• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Swashbuckler 7 for Ravenloft

joshjurg

Explorer
My group will soon be exploring Ravenloft, and after recently having a character die, I decided to roll randomly for a 7th lvl char instead of coming back at 6th. I would like some Suggestions if you can offer any on this build - Realizing this is probably not the optimal class to bring to the big castle. I planned on using his ease of charging to initiate most combats. Take note that my planned route is to get two weapon rend and obtain a mantle of the predator (MIC, 8000 Gp) to make 2 set pieces & add 3d6 rend damage to his attacks (knowing that insightful strike probably won't do much soon.) His crystals of life drinking should heal 30 hp/day each - Just as long as he can find living enemies to kill.

One of the options I was debating was taking two levels of ranger - take undead as favored enemy and go twf. This would let me take run as a feat and allow me to wear the predator mask (MIC) that would do little but grant me that +3d6 rend. The drawback to this is losing acrobatic charge (although having fleet of foot may make it unnecessary)

Edit : the books we use are the Complete series, Races Of, PHB2 and Core.

Bastion D'jarr
1/2 Aquatic Elf Swashbuckler (7), Chaotic Good.

Strength 18/+4 16+2 from Belt Of Preistly Might
Dexterity 18/+4
Constitution 14/+2
Intelligence 16/+3
Wisdom 10/-
Charisma 9/-1

HP: 75
BAB: +7/2, Grapple +11
Initiative: +4
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +6, Will +2 (+2 vs ench)
AC: 20 (+1 Chain Shirt, +4 dex, +1 natural (belt)); AC 22 w/ Shield Of Blades (alt class feature PHB2). Touch 14, Flat-Footed 16.

Attacks: Claw at +12 (1d4 +5 +3(precise strike), 20/x3), or Charge at +10/+10 (1d4 +5 +3(precise strike), 1d4 +3 +3(precise strike)) OR Full Attack at +10/+10/+5/+5 (1d4 +5 +3(precise strike), 1d4 +3 +3(precise strike))

Skills (name, ranks, check total): Balance 1 (+6), Bluff 6 (+5), Climb 3(+6), Diplomacy 5(+6), Escape Artist 1(+5), Jump 10 (+15), Sense Motive 1(+1), Swim 6(+18)(check penalty varies), Tumble 10(+17), Listen 10 (+13), Spot 10 (+13), Tumble 8 (+14), Search 4(+8), Spot 2(+2), Gather Information 2(+3) Knowledge Arcana 2(+5)

Feats: Two Weapon Fighting, Improved Two Weapon Fighting, Run (granted by mask), Fleet of Foot. Weapon Finesse (bonus Feat)

Racial Abilities: low light vision, Sleep immunity, Elf Blood, Sea Longing, Swim Speed

Swashbuckler Abilities:
Arcane Stunt (Alt Class Abililty - CompMage) Swift: 4/day Blur as spell 1 round duration.
Insightful Strike : +3 damage from INT to attacks.
Shield of Blades (PHB2 Alt Class Ab.) +2 Shield Bonus when 2 or more attacks are made/round.
Acrobatic Charge Charge through enemies, allies, difficult terrain

Equipment: Belt of Preistly Might (MIC) (+2 str/+1 nat), Claws Of The Tiger (MIC) +1 punch dagger pair - main & offhand attack on charge or spring attack. Panther Mask (MIC) +5' speed, Run feat (to qualify for fleet of foot). Chain Shirt +1. Pair of augment crystals MIC (life drinking, lesser 3/30), Alchemical Silver Light Mace, Cold Iron Rapier, Javelin (5) Standard Adventure Gear. Traveling money

Last edited:

Darklone

I'd thorougly take a look at either the Daring Warrior (multiclass with fighter) or the Daring Outlaw (multiclass with rogue) feats in Comp Scoundrel.

Both mean you don't miss much but gain a lot... in the case of a TWF swashbuckler (nice build, insightful strike makes this very interesting especially if you have good strength as well like in your case) you'd rather pick Fighter, e.g. Daring Warrior.

Would be enough for Ftr4/Swashy3, Daring Warrior... and you might take Melee Weapon Mastery next level!

Daring Outlaw would give you level 7 sneak attack (+4d6) for Rog3/Swash4... or better Rogue4/Swash3. Which means: good skills, maxxed trapfinding, good hitpoints, good AC (Swashys Dodge bonus), extreme Refl save. Two Weapon Pounce and later Two Weapon Rend would turn both builds into something pretty nice.

You might do a mix if you expect to gain some levels soon... Swash3/Rog4/Ftr4 with both feats. Melee Weapon Mastery, Insightful Strike, WS and sneak attack will keep your damage high enough to make TWF worth it and your mobility will allow you to stay out of melee range till you're ready for the final TWF pounce attack.

A totally different route: Multiclass with scout AND ranger (Swift Hunter for undead and constructs) and go dervish asap.

Remove ads