D&D 5E Tabaxi Name Formula

Herosmith14

First Post
So, I'm a fan of races with interesting naming schemes. I really like the Firbolg, Kenku, and Lizardfolk naming schemes, in which the name implies a concept and/or a piece of their backstory. I just looked at the Tabaxi names, and found them interesting. I noted that the text says, "Each tabaxi has a single name, determined by clan and based on a complex formula that involves astrology, prophecy, clan history, and other esoteric factors."

My question is, what exactly is this this formula. Obviously there hasn't been an official release, and probably never will be, but it might be a fun brain exercise that could result in a random name generator for the tabaxi!

Any idea where so start. Obviously, with the inclusion of things like clan history and prophecy it will depend somewhat on setting, time period, and adventure, but it might still be doable.

G

Guest 6801328

What would be fun would be an online name generator based on a series of questions: describe a situation, and then ask what your character would do, A, B, C, or D? Answer 10 or so questions and have your name generated.

Assuming you're talking about the sample tabaxi names in Volo's guide - I, in fact, recognized several of them.. They're the English translations of Aztec deity names - "Smoking Mirror" is Tezcatlipoca, and "Skirt of Snakes" is Coatlicue. So I'd recommend looking Mesoamerican-ward for inspirations.

I know that the Aztec calendar referred to dates by comparing the two rotating calendar systems, so a particular person's "day sign" might be something like "Two Rabbit" or "Seven Knife". And I'm pretty sure (not an expert) that some people used their day sign as a name on some occasions. I think that's what the "complex formula" Volo mentions is referencing.

If you just want to steal an Aztec god name for yourself, my favorite was always "Obsidian Butterfly" - an Aztec goddess that's so obviously a vampire that Laurell K. Hamilton got an entire book out of that premise.

Herosmith14

First Post
Assuming you're talking about the sample tabaxi names in Volo's guide - I, in fact, recognized several of them.. They're the English translations of Aztec deity names - "Smoking Mirror" is Tezcatlipoca, and "Skirt of Snakes" is Coatlicue. So I'd recommend looking Mesoamerican-ward for inspirations.

I know that the Aztec calendar referred to dates by comparing the two rotating calendar systems, so a particular person's "day sign" might be something like "Two Rabbit" or "Seven Knife". And I'm pretty sure (not an expert) that some people used their day sign as a name on some occasions. I think that's what the "complex formula" Volo mentions is referencing.

If you just want to steal an Aztec god name for yourself, my favorite was always "Obsidian Butterfly" - an Aztec goddess that's so obviously a vampire that Laurell K. Hamilton got an entire book out of that premise.

Oh, okay that should be easy enough to figure out if I can find the two calendars. Depending on my findings, that might still leave how they got the result of things like Cloud on the Mountaintop.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

jgsugden

Legend
In character, each tabaxi has a single name, determined by clan and based on a complex formula that involves astrology, prophecy, clan history, and other esoteric factors.

In truth, each tabaxi has a name that came from some player's housecat.

As for a formula - we don't have the required inputs to make a real formula. We have neither the history not the prophecy elements, much less other esoteric elements. If you like the ideas, you're better off making it up as you go and not feel constrained by rules.

Remove ads