• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Wars Spoilers Thread [Spoilers]

So here's my review: 100% a Star Wars film which belongs with the original trilogy. It's a transitional film, but it does it well. The new generation is really good. I think the major death was kinda signposted a bit. You knew it was coming long before it happened. I felt worse for Chewie, but he, Rey, and BB8 make a great team. Is this the first Star Wars film where nobody gets their...

So here's my review: 100% a Star Wars film which belongs with the original trilogy.

It's a transitional film, but it does it well. The new generation is really good.

I think the major death was kinda signposted a bit. You knew it was coming long before it happened. I felt worse for Chewie, but he, Rey, and BB8 make a great team.

Is this the first Star Wars film where nobody gets their hand cut off?

Luke lives in Ireland, eh?

Question: WHY was there a map to Luke, and why was it split into two? I feel like I missed something. For that matter, why a map and not just some coordinates? Seems like a random puzzle set up for the sake of it.
ebdc7e9da0a98a020498d701b47512ef.jpg

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
No, he was "keeping low" so that the Falcon would not be detected.

Yeah, 'cause doing a belly-skid through the snow up to the edge of a cliff was his plan all along!

Han Solo is actually a cat. No matter what happens, he walks a way with, "I meant to do that!" :p

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The only time Rey flew by her self she managed to get into space to be captured by Han.

Exactly when in the movie did she crash?

I was uninterested the "definition of the word 'crash'" discussion when I lasted posted that I was. Now I'm in an actual coma. It's just not interesting to me. Sorry! You carry on and enjoy, though! :)

So, you figure the fact that the first movie had a Death Star, the second had a Super Star Destroyer, and the third another Death Star... had nothing to do with the trope? :p
The super star destroyer wasn't really a big plot point, just a big menacing vehicle. And the repetition of the Death Star plot in Jedi was a criticism of that movie upon release, and is a problem. It was one of the weaker parts of Episode VI.
A plot problem doesn't become less of a plot problem when it's repeated, and just becomes more unoriginal.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think it's safe to say that when someone fixates solely on the dictionary definition of one word somebody casually used, they've pretty much departed the debate. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
A plot problem doesn't become less of a plot problem when it's repeated, and just becomes more unoriginal.

Originality is hard to come by - as noted upthread, while the statement that there are no new plots may not be technically accurate, there's something to be noted in the practical difficulty in coming up with them. And new, for the sake of new, isn't actually adding value.

Moreover, it can be seen as saying something about evil - that it isn't terribly original itself, that Evil and creativity don't go hand in hand. The Emperor isn't actually good at *building* thing, only at destroying things.

It isn't really a "plot problem" insofar as there's no reason this couldn't or shouldn't happen, in terms of the fiction's internal consistency - it even seems sensible, in that the Empire has the upper hand at the end of Empire Strikes Back - why would they feel a need to try something different? Nor is it a plot problem, in the sense that while the icon is repeated, the path to dealing with the thing - the actual plot - is very different.

It is a repeated trope, yes. But that's what genre pieces do - stick to a set of tropes to support common themes and styles. Megaweapons are a Star Wars trope.

MarkB

Legend
However Luke requires training to use the lightsabre, and even then he loses pretty much every battle he is in using it. You see Luke fail on several occasions. He also starts the film as a whinny bitch, but develops as the series goes on. The only point of vulnerability Rey shows in the film is when Kylo Ren holds her with the force, before bringing her back to Starkiller base, yet within moments of that, she is blocking his mind reading, and developing mind control all by herself. Now there maybe some explanation for all of this (like she's Luke's daughter, and very strong in the Force), but I still think it would have made for a more dramatic film if the hero was a little more at risk, and threatened.

My takeaway from the mind-probing scene where Rey reversed Kylo's attempted mind-meld was that she didn't just pull a few memories out of him - that glimpse into his mind also let her see some aspects of how to use the Force. That's what led to her mind-tricking the guard a few minutes later.

I think Kylo realised it too - that's part of what's behind his warning that the longer she stays free, the more powerful she'll become.

The other part of that warning is an acknowledgement that this is an Awakening of the Force. Rey's strong innate Force abilities were sparked into life first by the visions from Luke's lightsaber and then by her meld with Kylo, and through the rest of the movie her potential is being gradually expanded as she begins to understand and apply the things she saw in those brief glimpses.

Desh-Rae-Halra

Explorer
Isn't there an OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) that would require some safety rails on small walkways over large mechanical chasms????
Also, where did the engineers for these bases earn their degrees?

Where were the Y wings? Did I miss them? Arent those the actual Bombers you would want on a bombing run?

Voidrunner's Codex

Related Articles

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads