Strange New Worlds season 2 - SPOILERS

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
The Engineer, they named her species twice but each time I couldn't quite make out what they were calling it and I wasn't using subtitles. Is it a new species or are they just El-Aurians?

I am a bit surprised Spock at this place in his life would be ready to steal the ship, but I guess I keep forgetting that he's basically emotionally unhinged right now until he resolves his issues.

Also, M'Benga in a bad mood and on combat drugs is scary. I guess we'll learn more about his war back story...
They sure sound like El-Aurians.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Yep this is why Vulcans suppress those powerful emotions. A few days on the emotion sauce and Spock is stealing starships!

The combat juice was cool but i really hope in the next episode we learn about their incredibly bad side effects or they are insanely addicting or something. Because right now it’s basically super soldier serum that seems to be side effect free. They could go with its “very hard to make” which works for the current timeline but wouldn’t hold up in the future when replicators get a lot better.

That was only real nitpick, a strong start to the season otherwise. Hehe this was probably the most realistic discussion of crew rotations in a long while, crew members on leave, PTO, on sabbatical…yeah with a crew that big there is always SOMEONE out of the ship :)

The “haunted war vet” angle works for me for Mbenga, I thought his story was one of the weakest on season 1 so glad to see a new direction for him
Horrible side effects or highly addictive would seem a good way to go. Otherwise we'll have another "prequel hiccup" they'll have to paper over.

The Engineer, they named her species twice but each time I couldn't quite make out what they were calling it and I wasn't using subtitles. Is it a new species or are they just El-Aurians?

I am a bit surprised Spock at this place in his life would be ready to steal the ship, but I guess I keep forgetting that he's basically emotionally unhinged right now until he resolves his issues.

Also, M'Benga in a bad mood and on combat drugs is scary. I guess we'll learn more about his war back story...

They are new species of humans, alot of folks mistakenly think they are aliens species, but Spock refers to her species living among OTHER humans undetected, not living among humans undetected, it means her kind is some immortal or long lived human offshoot species.

Folks make the mistake of saying The human species, but historically there have been many human species, like Homo Erectus, not just Homo Sapiens, humans is a catory of related species.

Next episode, we'll hear Carol Kane say, "The only way for one of my kind to die is to lose our heads. And whoever takes our head, takes our power!"

"There can only be one engineer of the Enterprise" Carol Kane screams before her sword clashes with Scotty. Moments later she takes a misstep and Scotty collects her head, the power unleashed by her death causing a warp core breach that Scotty has to fix.

It writes itself!

Trope #421: Star Trek Tribunal episode.
I enjoyed it a lot. Maybe the defender's monologue went on a tiny bit too long, but they kinda kept me guessing on how it would resolve and her final gambit was really nice. I really expected that it would be Pike that would do the final monologue, when the conspiracy charge came up, and speculated that he might use his fixed future that this isn't how it could work out (a Captain found guilty of conspiracy is not likely going to teach some cadets, right, but they avoided that.)
I guess the only that could make it better if this or a previous SNW episode had already used the regulation - though it's actually possible it has been used in some Trek episode. But even if not -there definitely have been cases where Starfleet Captains offered/granted asylum before, so maybe that isn't as important.

Also yet another episode where Spock has one of these strong emotional outbursts, he really needs to get this under control.

Remove ads