Stormlight RPG Coming from Brandon Sanderson's Novels

There's an official tabletop roleplaying game coming in 2024, based on the Stormlight Archive novels by Brandon Sanderson.

stormlight.jpg

The game will be produced by Brotherwise Games, and was announced this week via a livestream. The livestream was mainly focused on a miniatures line, with the roleplaying game mentioned occasionally. The system hasn't yet been decided.

With the game coming in 2024, the livestream did mention crowdfunding in 2023. Brotherwise Games is known for boardgames such as Unearth, and Call to Adventure, and this will be their first TTRPG.

Brandon Sanderson broke Kickstarter records this year when his Kickstarter campaign for four new novels became the most funded project of all time, raising over $40M.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
The game will be produced by Brotherwise Games, and was announced this week via a livestream. The livestream was mainly focused on a miniatures line, with the roleplaying game mentioned occasionally. The system hasn't yet been decided.
(pleasenotD&D pleasenotD&D pleasenotD&D pleasenotD&D)

That's a pretty snazzy graphic for a game that doesn't exist yet. I think @Morrus should get a copy of OLD on BS's desktop ASAP.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
(pleasenotD&D pleasenotD&D pleasenotD&D pleasenotD&D)

That's a pretty snazzy graphic for a game that doesn't exist yet. I think @Morrus should get a copy of OLD on BS's desktop ASAP.
The other cosmere TTRPG (the Mistborn Adventure Game) is very different from D&D on purpose, so I doubt that Brandon Sanderson would pivot towards making this new Cosmere RPG similar to D&D.

DonoZen

Explorer
The other cosmere TTRPG (the Mistborn Adventure Game) is very different from D&D on purpose, so I doubt that Brandon Sanderson would pivot towards making this new Cosmere RPG similar to D&D.
They talked about wanting to look at the systems out there, including 5e, or possibly making their own, and are going to be asking their fanbase what we want. Brandon said he has some very specific things he want's to see in the game system and is not sure yet, if any others might fulfill his needs and it's totally up in the air right now. He's very adamant about this being something that making him happy as well as the fans.

stadi

Explorer
I've only read the first three novels, but I don't think that this world / setting is really good for role playing games. Maybe if it comes with an adventure campaign that is somehow related to the novel's story. A new Mistborn version, maybe extended to Wax and Wayne would be much more interesting.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I've only read the first three novels, but I don't think that this world / setting is really good for role playing games.
May I ask why not? I personally think that Roshar is even better suited for an RPG than Mistborn because of how clearly characters "levelling up" happens.
Maybe if it comes with an adventure campaign that is somehow related to the novel's story. A new Mistborn version, maybe extended to Wax and Wayne would be much more interesting.
FYI, they did make an Alloy of Law supplement for the Mistborn adventure game.

stadi

Explorer
May I ask why not? I personally think that Roshar is even better suited for an RPG than Mistborn because of how clearly characters "levelling up" happens.
The world never seemed like one where people go on adventures to me. It is a fairly static feudal society, where all the people who have magical swords / armors are in the army of a noble. If I remember correctly, most people are not even allowed to travel. At least in the books I've read, we don't even get to know the world that much. Apart from a couple of shorter side-stories everything concentrates on the main story which plays in a singe location where not that much happens.

People levelling up is not what makes a world suitable for RPGs for me, but how much they can go on adventures. Let's say Star Wars vs Star Trek. Even though I'm a big Star Trek fan, I never really thought playing a Star Trek RPG makes much sense, or at least that it would be fairly limited in what you can actually play. In Star Wars you can be whatever you want to and there is space for that, because that's how the world was set up. In Star Trek, you are either part of Star Fleet, or don't exist (this might be a bit exaggerated of course).

Thanks, did not even know it existed, I might have to take a look.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases