D&D 5E Tasha's Cauldron of Everything = 2e Skills & Powers

maransreth

Explorer
Great to see WotC bring out something not an adventure. While I don't have the book yet, the previews and reviews others have done make me believe that TCoE is 5e's version of 2e's Skills and Powers system.
Anyone else had that thought?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Can‘t say that Skills and Powers came to mind. I think there are elements of giving the player more power to minmax unencumbered by tradeoffs, but they pale in comparison to PO:S&P. That was truly a “goes to 11“ entry of Spinal Tapean proportion.

BacchusNL

Explorer
Can‘t say that Skills and Powers came to mind. I think there are elements of giving the player more power to minmax unencumbered by tradeoffs, but they pale in comparison to PO:S&P. That was truly a “goes to 11“ entry of Spinal Tapean proportion.
For sure, powercreep-wise this book did very little. There arn't any subclasses that are pushed like Hexblade was, for example, and they made some very clear decisions on not breaking the concentration-rule (with Hunter's Mark) or giving easy AoE to Melee (no Spirit Guardians on paladins). The racial bonus changes will definatly push more and new character builds to the top, but it's nothing more powerful then what already existed.

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
I place it closer to 1e Unearthed Arcana than 2e Skills and Powers. S&P more or less rewrote huge chunks of the rules, and was impossible to have a Core Rules and S&P PC at the same table. UA however was a massive expansion of rules codified into "official" status that didn't invalidate the PHB as much as attempted to fix it via retroactive "new" options. You could still play a PHB only character, he just might have missed out on the new toys.

Pawndream

Explorer
I have Tasha's Cauldron of Everything and don't get the sense of it being like Skills and Powers at all.

It's basically a junk drawer of odds and ends, mostly character building stuff (new subclasses, feats, spells, etc.), with a little bit of DM facing stuff tacked on at the end (parlay rules, environment rules, a collection of puzzles, etc.). A lot of the material appears elsewhere (subclasses: UA, Sidekicks: Essentials Kit, Artificer: Eberron), so it's not like anything is really that new or ground breaking...it's just printed in a hardcover with art, layout, etc.

ccs

41st lv DM
Great to see WotC bring out something not an adventure. While I don't have the book yet, the previews and reviews others have done make me believe that TCoE is 5e's version of 2e's Skills and Powers system.
Anyone else had that thought?
Lord I hope it's not like Skills & Powers....

Shiroiken

Legend
Haven't had a chance to see it, but I don't think it's quite to S&P yet. The only thing I have reservations on is the number of new class features that have no tradeoff. Some have built in tradeoffs, like the loss of movement and bonus action for the Rogue's Aim feature. However, my worry is the ones that just add power to class, especially the stronger classes.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases