• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[SWSE] Are Jedi just plain better than everyone else?

Klaus nailed a lot of the detail in his post, but I wanted to add a couple things.

As I've always been a fan of the EU, I do my best to mix what the true canon of the movies is with the EU...which is harder for some of the stuff from before the Prequels. But as for Stormtroopers, we have several instances in the EU of non-cloned Stormtroopers, and not just starting with the Legacy Era stuff.

Carida is shown in the Jedi Academy books and we see multiple Stormtrooper recruits. So, at some point, they start cropping up. Definitely post-Clone Wars, but it seems like a mix of the not-being-trained-by-Jango and an influx of simply 'normal' recruits would account for the changes over time in the Stormtroopers' effectiveness.

Its not PERFECT, but its about the best that can be done without just completely ignoring swaths of the EU. That's okay with some, but I don't like doing that if I can avoid it.

ruleslawyer

Donovan Morningfire said:
There's a lot to be said for dumb luck ;)

And Lando wasn't involved in that part of the fight at all.
Well, Lando was sort of "involved" as a liability...

As for the clone troopers being able to take down a bunch of Jedi Masters under Order 66: If I *had* to accept that the prequels exist (they don't for me here in the padded cell in which watching them placed me ;) ), I'd say that "Order 66" was the trigger phrase for a deeply-implanted telepathic suggestion to turn on the Jedi. Explains why the Jedi didn't sense it as a disturbance, and why the clones acted so efficiently to support the Jedi right until they turned on them.

Keoki

First Post
ruleslawyer said:
I'd say that "Order 66" was the trigger phrase for a deeply-implanted telepathic suggestion to turn on the Jedi. Explains why the Jedi didn't sense it as a disturbance, and why the clones acted so efficiently to support the Jedi right until they turned on them.

Actually, according to the novel Dark Lord, the clone troopers had no preprogrammed order to kill the Jedi. But they were "hardwired" to obey Palpatine, who had established Order 66 as a so-called emergency plan should the Jedi attempt a takeover. Some troopers, not believing the order to be in Palpatine's best interests, refused to comply.

Last edited:

Its just a Star Wars wiki with no actual connection to Lucasfilm. It has no new informatoin, but collects EVERYTHING(or at least, most, there are some holes here and there) from the movies, EU, games, etc. Basically, anything Star Wars has info there.

Its the best Star Wars reference on the web, and while it might not be completely official...it just collects the information that's published in other places. With the 'canon levels' that Lucasfilm has(...its complicated...), most all of the stuff, on one level or another, IS actual canon.

Keoki

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
With the 'canon levels' that Lucasfilm has(...its complicated...), most all of the stuff, on one level or another, IS actual canon.

Since anyone can edit it, there's no way of knowing that. By its very nature, it's just as reliable as Wikipedia, which is to say not reliable at all.

Keoki said:
Since anyone can edit it, there's no way of knowing that. By its very nature, it's just as reliable as Wikipedia, which is to say not reliable at all.
In my experience, the Wookiepedia is extremely well policed and the information there is very, very accurate.

Basically, its just a collection of things ALREADY out there. Its nothing new.

Klaus

First Post
Keoki said:
The level of zealotry possessed by those who police Wookieepedia is a tad higher than those that police Wikipedia.

Asmor

First Post
Keoki said:

With all due respect, and I don't mean to threadjack here, it's a personal peeve of mine when people speak so disparagingly of Wikipedia.

The fact of the matter is, it is a great resource. It may not be authoritative, but it's right a lot. And the fact is that experts who were asked to review Wikipedia articles on their area of expertise rated articles as being more accurate than non-experts rating the same article, suggesting that not only is there an unfair bias against the site, but it's largely unjustified.

The best advice I've seen about Wikipedia is this: use it, but count it as hearsay. Give it as much authority as you would something you heard from your uncle. Use it as a jumping off point, and to get direction. To ignore it or just discount it as inherently flawed is, well, inherently flawed. At the very least, you'd be as much a fool for blindly trusting the Encyclopedia Britannica as you would Wikipedia.

Now, I can't personally speak for wookiepedia, but I'd wager dollars to cents that it's every bit as great a resource as Wikipedia, which is to say, very much.

Remove ads