• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Starcraft and d20 Future

MoonZar

Explorer
GoodKingJayIII said:
MoonZar, thanks for the heads-up. To support the idea of psionics, I infered that Ghost cloaking was much like the Dark Templars': powered by psionic energy. A lot of technology in Starcraft is integrated with Psi. I hadn't seen the Wizards thread, so hopefully that will be really helpful. After a cursory glance I don't know if I agree with some of their interpretations (Goliaths are way too big and Protoss have a whopping +3 LA), but it will be an excellent reference. I'll be stealing liberally from equipment, I'm sure.

Anyway this up to you, i also prefer that ghost use psionic ability to cloak. But in fact ghost don't really use psionic that much, they have a chip in the head to prevent them to doing it.

Arkhandus

First Post
Here's my version of a Zergling, actually...... I'm using D20 Modern for the moment..... According to pictures Zerglings are roughly human-sized. Zerglings are described as little more than feral beasts, while their subserviant nature to the Swarm lends them a weak will and little sense of self. So I used the Magical Beast creature type as it best represents the basic Zerg qualities (good hit dice and BAB, good Fort and Ref, poor Will, few skill points, proficiency only in natural weapons). The minor psionic nature of Zerg further justifies the choice of creature type, to me (t'would be nice though if D20 Modern had called that creature type simply "Beast" or "Supernatural Beast"). An important note to consider though is that I figure a typical Confederate Marine is around 3rd-5th level, generally being an ex-convict of some experience and skill, or a career military man who's trained hard to get into the academy, either way they get some significant combat training in the military. I'm considering a +10 increase or so to Massive Damage Threshold for all characters and creatures if I run a Starcraft campaign in D20 Modern/Future, but haven't decided yet.

Zerg Traits
Creatures of the Zerg subtype possess the following traits. Certain traits have specific exceptions and alterations noted for particular varieties of Zerg.
Fast Healing (Ex): All Zerg possess Fast Healing, but the rate at which they heal varies slightly amongst Zerg breeds, as noted in the individual entries. However, unlike most creatures with Fast Healing, a live Zerg regenerates severed or destroyed body parts at the rate of 1 per 1d4x10 days.
Hivemind (Su): A Zerg has a limited telepathic connection to other Zerg nearby. Any large concentration of Zerg in one place will also collectively transmit their overall emotional state empathically across space to an unknown but significantly vast distance. Zerg are constantly transmitting empathically and telepathically to other Zerg within 10 miles, and they can sense the general direction to any other Zerg within that distance by following such transmissions. Certain varieties of Zerg may transmit and sense to a greater distance empathically and telepathically, as noted in their individual descriptions. Zerg receive telepathic commands from Zerg Overlords within this distance, or from Zerg Cerebrates on the same planet (or equivalent distance), or from a Zerg Overmind within the same star system (or equivalent distance). Zerg cannot resist these telepathic commands from such superior Zerg. Zerg not within the controlling telepathic influence of any such superior Zerg will behave viciously and instinctively, and their instinct is to kill and devour anything organic near them, including other Zerg. Once they run out of organic things to kill and devour, they become catatonic until more creatures approach that they can kill. Thus, they behave as though confused (as per the confusion spell in the D20 Modern System Reference Document, except nonmagical) when not under the telepathic guidance of the aforementioned superior Zerg. A Zerg hatchery, lair, or hive within 1 mile can also keep a Zerg under control. Zerg Overlords, Cerebrates, and Overminds need no telepathic control from others, and can function normally and rationally without such input, while such superior Zerg are also immune to the telepathic control of others of the same kind. For instance, Overlords don't take orders from other Overlords, though they are still compelled to follow the commands of Cerebrates and Overminds. Likewise, Cerebrates receive telepathic orders only from an Overmind, while an Overmind has no master and heeds no telepathic commands.
Immunity to Fear (Ex): Zerg are immune to all fear effects, as their Zerg nature suppresses their survival instinct. However, Zerg with Intelligence of 3 or higher can still worry and can still recognize when they ought to be afraid, though it is not felt with any intensity, merely felt as a realization that fear would be normal and logical at certain times.
Keen Sight (Ex): Zerg have darkvision to a range of 60 feet, and also possess low-light vision.
Psychic Sensitivity (Ex): Any Zerg senses the presence of, and general direction to, any reasonably strong telepathic or empathic transmitter within 1 mile, organic or otherwise. These include such things as an active Protoss pylon, an active Protoss temple, a Protoss character with 5 or more levels of Templar, or a Protoss character with 10 or more levels in any combination of classes. Specially-built telepathic transmitter machines may also make themselves detectable from a greater range. A Zerg within 500 feet of any minor psychic source can sense it in this manner as well. This would include any Protoss characters or any Protoss devices that are psionically-powered, as well as any Terrans or other creatures with psychic abilities, such as a Terran "Ghost" soldier. Certain superior varieties of Zerg can sense psychic emanations from greater distances, as noted in their individual descriptions. Zerg are instinctively drawn to psychic energy sources and, if presented with a non-Zerg psychic source that they can sense, the Zerg will attempt to kill and devour it if organic, or will attempt to attack and destroy it if inorganic. Zerg cannot sense the actual location or form of a psychic transmitter, only the general vicinity, so their Psychic Sensitivity is not of any significant help in finding invisible targets such as a cloaked Terran "Ghost". Zerg cannot sense the presence or direction to any psionically-cloaked psychic transmitter, anyway. However, a few Zerg exceptions exist, as noted in their individual descriptions.

ZERGLING
Medium Magical Beast (Zerg)
Hit Dice: 2d10-2 (9 hp) Massive Damage Threshold: 8 Initiative: +7
Speed: 40 ft.
Defense: 14 (Dex +3, size +0, natural armor +1), touch 13, flat-footed 11
Base Attack Bonus: +2 Grapple: +2 Fighting Space: 5 ft. by 5 ft. Reach: 5 ft.
Attack: Claw +2 melee (1d4+0) or bite +2 melee (1d6+0)
Full Attack: 2 claws +2 melee (1d4+0) and bite -3 melee (1d6+0)
Special Attacks: None
Special Qualities: Fast Healing 1, Zerg Traits
Allegiances: Overmind, Cerebrate, Overlord Advancement: 3-4 HD (Medium)
Saving Throws: Fort +2, Ref +6, Will -2 Action Points: 0 Reputation: +0
Ability Scores: Str 11, Dex 17, Con 8, Int 2, Wis 6, Cha 7 Challenge Rating: 2
Skills: Climb +5, Jump +5, Listen +1, Spot +1, Swim +1, Survival +1
Feats: Improved Initiative
Possessions: None

Zergling description goes here, whenever I bother writing it up. :lol:

Species Traits
Bonus Feat: Zerglings gain Improved Initiative as a bonus feat.
Fast Healing (Ex): Zerglings heal 1 hit point of lethal damage (or nonlethal if it is the only hit point damage remaining) per round. This functions otherwise as per the typical Zerg trait of Fast Healing.
Skill Bonuses: Zerglings gain a +2 species bonus on Climb and Survival checks.
Zerg Traits: A Zergling possesses the standard Zerg traits as defined elsewhere.
Zergling Advancement: Zerglings are adaptable creatures and may grow in strength, speed, and resilience with certain genetic manipulations by nearby Zerg hatcheries, lairs, or hives. Zerglings advanced to 3 hit dice gain a +2 increase to Strength, an increase of +20 feet to their base land speed, a burrow speed of 5 feet, and Damage Reduction 1/- functioning as per the same ability of the Tough character class. A Zergling can, and instinctively does, hide any signs of its burrowing on the surface, except where impossible. Zerglings advanced to 4 hit dice gain the aforementioned benefits as well as a further +2 increase to Strength, an increase of Damage Reduction to 2/-, an increase of +2 to their natural armor, and an extraordinary special attack called Zergling Frenzy. The Zergling Frenzy special attack allows the Zergling to attack with either two claws or a claw and a bite with any standard attack and with any charge attack. The extra attack in that case does not count as secondary. Zergling Frenzy also allows the Zergling to attack one extra time with each claw during any full-attack action, with the same modifiers as normal for such primary and secondary attacks. Regardless, any time that Zergling Frenzy is used, the attacks made with that Zergling Frenzy all suffer a -2 penalty on the attack rolls. Zerglings advanced to 3 hit dice have a base Challenge Rating of 3 instead of 2, while those advanced to 4 hit dice have a base Challenge Rating of 4 instead. Zerglings cannot be advanced to 3 hit dice unless they are within 10 miles of a Zerg lair or hive, and a spawning pool. Zerglings cannot be advanced to 4 hit dice unless they are within 10 miles of a Zerg hive and spawning pool. Either way, they need only be within such range when actually advancing to those hit dice. The process of advancing Zerglings in hit dice takes much time and resources from a Zerg lair or hive.

BROODLING
Small Magical Beast (Zerg)
Hit Dice: 1d10 (6 hp) Massive Damage Threshold: 10 Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft.
Defense: 13 (Dex +2, size +1), touch 13, flat-footed 11
Base Attack Bonus: +1 Grapple: -3 Fighting Space: 5 ft. by 5 ft. Reach: 5 ft.
Attack: Claw +2 melee (1d3+0) or bite +2 melee (1d4+0)
Full Attack: 2 claws +2 melee (1d3+0) and bite -3 melee (1d4+0)
Special Attacks: None
Special Qualities: Zerg Traits
Allegiances: Overmind, Cerebrate, Queen Advancement: None
Saving Throws: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will -2 Action Points: 0 Reputation: +0
Ability Scores: Str 10, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 6, Cha 5 Challenge Rating: 1
Skills: Climb +3, Listen +1, Spot +1
Feats: None
Possessions: None

Broodling description goes here. Zerg Broodlings have a lifespan of only 1 hour.

Species Traits
Zerg Traits: A Broodling possesses the standard Zerg traits as defined elsewhere, except that Broodlings do not possess Fast Healing; their lifespans are short and their cells actually die off within an hour of birth, rather than being highly regenerative in the manner of other Zerg breeds.

genshou

First Post
GoodKingJayIII said:
http://www.blizzard.com/ghost/wallpaper/

Bottom left-hand picture. Both the ghost and the protoss are crouching, so it's difficult to say what their heights are. But I think if they were both standing the protoss would not be three feet taller than her. That's enough of the height discussion for me. I'll keep looking for flavor that spells out their heights, but until I find it the write-up stays. Oh, and I edited the Protoss post to add an optional ability for all of you Large-lovers out there :)

Looking closely at the picture, I can see what you mean. The angle at which the Protoss is leaning his upper body forward is greater than the Terran, and her shoulders come up to the tops of his pelvic bones. But his legs are straighter and it is also important to point out that Protoss legs do not entirely straighten like human legs do. So, when they would be standing she would get more height out of her legs. Still, I was always under the impression that the Protoss were about 9 feet tall, and that's the way I've always played them in my RPGs. We'll just have to wait for a better picture to compare the heights of the two species.

genshou

First Post
Thoughts on Large Protoss and LA

I think the Weren from d20 Future are a great example of how a Large race can be created with a smaller level adjustment. d20 Modern tends to be kinder with LA than D&D, simply because what makes a character more "powerful" has different factors in a modern/future game than in fantasy.

That said, I think a Large Protoss that could be played at 1st-level with certain penalties (just like a Weren can) would be an interesting choice for players who were creating "fresh" characters.

You'll also notice that a Weren has only a racial Strength modifier of +4. Since they average 8 feet tall (and Large ranges from 8 feet to 15 feet 11 inches), it is quite possible for the smaller of the Large humanoids to have less than 18 Strength. Perhaps that's an idea for the Protoss?

Aust Diamondew

First Post
genshou said:
I think the Weren from d20 Future are a great example of how a Large race can be created with a smaller level adjustment. d20 Modern tends to be kinder with LA than D&D, simply because what makes a character more "powerful" has different factors in a modern/future game than in fantasy.

That said, I think a Large Protoss that could be played at 1st-level with certain penalties (just like a Weren can) would be an interesting choice for players who were creating "fresh" characters.

You'll also notice that a Weren has only a racial Strength modifier of +4. Since they average 8 feet tall (and Large ranges from 8 feet to 15 feet 11 inches), it is quite possible for the smaller of the Large humanoids to have less than 18 Strength. Perhaps that's an idea for the Protoss?
I think I can definitley agree with you. Being large isn't worth as much when alot of combat is going to take place at range. And just looking at some Wotc monsters that are on the lower end of large doesn't mean they have to have at least an 18 strength score.

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
The Zealot

Here's the Zealot class. I'm new to class creation for d20 Modern/Future classes, so please comment on balance. I'll probably be posting this in my Protoss thread at some point, but for now I'll leave it here so people can comment easily.

The Zealot
Requirements
To become a zealot, a character must fulfill the following requirements
Base Attack Bonus: +3
Skill: Knowledge (tactics) 6 ranks
Feats: Oathbound, Toughness
Race: Protoss
Class Information
Hit Dice: 1d10
Action Points: 6+one-half character level, rounded down, every time the
character attains a new level in this class.
Class Skills
Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (current events, history, religion,
tactics) (Int), Listen (Wis), Navigate (Int), Profession (Wis), Read/Write
Language (none), Speak Language (none), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str)
Skill Points per Level: 3 + Intelligence Mod
Base Attack Bonus: +1/level
Saves: Good Fort, poor Ref and Will
Defense Bonus: +1/2 levels
Reputation Bonus: As soldier

1st Indomitable (+1)
2nd Claws of the Bengaalas
3rd Indomitable (+2)
4th Leg Enhancements
5th Wrath of the Templar
6th My Life for Aiur
7th Indomitable (+3)
8th Embrace the Khala
9th Indomitable (+4)
10th Fury of the Templar

Indomitable: At first level, the Zealot receives a +1 bonus to his Will saving throws against all fear effects. In addition, he may spend an action point to add this bonus to any kind of Will saving throw. This bonus improves to +2 at 3rd, +3 at 7th, and +4 at 9th.

Claws of the Bengaalas: When wielding two psiblades, the zealot is treated as if he had the Two-Weapon Fighting feat. He may only use this ability when wearing a protoss cybernetic harness or no armor at all.

Leg Enhancements: The zealot may requisition a pair of cybernetic leg enhancements. These enhancements grant a +10 bonus to zealot land speed and allow them to run at five times their normal ground speed.

Wrath of the Templar: The zealot may spend an action point to enter a furious battle trance. It takes a free action to enter the trance, but it can only be entered during the zealot’s turn in the initiative. This trance grants +4 morale bonus to Strength, +2 temporary hit points per level, and a +2 morale bonus to Will saving throws at the cost of a -2 penalty to Defense. This rage lasts for a number of rounds equal to 5 + the zealot’s Wisdom bonus, for a minimum of 5 rounds. Once the rage ends, the zealot receives a -2 penalty to Strength and Wisdom until he spends ten minutes resting. In addition, the zealot cannot use his Indomitable ability until this rest period is over (though he can use it during his rage).

At 10th level the zealot masters the full fury of the templar. For two action points he gains a +6 morale bonus to Strength, +3 temporary hit points per level, and a+3 morale bonus to Will saves.

My Life for Aiur: At 6th level the zealot keeps on fighting, even in the face of certain death. The zealot does not become disabled at 0 hit points and does not drop once they reach negative hit points. Instead, they may keep on taking a full round’s worth of actions. Each round the zealot does anything other than treat his wounds causes him to lose another hit point. Like other characters, when a zealot reaches -10 hit points he dies.

Embrace the Khala: The Zealot becomes immune to all fear effects and his Indomitable bonus becomes a flat bonus to his Will saves. He need no longer spend action points to acquire this bonus.

Last edited:

genshou

First Post
GoodKingJayIII said:
Here's the Zealot class. I'm new to class creation for d20 Modern/Future classes, so please comment on balance. I'll probably be posting this in my Protoss thread at some point, but for now I'll leave it here so people can comment easily.
Will do. I haven't made an Advanced Class before, but I'll check how it matches up with others I've seen.
GoodKingJayIII said:
The Zealot
Requirements
Skill: Knowledge (religion) +2, Craft +3
Make sure to specify the requirement as ranks instead of a bonus. Was that meant to be 3 ranks in any one Craft skill, or in a specific one?
GoodKingJayIII said:
Skill Points per Level: 3 + Intelligence Mod
You might want to drop skill points per level to 2+Int. The odd numbers featured in d20 Modern books assume human characters, so they have the additional human skill point built in by default. Protoss do not have that racial ability, so it'd be best to stick to the even-numbered convention used in all d20 System classes.
GoodKingJayIII said:
Base Attack Bonus: +1/level
Saves: Good Fort, poor Ref and Will
Defense Bonus: +1/2 levels
Reputation Bonus: As soldier
An exceptional attack bonus progression in d20 Modern (only a small percentage of classes progress as a Fighter). Nothing could be more appropriate for a Zealot. It is balanced with the other statistics, as well.
GoodKingJayIII said:
1st Indomitable (+1)
2nd Claws of the Bengaalas
3rd Indomitable (+2)
4th Leg Enhancements
5th Wrath of the Templar
6th My Life for Aiur
7th Indomitable (+3)
8th Embrace the Khala
9th Indomitable (+4)
10th Fury of the Templa
The class abilities follow a nice progression, aren't overpowered for their level of acquisition, and work well to create a vision of a true Zealot within the d20 Modern rules. Excellent work all around.

genshou

First Post
Starcraft characters and other advanced classes?

The Zealot is being taken care of. What about other unit types in Starcraft?

As far as Terrans go, advanced classes such as Soldier, Infiltrator, SpecOp (Urban Arcana web enhancement), Telepath, Battle Mind, Psionic Agent (for Ghosts), Dogfighter, Xenophile, Dreadnought, Helix Warrior, etc. would all fit well into the system. Some of these classes may work for Protoss as well. What about the High Templar/Dark Templar, and the Archon/Dark Archon?

Also note that certain other advanced classes not best suited for any specific Starcraft unit type are still perfectly viable in the setting, such as Techie, Engineer, and Technosavant. After all, someone needs to craft all that nifty high-tech gear!

arscott

First Post
I'm thinking the only human unit unique enough to deserve an AdC is the Ghost. They're pretty weird in that while they're psionic, all of the powers the rts unit has are technological. And they've got a psionic inhibitor chip in their heads. As for protoss, Zealot, High Templar, Dark Templar and perhaps a Judicator Class should cover it. Archons are probably best done as a high level class feature for HT and DT.

arscott

First Post
GoodKingJayIII said:
The Zealot
Requirements
Skill: Knowledge (religion) +2, Craft +3
there is no Knowledge (religion) in the game. It's (Theology and Philosophy). If your going to have a craft requirement, then you should pick out one or more specific craft skill, rather than leaving it general. Craft(Structural) is the only craft skill that strong heroes have as a class skill.

At the same time, neither skill seems particularly relevant to the Zealot. Knowledge and administration of the Khala is the job of the Judicator Cast, and Crafting is the balewick of the Khalai. Zealots belong to the Templar Caste, so perhaps Knowledge (Tactics), which happens to be a class skill for the strong hero.
Feats: Exotic Melee Weapon Proficiency (psiblade), Toughness
Is there any reason you think psiblade should be an exotic weapon? High-Frequency Sword is a PL6 weapon that does 2d6 damage and is usable with SWP. Psiblades should probably be archaic at best. But It would probably be easiest to say "proficient with psiblades" and then figure out the details once somebody posts psiblade statistics.

Toughness is probably a bad feat to use. It's designed for 1st level elven wizards, and is an incredibly poor feat choice for a melee warrior. I'd replace this with oathbound, which is an okay feat for a fighter type (it improves your aid another bonus for those who share your sworn alligiance, and gives you a +1 on attack rolls against those who don't). Plus it has the added advantage of putting back in the Zeal that I took out when getting rid of Knowledge(religion).
This one, I can't disagree with.

So here's my suggested requirements for the Zealot Advance Class:
Skill: Knowledge(Tactics) 6 ranks
Feat(s): Oathsworn, (Proficient with Psiblades)

These requirements are loose enough to allow Both the Followers of the Khala and the Dark Templar to take levels in the Zealot Class. If you want to restrict it to specifically Khala Following Protoss, then require oathsworn to be taken with the allegiance "Khala", and add in a requirement that Zealots be of the Templar Caste.

Remove ads