Tales of the Valiant Joins The $1M Crowdfunding Club!

I've been waiting to post this article for nearly a month--but Kobold Press has snuck over the million-dollar line in the final days of its Kickstarter for the 5E-alternative ruleset Tales of the Valiant! And with that, it has joined the Million Dollar TTRPG Kickstarter Club! https://www.enworld.org/threads/million-dollar-ttrpg-kickstarter-club.678540/ Tales of the Valiant was announced...

valiantkoboldmain-600-338-1930146151.jpeg

I've been waiting to post this article for nearly a month--but Kobold Press has snuck over the million-dollar line in the final days of its Kickstarter for the 5E-alternative ruleset Tales of the Valiant! And with that, it has joined the Million Dollar TTRPG Kickstarter Club!

Tales of the Valiant was announced earlier this year during the Open Gaming License controversy as an open alternative to 5E independent of Wizards of the Coast. In that goal, it joins the existing Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition and Cubicle 7's upcoming C7d20 System. Originally referred to as 'Black Flag', the project's current name was unveiled in April.

Million-dollar TTRPG Kickstarters have slowed down in recent months. At one point last year, they were arriving almost monthly, but there has only been one in 2023 (Shadowdark RPG) until now, with both Tales of the Valiant and Gloomhaven crossing the line in the same month.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I’m surprised or rather confused that Dungeon dudes Drakkenheim adventure cleared 1.2M and 13.3K in backers compared to a more well known rpg company getting 1M with 48 hours to go and 8.6k backers. Just seems odd to me is all.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Not sure if that’s really a thing….wasn’t before the January leak on the OGL and not one now with Creative Commons and this 5e based game doesn’t use the OGL we’ve been used to since 5e.

I believe I was actually the pledge that pushed them over the $1m mark, so I’m claiming all the credit! ;)

I’m surprised or rather confused that Dungeon dudes Drakkenheim adventure cleared 1.2M and 13.3K in backers compared to a more well known rpg company getting 1M with 48 hours to go and 8.6k backers. Just seems odd to me is all.
Dungeon Dudes have close to half a million YouTube subscribers. KP might be better-known on here, but I’m not sure that’s necessarily true in the wider community.

Dungeon Dudes have close to half a million YouTube subscribers. KP might be better-known on here, but I’m not sure that’s necessarily true in the wider community.
It still seems weird. KP is a well respected rpg company that has been around for decades and has an established track record through multiple editions of D&D. You can buy their products in stores and they have had multiple $100,000+ kickstarters (Tome if Foes 3 was over $700,000 alone).

I think this shows just how influential social media, and in particular YouTube, is in the RPG market. If I was a midsized publisher I think I would look into an official YouTube channel or something.

Remove ads

Remove ads