• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stumped on this character's AC

LittleElvis

First Post
Howdy, I'm wondering if anyone can shine some light on why the DDI Character Builder is giving this PC a 23 AC. I get 22 when I do the math on my own.

Dwarf Cleric Warpriest, 4th level
+2 Chainmail Delver's Armor
Heavy Shield
No feats that improve AC.
Guardian Theme (no AC bonus that I can see from that)

Thanks!

Al'Kelhar

Adventurer
The builder assumes masterwork armour is used if the "plus" is high enough.

... Which s**ts me to the max, because the builder also allows you to purchase specific kinds of masterwork armour (of appropriate enhancement bonus). As far as I'm aware, it's perfectly RAW to have ordinary (non-masterwork) armour up to +3 enhancement. As far as I'm concerned, this is a *bug* in the PC builder, not a feature!

Cheers, Al'Kelhar

Rune

Once A Fool
I don't have DDI, so I'm not sure how the current character builder works, but in the Essentials books, armor scales automatically with the masterwork bonuses; there are no specific masterwork choices to make. Maybe you're building a character with the Essentials rules?

Ryujin

Legend
... Which s**ts me to the max, because the builder also allows you to purchase specific kinds of masterwork armour (of appropriate enhancement bonus). As far as I'm aware, it's perfectly RAW to have ordinary (non-masterwork) armour up to +3 enhancement. As far as I'm concerned, this is a *bug* in the PC builder, not a feature!

Cheers, Al'Kelhar

The masterwork armours are a math fix so not applying them would be wrongbadfun.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Plus, as of the Essentials books, all armor has the masterwork bonus included. There is no such thing as armor without the masterwork bonus. And everything in the Essentials books is considered to be official errata for previous books.

It interacts weirdly when you combine the Essentials rule with the old Masterwork armors, however. Most of the old masterwork armors have no purpose anymore. Since a +3 suit of armor gets the same bonus as if it was made of the masterwork material from the old books. The only ones that have any effect at all anymore at the ones that didn't add AC.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads