• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: Ch. I [IC]

ethandrew

First Post
Taking a cue from the white woman, Ladreth makes his way in front of the door and stands sentry there. He is not understanding what is being said, but the bite marks on the village woman are simple enough to figure out. He stands motionless, his back against the door, a still vigil in this chaotic room.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
[sblock=Ashlyn]Ireena does not appear to be undead.[/sblock] As Ashlyn looks intently on, the weary Ireena acquiesces to Janis' suggestion, but refuses to venture to the Castle. "I am ill-disposed to venture to that foul place, and will be no part in your accusations against Lord ir'Zarovich."

[1 vote for the Castle, 1 against; 1 for checking the graves. There is also the matter of the woods and the Hill in a few days. Any other votes? Let me know IC or OOC]

pathfinderq1

First Post
"I'll agree with checking the Burgomasters' rest, but I don't think we're ready to brave the castle just yet." Tessa's voice is quiet, and it is obvious she is still thinking matters through- though she seems to have convinced herself for now. "Even if the lord is such a being- perhaps especially if that is so. We ought to try to recover the symbol before entering such a situation."

s@squ@tch

First Post
Marot the Deadly

"If the Lord o' the Castle is the foul beast that we may think that he is, surely he would not show his true colors with his lady love in our midst -- while the idea of using her as a human shield leaves a sour taste in my mouth -- if he turns out to be a misunderstood carpet-bagging noble, then where would the harm be?"

"But, I would like to know that Ireena's departed father is still resting comfortably in Dolurrh."

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Tessa said:
"Even if the lord is such a being- perhaps especially if that is so. We ought to try to recover the symbol before entering such a situation."
"Well we won't get a chance to recover the Symbol of the Raven until the ceremony on the Hill in a day's time... not unless you want to go door-to-door and ask people if they are members of the cult that want to bring back the Verdant Lord."

Jarrith stands up, walks his wine glass to the counter, and puts it back down. "So if no one wants to hit the castle... then we have the graveyard and the forest. We go scan the church's cemetary... make sure things are as they are supposed to be... then we head northeast into the forest and see if we can't find the sunsword. Sound good? Good? Good."

He begins walking to the door to leave the inn, and it is obvious to him that the alcohol is imparing slightly... but he pays it no mind. "Everyone ready to go? Let's meet outside in five minutes and get going."

James Heard

Explorer
Janis looks on as Jarrith takes leave of his senses.

A little more and he'll be as much use as Ismark.

" Mateusz!" Janis bellows.

" A blood-drinker has gained access to the Burgomaster's house, and this one is in danger. We venture to check upon the status of her father. Ireena must be protected and ensured that she is in no more danger," Janis says to the archivist matter-of-factly.

As Janis prepares her traveling gear she stops a moment for Ireena.

" Let this be done. Death and suffering make us greater then we would be without, but only if we do not succumb to them. You think I am no friend of yours, and perhaps I am not in truth. You are not my enemy though, and in this time of crisis every breath from anyone is a victory for us all."

Pulling up her hood to before leaving, she pauses once more.

I do not let myself be Tested to fail. Live. It is our greatest challenge.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
The archivist looks onward impassively at Janis' "command" and only smiles every so slightly. Ireena, exhausted from lack of sleep and her contest of wills does not respond to the Pale Lady, and instead keeps her eyes focused off in space. The others in the group look to each other, and apparently having no other words, join Janis and Jarrith in the town square. Landreth joins the company, and by his stance communicates his desire to follow. The group, having no desire to argue it currently, acquiesce.

Past the church to the north, stone slabs---mostly simple square markers in the earth---dot the recently trampled grass that grows at the foot of the great crag. Somewhere far overhead, the dreaded castle looms. But here, the omnipresent mist encircles the cemetery but seems unwilling to penetrate its heart.

Signs of the recent mass burials and cremations little the yard, but no others sign of life stirs within.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
"All right... so where's the Burgomaster's grave? You'd think that if there was anything wrong with it, everyone would have noticed it when you all were out here yesterday burying the other villagers."

Jarrith throws a look to Ashlyn and Tessa. "Obviously nothing of note was noticed by you two when you were both out here... so let's just confirm our suspicions quickly then head out into the woods."

James Heard

Explorer
Janis whispers a simple magical detection spell and begins to search.

" If the Burgomaster is buried then I believe that a mere cursory examination won't be enough, we'll need to find the body and set it afire to release the whatever spirit might inhabit it - along with anyone else this creature might have drank from."

" I would dislike Barovia if it were to become overrun with vampires as the rest of Karn is."

OOC: Casting Detect Magic and searching for anything remotely out of the ordinary. Oh, and any vampire mayors.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Janis said:
"We'll need to find the body and set it afire to release the whatever spirit might inhabit it - along with anyone else this creature might have drank from."
Jarrith smirks at the though of Janis digging up the body of the Burgomaster and then dropping it on a funeral pyre, and his snarky side comes out for the first time today. "You know, Janis... you never did tell us what happened to you when you went chasing after the thing that took control of Marot. For all we know... that thing was a vampire too. You aren't sporting any twin dot scabs on you at all right now, are you? Heh heh."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads