Systems You'd Never Play after Reading Them

Celebrim

Legend
I mean, if your honest opinion would run afoul of the board's stated rules on inclusion, for example, then by all means keep that to yourself.

It's not the board rules on what is a defensible political position that would get me in trouble. Heck, I'm playing in a Paizo adventure path right now, so if blatant attempts to be inclusive were a turnoff for me, I'd be a total hypocrite. I will risk that in the last session we all had a good laugh at how despite these often ham-fisted attempts, one of the encounters was probably the most sexist thing we'd ever encountered in gaming go that we all gotten briefly taken out of character and out of the game just to boggle at it, but that's a whole different story.

No, what would get me in trouble is disparaging the talent of a game designer. One of the half-dozen or so times I got a temporary ban here was suggesting that the design a of supplement was so amateur, that the designer probably shouldn't plan a full time career in the industry - without realizing that the designer was in the thread.

That would be gentle compared to some things I could say. You handwaved certain things away from discussion as "obvious" at the beginning of the thread, and I certainly agree with the sort of examples you are thinking of. But for me, they aren't the only ones that fall in the "obvious" end.

I will add that a statement such as, for example, "the explicit sexual themes in systems like V:tM, Monsterhearts or Apocalypse World is a huge turnoff for me" is a very different statement than one laced with judgment at the people who make/play said games.

While some of the presentation of violence or sex or violent sexuality and sexualized violence in those games do turn me off, none of those games rise to the example of things where I think the presentation is such that I'd condemn the entire game as immoral beyond redemption. In fact, the real morality problem I have with V:tM is the rules system in practice allows violence without real consequence (compare how humanity in theory is lost in the game to the acquisition of 'Dark Side' points in D6 Star Wars) combined with the fact that the games reward system works contrary to its stated purpose of play.

There are said games however where for me it does go beyond the pale into "obvious".

Clearly I disagree. We've gotten significantly better at matching mechanics to their intention, which is to say, we're actually doing that at some level.

I think I half-agree with you. We have gotten better, but unlike you don't believe we've gotten so much better that we are actually consistently doing it. And in the case of something like D&D, I'd argue that we've got there by the same sort of evolutionary processes (trial and error) that so well informed the early design of the game. We are getting better incrementally, but in a system that already had strong core ideas.

That said, I'd still hold something like Zeitgeist up against any of the old classics (quite a few of which haven't aged nearly as well as some folks would like to believe they have)

I have heard good things about 'Zeitgeist' and 'War of the Burning Sky'. I keep meaning to pick up a pdf to read them.

Last edited:

I'm not sure there is any system I absolutely would never play. But may of them are just not as good for what I like as other systems -- it's rare a system is offensive or bad enough to make it unplayable. It's just I prefer other systems.

I have nothing against two pieces of bread with a piece of american cheese between them. I'm not saying I'd never eat it, or that I wouldn't enjoy it sometimes. It's just that there are a lot of better sandwiches I can make. I still play PF occasionally, despite the fact there are probably a dozen other fantasy systems I'd prefer to play, but I can still have fun with it.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
No, what would get me in trouble is disparaging the talent of a game designer. One of the half-dozen or so times I got a temporary ban here was suggesting that the design a of supplement was so amateur, that the designer probably shouldn't plan a full time career in the industry - without realizing that the designer was in the thread.

Well, yeah, you veer into making evaluations of the person involved, you go past critiquing the game and into the personal sphere that's against the rules around here. Keep it away from that and things should be fine.

What game(s) are playable, in your opinion? Because I am interested in games that aren't too complex or that involve narrative control. Retro Clones?
Retro clones are generally inoffensive. Pathfinder is surprisingly playable, as long as you keep it to the first book. The AGE system isn't too bad on either count. White Wolf can get pretty narrative-y in places, but I think you can play Street Fighter without too many problems.

I'm sure that there are plenty more, but they're increasingly difficult to find amongst all of the others.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Games I've read and-or own but would decline to play based solely on that reading: 4e D&D. Pathfinder. Various d20 knockoffs. Late-era 2e D&D with all the splat.

3e and 3.5e D&D are games I've played so thus don't qualify for this list, though I'm not sure I'd ever want to play either again.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
HoL is surprisingly playable. Satire it might be, but the system itself is pretty flexible and robust. I use(d) the mechanics to do a bunch of other stuff.

Things I read and immediately decided not to play. Rolemaster, Wraith, GURPS (dunno why, just felt icky about it), Ars Magica (as much as I actually love it conceptually), Talislanta, 4E D&D, Conan ... it's a long list.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
HoL is surprisingly playable. Satire it might be, but the system itself is pretty flexible and robust. I use(d) the mechanics to do a bunch of other stuff.

How does it fare on a scale between Hackmaster 4e and Hackmaster 5e?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases