• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stargate SG-1 Season *200th* 10 *Discussion Thread* 8/18

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Staffan said:
My guesses:
Sam Carter does not go over. She would tread too much on McKay's territory.
Teal'c does not go over. His place is with the Jaffa, and wouldn't want to bother with fighting Wraith.
Daniel Jackson might very well go over. He has wanted to go there for a long time, and I don't think the brief time with the Fata Morgana LeFay was enough to satisfy his wish to explore the place.
Mitchell might cross over, but I don't think so. Atlantis already has competent military. He might take the place of um... the guy who played Skinner as commander of the Daedalus, and guest star a bit, but I doubt it.
Vala might cross over, but I doubt the Atlantis crew would want her.

As for the Atlanteans, I kinda hope they'll drop Ronan. His only role is as belligerent badass, and that's not a very interesting role.

More like the actor who plays Daniel Jackson is tired of the role and wants to finish it, Amanda Tapping is a bit tired and has a young child to take care of. The other three seem quite enthusiastic to continue for as long as Sci-Fi will employ them. So, if anyone moves over, it probably won't be Daniel Jackson or Samantha Carter.

BrooklynKnight

First Post
I could see Daniel Jackson appearing in maybe 5-7 of the episodes next season. Very partimer, enough to continue his character and provide for his family, and enough to spend time together.

Remember, Lexa Doig will also lose her job on the cast. I can actually see HER character moving to atlantis to free their doctor up for field missions.

DonTadow

First Post
Mistwell said:
I didn't see anyone mention BSG getting SG-1 cancelled.
STargate got canceled for the same reason farscape got canceled. Scifi found a cheaper show to make that drew better ratings.

Farscape got canceled shortly after stargate jumped on board, stargate had a huge budget to produce, thus not much money in the pot for farscapes exspansive budget.

Five years later its the same thing. Galatica is pretty expensive to make and it made more econmical since to invest in a critically acclaimed show than an old show.

Mistwell

DonTadow said:
STargate got canceled for the same reason farscape got canceled. Scifi found a cheaper show to make that drew better ratings.

Farscape got canceled shortly after stargate jumped on board, stargate had a huge budget to produce, thus not much money in the pot for farscapes exspansive budget.

Five years later its the same thing. Galatica is pretty expensive to make and it made more econmical since to invest in a critically acclaimed show than an old show.

Your theories aside, I have seen no evidence that this is a cost or ratings issue. As they said at ComicCon before they knew about cancellations, it's been 10 years and some of the cast and crew are getting tired of doing this, are having children in real life, and 10 years would be a nice round number to end on to go into the movie-making business.

Why do you think it's the same situation, when the circumstances appear to be so different between Farscape and SG-1? Do you have a link to something that implies cost or ratings or linkage to BSG?

And since it looks very much like they are making an SG-1 movie, which would cost even more and depend even more on popularity, how does that fit into your theory that it's all about costs and popularity?

Wycen

Explorer
BrooklynKnight said:
Remember, Lexa Doig will also lose her job on the cast. I can actually see HER character moving to atlantis to free their doctor up for field missions.

Since the new season started, or is that started again, I forget, I haven't seen Lexa. I've seen someone I thought was her, but is her name in the credits?

Staffan

Legend
Wycen said:
Since the new season started, or is that started again, I forget, I haven't seen Lexa. I've seen someone I thought was her, but is her name in the credits?
Her name was never in the main credits, as she was not a regular but rather a recurring guest star.

Looking over some info on future episodes
it appears she will be in episode 17

DonTadow

First Post
Mistwell said:
Your theories aside, I have seen no evidence that this is a cost or ratings issue. As they said at ComicCon before they knew about cancellations, it's been 10 years and some of the cast and crew are getting tired of doing this, are having children in real life, and 10 years would be a nice round number to end on to go into the movie-making business.

Why do you think it's the same situation, when the circumstances appear to be so different between Farscape and SG-1? Do you have a link to something that implies cost or ratings or linkage to BSG?

And since it looks very much like they are making an SG-1 movie, which would cost even more and depend even more on popularity, how does that fit into your theory that it's all about costs and popularity?
Google stargate cancelation and you'll find articles that talk about a 30 percent drop in ratings being the cause of the cancelation. IF you read the scfi article you just get a press release spin but other news articles indicate this was not an "ending of the series" this is a cancellation. Cancellation means that the show wanted to go on but was cut. Regardless of waht the actors say (saving face) not too many knew this was coming, especially after the 200th episode. I've ready far too many press releases in my life to fall for spin, thats why I get my news from other sources.

How are the situations different between farscape and stargate? Both fell into second tier status on scifi after a new show. Both have been reported to have escalating costs. If you recall, last year the writers explained that they had to use a number of box episodes (everything inside of the normal set) because their budget was too much. Just because they were canceled in different years does not mean that their situations was different. Actually, both shows were on five years, which I'm betting is the cut off point for scifi.

You had to know something was up when scifi canceled the stargate marathon on mondays and replaced it with dark angel.

As for the movie, its far cheaper to make a made for TV movie than to make 26 episodes of a series with different sets, union workers and tv execs. Heck, for the cast its no difference than a good two part episode. Heck its far cheaper to make a low budget scifi movie than it is to make stargate.

Mistwell

DonTadow said:
Google stargate cancelation and you'll find articles that talk about a 30 percent drop in ratings being the cause of the cancelation. IF you read the scfi article you just get a press release spin but other news articles indicate this was not an "ending of the series" this is a cancellation. Cancellation means that the show wanted to go on but was cut. Regardless of waht the actors say (saving face) not too many knew this was coming, especially after the 200th episode. I've ready far too many press releases in my life to fall for spin, thats why I get my news from other sources.

Like I said, they were saying this well before any hint of cancellation news. It was at ComicCon. I was in the room in the press pit. Nobody was saving face, as there was nothing to save face FROM. The actors didn't know this was coming (why would they, actors don't make those decisions), but they did make it clear the show was getting a bit tiring, they had personal lives that wanted to get back to, they had planned on cancelling a while ago to make movies, and it was odd that the show was even on the air this year.

How are the situations different between farscape and stargate? Both fell into second tier status on scifi after a new show.

Farscape never had first tier status to begin with. SG-1 was originally slated to be cancelled before BSG had even aired (it was renewed, hence the current plot was taken out of the movie script and put into the show). How are these at all the same?

Both have been reported to have escalating costs.

SG-1 had decreasing costs actually.

If you recall, last year the writers explained that they had to use a number of box episodes (everything inside of the normal set) because their budget was too much.

That is not accurate.

Just because they were canceled in different years does not mean that their situations was different. Actually, both shows were on five years, which I'm betting is the cut off point for scifi.

How about Farscape had bad ratings and high costs, while SG-1 had tired actors and an exhaustion of ideas and crew. Ten years is a long time for any show, mucy less a sci-fi show. Everyone knows SG-1 was on it's last legs for years, ever since Richard Dean Anderson left (and phoned in an entire season). It's nothing at all like the Farscape situation.

You had to know something was up when scifi canceled the stargate marathon on mondays and replaced it with dark angel.

How does that in any way relate to anything? Usually, stations play MORE of the reruns when they are cancelling a show, not less.

As for the movie, its far cheaper to make a made for TV movie

It's a made for movie theatres movie from what they are saying. And it is FAR more expensive.

than to make 26 episodes of a series with different sets, union workers and tv execs.

SG-1 was made in Vancouver Canada, not Hollywood (not SAG - and I know because my wife is a Canadian, and an actor, and checked it out at one time when she was considering auditions). It was quite cheap to make this show. And their sets had be fixed for about 3 years now. This was not about costs.

Heck, for the cast its no difference than a good two part episode. Heck its far cheaper to make a low budget scifi movie than it is to make stargate.

No, it isn't. And, I think you're just throwing your opinion out there and disgusing it as facts. You might want to think the situations are the same, but they are not. And you have yet to offer a single link to anything that even hints the two situations are similar.

If you want to be bitter about this cancellation in the same way you were bitter about Farscape, fair enough. But don't try and pretend you have some inside line to proof that you know for sure the situations are identical and you know why decisions were made, when all you are doing is wildly speculating.

Me, I am just going off of what the cast and production crew were saying before this announcement (and before they knew about it) - that the show was on it's last legs, that they never expected it to last for these last couple of seasons anyway, that they always intended to end it and move into movies long ago, and that a lot of the cast and crew are a bit tired and wanting to pay more attention to their personal lives.

That's proof enough to me that the reasons are different than what happened with Farscape.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads