to notice little things like Burger King KIDS Meals and children's clothes and Legos and other toys aimed for the very young and call him on the hypocricy of it.

True, Lucas has always done toys, but he never before warned parents not to take little kids to his movie.

It may shock some people to know, but reporters and critics don't walk around conspiring to "get" George Lucas. :p

Remove ads