• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Suggest an RPG (not D&D)

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

My wife and I have played several D&D campaigns together over the 20+ years we've been together - just the two of us with me DMing and running one or two NPCs and her playing two characters.

Our recent campaign has come to an end and we're looking to start something new. Since we're in two 4e games with others, we'd like to play a a game that's not D&D for the game we play on our own. From my point of view, since I'm running two other campaigns (!) something with little prep time would be great.

What do you suggest?

Cheers

Richard

Crothian

First Post
What do you two like?

There are games that while not designed for one character work pretty well that way. Buffy the Vampire slayer for instance has the group like the show but the Slayer does the butt kciking. I've found that works well for solo games. A lone Jedi (if you like Star Wars) could also work this way. Similiarly, the lone super hero character could be fun.

Ariosto

First Post
Could you narrow down the criteria a bit? There are an awful lot of other RPGs, suited to different tastes.

Are you looking for "like D&D, but with different rules"? Interested in other subjects or themes?

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Might I suggest Tunnles and Trolls? Very simple system and it already has a bunch of solo adventures. (Real solos, no GM required.) Just make sure her character is a Warrior Wizard and she'll have plenty of flexibility.

Oni

First Post
I've just finished reading through OVA (Open Versatile Anime) and I must say it looks fun. Rules light and easy to prep. In presentation it's an anime style game, but you could adapt it whatever suited your fancy (leaning more toward the heroic side out of the box). I really like the character creation. Assume an adult human baseline and your stats are basically the exceptions to that baseline. For instance you only note a characters strength if they're stronger or weaker than normal.

RichGreen

Adventurer
Could you narrow down the criteria a bit? There are an awful lot of other RPGs, suited to different tastes.

Are you looking for "like D&D, but with different rules"? Interested in other subjects or themes?

Well, we like fantasy (having played a lot of D&D) but I think it would good to give something different a try or at least play a fantasy game that was very different to D&D. Other RPGs we've enjoyed include Call of Cthulhu and Over the Edge.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Cheers

Richard

Treebore

First Post
Hi,

My wife and I have played several D&D campaigns together over the 20+ years we've been together - just the two of us with me DMing and running one or two NPCs and her playing two characters.

Our recent campaign has come to an end and we're looking to start something new. Since we're in two 4e games with others, we'd like to play a a game that's not D&D for the game we play on our own. From my point of view, since I'm running two other campaigns (!) something with little prep time would be great.

What do you suggest?

Cheers

Richard

Ooooh! A one on one Legends of the 5 Rings Game could be AWESOME!! Especially one based around court intrigue!

Edit: Get one of the old Winter Court books, or all 4 of them, to use as your basis, they work fine, fluff wise, with the new 3E rules. "Winter Court" would probably be the best one to get. Then find the core rule book, Masters of Court, and probably Emerald Empires. Creatures of Rokugan is also good, and many of the "monsters" make for some great adversaries, even in a court intrigue type of game.

Last edited:

Nameless1

First Post
I very much second Mallus' Spirit of the Century recommendation. It is a pulp 20s era game built with the FATE 3.0 engine. Rules light and very fun. Here is a good summary of how you play. Here is the SotC SRD. Here is a wiki that discusses all kinds of ways to adapt FATE to other genres.

Best game ever. Easliy does one on one games, and requires virtually no prep.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads