• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Suggest an RPG (not D&D)

That or True20/Blue Rose seems like a good fit for a one player game.
Blue Rose with a Ted Nugent style pregen PC and an introductory adventure named "Magic Venison…" ;)

I'd be tempted to run Trail of Cthulhu or Fear Itself for a one-on-one game. (Probably because my interest in GUMSHOE is high, at the moment, and I've had good results with one-on-one Cthulhu games in the past.)

The Green Adam

First Post
Faery's Tale Deluxe-Fun, fast, flexible and ridiculously easy to run and play. Other then that I would probably suggest an indie rpg such as my recent favorite InSpectres (very 'Ghostbusters').

AD
Barking Alien

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Legends of the Ancient World is a redux of The Fantasy Trip, formerly authored by Steve Jackson and published by Metagaming in the early 1980s. The core rules are free (as well as very short and simple), while each module is an entirely self-contained game (including rules) that can be played as a solo or with other people.

Module-wise, I would start with Sewers of Redpoint and Fire in the Streets, as both are set in the city of Redpoint. The latter module also contains a brief campaign setting guide detailing Redpoint and the surrounding environs. You can also download mini-modules, The Sorcerer's Manor and Orcs of the High Mountains for free from the publisher's site.

So. . . $25.00 gets you a complete game, four adventures, and a setting. Or, alrernately, if you just want to try the free stuff before you buy anything, you can get a complete game and two adventures. Really, it's a pretty good deal either way.

Last edited:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Dude, REALLY?!?!

Definitely have to give that a serious look-see once I have the time, then. Thanks!

You're welcome! :D They kind of flew under my radar until this last Christmas, when I finally got around to ordering some modules from them. I've been a big fan of The Fantasy Trip since my first brush with the system back in the late 90s (I found all of the basic MicroQuests in a bargain bookstore bin) and was pretty excited to see somebody resurrect it.

True to the old Metgaming products, each module consists of some old-style cardstock counters, an unfoldable hexmap on heavy paper stock, and a booklet shipped in a ziplock bag (no boxes, though). Each is also surprisingly meaty in terms of gameplay content, though many of them definitely have a 'programmed' feel like the old adventures that they emulate.

I absolutely plan to order more, when I'm able.

Stalker0

Legend
I'm a big fan of the Silhouette system myself, which games like Tribe 8 fall under.

And let us not forget the classic Ars Magica, which probably would work well for a solo player.

dm4hire

Explorer
Hollow Earth Expedition might be worth a look if you're interested in pulp or if you want to stick with fantasy you could try Desolation, which uses the same mechanics but with magic added in.

Grimm is a decent little game from Fantasy Flight Games along the lines of Fairy Tales, but where you play children trapped in a dark Fairy Tale world. You can pick up the micro campaign done for d20 or the full color hardback using FFG's d6 system. White Wolf did a similar, although more indepth, game called Innocents set in the World of Darkness.

Twerps is still around if you can find it and good for a short pickup game as well as solo game. I'll second Tunnels & Trolls.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I was playing TFT back in the late 1970s- right after I picked up AD&D, Traveller, SFB, Starfire & Ogre/G.E.V. (in that order). It was one of the games that shaped my early gaming experience.

It and Ogre/G.E.V. got me hooked on Metagames- I have most of them...and most of their little parts (including dice). I know I lost some Helltank units, though.

And Metagames got me into the TSR & Task Force minigames, and even their (comedic) conceptual descendants from Cheapass games.

Korgoth

First Post
Thanks! I have Spirit of the Century and will take a look at Savage Worlds.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers

Richard

Yeah... Pendragon. I don't know if it's still in print, but you can probably get it. You like fantasy, and it's fantasy (Le Morte d'Arthur, essentially). It's suited to small group play... the basic model is the questing knight and many knights quested by themselves. So I think for "1 on 1" play it would be ideal.

There aren't that many games that are built around a solitary premise, but Pendragon seems to be. Plus it's just cool.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads