• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

sudden persist feat

Flipguarder

First Post
So I have a buff focused favored Soul, I want to be able to persist spells, but the problem is even with the easy metamagic feat (lowers the spell level adjustment by one) I can still only persist lvl 4 spells. my plan was to use this on two spells, recitation (as seen in the spell compendium, I believe its original source has different stats) and divine power. But I had a thought that maybe some sort of sudden persist feat could be taken.

Taking into account that the more powerful sudden quicken spell requires extra feats other than the simple "any metamagiv feat" req I devised a feat to use sudden persist which doesn't change the spell lvl but only works once per day

Sudden persist {metamagic}
Prerequisites: extend spell, ability to cast 6th lvl spells.

You can use the persist spell metamagic feat once per day. This feat does not raise the spell slot needed to cast it

Any other ideas on how to persist as many spells and as high lvl spells as possible without too much multiclassing would be appreciated. Note: I AM A FAVORED SOUL, not a cleric, I can't do that divine metamagic deal.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
1/ House Rules is the next forum down.

2/ If there were ever a metamagic effect that didn't have a place in combat, it'd be Persistent.

3/ I would never allow this feat, because it's broken. Sudden Quicken can also only be used once per day, and you already know it's got stricter prereqs.

Cheers, -- N

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Nifft said:
3/ I would never allow this feat, because it's broken. Sudden Quicken can also only be used once per day, and you already know it's got stricter prereqs.
I'd allow it, with the restriction: "The persisted spell must be at least six levels lower than the highest spell level you can cast."

It's still very good, because you can choose on the fly.

Cheers, LT.

Jhaelen

First Post
Nifft said:
1/ House Rules is the next forum down.

2/ If there were ever a metamagic effect that didn't have a place in combat, it'd be Persistent.

This.

eamon

Explorer
I'm skeptical on "Persist Spells" brokenness. I've seen a DMM Persist cleric in play several times, and they were ...decent, but not overpowering. The issues which might break DMM persist - nightsticks, for example, or any other turn-attempt granting item - don't work with sudden metamagic. How is spending two feats for one persist any less balanced than spending three for potentially more?

Considering that this would cost two feats, and allow only one persistent spell, it's probably reasonable. It's not weak though, so make sure to smile nicely to your DM ;-).

There aren't that many personal range or fixed range spells to begin with, and many of them just aren't good enough to be worth spending two feats from your very limited feat pool on. Divine power is good, but mostly for its BAB bonus.

So, it's cheesy, and I might require a little more in the way of prerequisites, but it's not unbalancing, I'm pretty sure. Also, since you can persist at most one spell, the potential for abuse is limited.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
eamon said:
Divine power is good, but mostly for its BAB bonus.
Well, yes. I would have said persistant divine power was by itself rather broken at a cost of two feats and a 4th level slot. Even if you dropped the Str bonus and the temp hp. But I can't say I've played with it... if you have and didn't find it to be so great, that is interesting.

akbearfoot

First Post
Would your DM allow you a feat that says:

'Once per day, you can increase your strength by 6, your size category by one, and you gain +1bab bonus per 4 levels for 24 hours'?

Hrmm....seems kinda rediculous to me.

I wouldnt even allow a regular feat that gave a single +1 to BAB....because free attacks are worth a characters weight in diamond dust.

Flipguarder

First Post
akbearfoot said:
Would your DM allow you a feat that says:

'Once per day, you can increase your strength by 6, your size category by one, and you gain +1bab bonus per 4 levels for 24 hours'?

Hrmm....seems kinda rediculous to me.

I wouldnt even allow a regular feat that gave a single +1 to BAB....because free attacks are worth a characters weight in diamond dust.

I agree but would you say that for a feat and a spell doing the same thing simply requires a 9th level spell. Ease metamagic and persist spell would make divine power a 9th level spell

and heck, sudden quicken allows people to make a heal mass a free action at a 9th level slot, thats what the feats do.

Bottom line, I agree if it was allowed it would have a whole lot more pre-reqs.

also, divine power makes BAB = character level, not +1/four levels

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Flipguarder said:
also, divine power makes BAB = character level, not +1/four levels
If you're a cleric, isn't that the same thing? (And who else could cast the spell?)

Also, why are 9th level spell slots relevant? A 4th level slot is all that is being considered.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads