sword and sorcery genre rpg

Derro

First Post
I've played LOTS and LOTS of In A Wicked Age and I can recommend it very, very highly for getting the Sword and Sorcery feel. IAWA is my favorite game written by someone who isn't me.

I'm very excited to play it. My only concern is that it is so far removed from the games my boys are used to playing. It shouldn't be that hard a sell cuz S&S is a staple of our games but the system is pretty non-traditional.

How did you sell it to your group? Or was it perhaps sold to you?

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
Derro -

Bill King's S&S toolkit's awesome! His changes really seem to bring the feel of the old stories I used to read right into the game. I love the warrior, thief, barbarian, sorcerer set up, for example. Do you know if he's done any work or plans to do any work to update it for 4E?

Derro

First Post
That's a fairly old article. It may even be from 3.0 era. I have my doubts that Mr. King will be updating it for 4e. You can probably adapt elements of the article to 4e but some things just won't work. Constitution as HP, alignments, er... monster summoning.

4e to S&S can be achieved in a lot of ways. Strip away all of the non-martial classes except maybe Warlock. Ditch all the races but human unless you have a particular skew. I can't get too deeply into this mainly because I haven't given it much thought.

Here's a thread that talks about how to make 4e's damage grittier.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Grimstaff

Explorer
D&D 4E with martial classes only, no magic items (just give bonuses) and maybe, just maybe allow multiclassing into warlock or use something a la spellscarred.

Better than Iron Heroes, IMO.

This.

I also require Human race only, and the Divine and Arcane classes are available stricly via multiclass.

Plus a lot of systems have a dearth of human "monsters", while with 4E its simple to write up a whole bunch of them with widely varying abilities in a very short period of time.

Hero was mentioned upthread, so I feel the need to comment. :)

The Valdorian age is a Fantasy Hero source book/world that is specifically meant as a Swords and Sorcery setting (as opposed to the Turakian Age, a High fantasy sourcebook). If you play Hero (or want to) and want S&S - Valdorian age is a great resource.

Ry

Explorer
How did you sell it to your group? Or was it perhaps sold to you?
I built the group around the game; I went to some local meetups and demoed it, made some connections, and then built the group from there.

(sorry for the slow response, I only check EN World sporadically).

Remove ads