WotC Strixhaven sounds like it'd be a nice mini-setting for D&D

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Even the rabbit-folk aren't completely new to D&D. In the same supplement that gave us the hsaio (giant, intelligent owls), we got the pooka, fey shape-changers. Pooka, like rakshasa, aren't limited to a single animal form (tigers for rakshasa), but all of the illustrations and examples were of rabbit-pooka.

Yeah, for a moment here I was thinking Strixhaven is possible, but I'm back into the leaning "not happening." A whole bunch of cards have been released, and they are heavily owlfolk but really none of the other subraces.

I think this UA actually is intended for a Feywild product. Either it's a monster book (with the dragon UA) or the adventure path this year is Feywild themed. Plenty of Feywild material in D&D to get that UA to work, as you cite.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Even the rabbit-folk aren't completely new to D&D. In the same supplement that gave us the hsaio (giant, intelligent owls), we got the pooka, fey shape-changers. Pooka, like rakshasa, aren't limited to a single animal form (tigers for rakshasa), but all of the illustrations and examples were of rabbit-pooka.
True...but neither the Pooka nor the Hsaio look like the Lineages from the UA. What does, though...?

Owlin-Shieldmage.png

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, for a moment here I was thinking Strixhaven is possible, but I'm back into the leaning "not happening." A whole bunch of cards have been released, and they are heavily owlfolk but really none of the other subraces.

I think this UA actually is intended for a Feywild product. Either it's a monster book (with the dragon UA) or the adventure path this year is Feywild themed. Plenty of Feywild material in D&D to get that UA to work, as you cite.
There is a definite lack of Goblins, Fairies or Rabbits so far (though plenty of other Anthropomorphic animals...). Still not sure what they are up to, other than it is weird.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I went ahead and read the published stories on Strixhaven so far. Sadly, although these are fun short stories, I definitely don't think Strixhaven is fit for a setting. Everything beyond the school itself is just "Villages of townsfolk" and there is very little explanation on any history, nations, anything at all really. There is a villainous force ("The Oriq") but that alone doesn't really add enough for this world to be in the same level of complexity as either Ravnica or Theros.

There is a definite lack of Goblins, Fairies or Rabbits so far (though plenty of other Anthropomorphic animals...). Still not sure what they are up to, other than it is weird.
It maybe that they think those would be too obvious, so are keeping them hidden until the D&D announcement.

Hmm, not sure if tinfoil hat is working properly.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It maybe that they think those would be too obvious, so are keeping them hidden until the D&D announcement.

Hmm, not sure if tinfoil hat is working properly.
I mean, they aren't done previewing cards yet, so...quite possibly. Anthropomorphic animals seem like a strong theme, so Rabbitfolk are still really plausible, and most of the other anthropomorphic animals probably don't need playtesting, several already being in 5E (Torttle, Leonin).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I went ahead and read the published stories on Strixhaven so far. Sadly, although these are fun short stories, I definitely don't think Strixhaven is fit for a setting. Everything beyond the school itself is just "Villages of townsfolk" and there is very little explanation on any history, nations, anything at all really. There is a villainous force ("The Oriq") but that alone doesn't really add enough for this world to be in the same level of complexity as either Ravnica or Theros.

I don't disagree, it's a lightly sketched wider world. That might be fine if the point is to zero in on the "Magical School" as a highly specific Setting and genre book.

I'm still not confident that this is what they are doing...but any other possibilities seem less plausible. And those freaking Owls, man.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases