Tac Lord, Inspiring Word, and Battle Inspiration...

Trainz

Explorer
All right, here goes:

I play a 16th level taclord. With my PP, now that I'm 16 when I do inspiring word on an ally (and I can use Inspiring Word 4 times per encounter), he can spend a healing surge, make a save at +2, have a +7 movement until the end of my next turn, and have a +7 on all his attacks until the end of my next turn.

NOW... does he HAVE to spend a healing surge to get all those side benefits? Can I do inspiring word even if he's at full hit points and still give him all those side benefits?

mneme

Explorer
It would really help if you gave us class feature, etc, so we could look up wording. Hard to give an answer without being able to see the wording, you know.

Anyways, you're a Battle Captain:

Battle Inspiration (16th level) said:
When you use your inspiring word power, allies you heal gain a +1 power bonus to attack rolls and a +1 power bonus to speed until the end of your next turn. If you selected the Tactical Presence class feature, the ally gains bonuses equal to your Intelligence modifier instead.

The key phrase is "allies you heal" So if you don't heal them (ie, they choose not to spend a surge) they don't get the benefit.

Last edited:

Trainz

Explorer
This is RAW, but is it RAI?

For example the Heroic Level Saving Inspiration feat which can be found on page 139 of the Martial Power book and stipulates "When you use inspiring word, you can forgo any extra dice of healing granted by the power to instead grant the target a saving throw" doesn't say "allies you heal", and doesn't say either "the target doesn't get the saving throw if he didn't spend a healing surge".

I'd like to know if a sage advice or WotC ruling has been made on the subject.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I see your quandry.

This seems like RAI to me, although that's a personal opinion. The PC gives up some of his internal stamina in order to be completely heroic for a round. I'd make him give up the surge.

Trainz

Explorer
I see your quandry.

This seems like RAI to me, although that's a personal opinion. The PC gives up some of his internal stamina in order to be completely heroic for a round. I'd make him give up the surge.

Even if he was at full hp's? That sounds reasonable. I wonder what WotC's take is on this though.

FYI, I edited my post while you posted.

Obryn

Hero
I'd make him spend a surge, but allow it even if you technically don't heal any damage.

I would not allow you to use the power without him spending a healing surge, full HPs or no.

-O

Trainz

Explorer
I'd make him spend a surge, but allow it even if you technically don't heal any damage.

I would not allow you to use the power without him spending a healing surge, full HPs or no.

-O

I wouldn't. I know I'm extremely and shamelessly subjective in saying this, but I wouldn't.

The way 4th ed is set-up, you can barely do a few fights before having to spend an extended rest in order to regain your curing abilities (3rd ed had a nice work around for this in the way of wands of cure light wounds). This new taclord feature allowed us to:

1- finish fights faster
2- waste less healing surges per fight

... thus getting back a bit of that dungeon delving momentum previous editions had.

NOW... these are all our personal opinions, but I'd really want to know what the official ruling is, because I know for a fact my DM will nerf it if the official ruling says so...

:(

boar

First Post
This is RAW, but is it RAI?

For example the Heroic Level Saving Inspiration feat which can be found on page 139 of the Martial Power book and stipulates "When you use inspiring word, you can forgo any extra dice of healing granted by the power to instead grant the target a saving throw" doesn't say "allies you heal", and doesn't say either "the target doesn't get the saving throw if he didn't spend a healing surge".

I can see your concern, but that feat doesn't actually pose a quandary. The feat specifically states that in order to grant a saving throw, you need to forgo the extra healing dice. You only get the extra healing dice if the target spends a surge. And in order to forgo something, you need to have it. Hence, no surge, no extra dice, no saving throw.

I concede that, RAI, if you're willing to give up an encounter heal (a fairly precious thing!) in order to hand out some bonuses, then that seems pretty reasonable. But as written, the path feature and the feat are 100% consistent: no surge, no bonus.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
In this case, I'd say no bonuses without using a surge.

Contrast with the bard's majestic word: Effect: The target can spend a healing surge and regain additional hit points equal to your Charisma modifier. You also slide the target 1 square.

The slide effect appears to be uncoupled from using a surge, so the target can choose to forgo the healing and just accept the slide.

Remove ads