D&D 5E (Tasha's) Decoupling racial abilities--cautionary tale

Sacrosanct

Legend
There is speculation if the decoupling section of TCoE might go to something like a point system, where you racial abilities are decoupled, and you can mix or match which features you want. Maybe something like if you want darkvision it's 2 points, or resistance to charm for 1 point, etc.

On the surface that seems like a really great way to customize your PC, but there's a cautionary tale here.

AD&D 2e Player's Options. When that came out, it basically did that for races and classes. And was received poorly by the community as a whole, largely because it created min/max nightmares.

I'm not saying TCoE will do that, but I hope they saw what happened with PO and paid attention to lessons learned.

They've distanced themselves from the PO style by repeatedly saying the new system will be "straightforward" and "simple". Which nothing involving points-valuing races and their abilities could ever be suggested to be.

So I think you can forget "points" or any kind, or anything related to them right now. Anyone speculating on a points system is really not processing what "straightforward" means when you're discussing a book aimed at millions or tens of millions of people, most of them not serious nerds/optimizers.

More likely it'll be something more direct - like each race will have certain stuff that's fixed, and certain stuff that can be swapped out for other stuff on a limited list.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
There is speculation if the decoupling section of TCoE might go to something like a point system, where you racial abilities are decoupled, and you can mix or match which features you want. Maybe something like if you want darkvision it's 2 points, or resistance to charm for 1 point, etc.

On the surface that seems like a really great way to customize your PC, but there's a cautionary tale here.

AD&D 2e Player's Options. When that came out, it basically did that for races and classes. And was received poorly by the community as a whole, largely because it created min/max nightmares.

I'm not saying TCoE will do that, but I hope they saw what happened with PO and paid attention to lessons learned.
True, but then again, game balance was not as strived for back then as it has been in the last decade or so. So I'd like to think the designers will be a bit more rigorous in making sure things don't get out of hand.

Li Shenron

Legend
There is no doubt how min-maxers are going to exploit a point-based system, but they are already the same players who pick a race only for the ability score bonus.

IMHO it is enough that the ability score bonus is capped at +2 (so no spending twice the points to get a +4 anywhere), then point-based or fixed benefits per race is not going to make a major difference.

I am not sure it will be a point-based system anyway, it might be a pool-based system instead i.e. "pick one of these options, then pick one of these other options".

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I am expecting something along the lines of here is a list of traits pick so many for each race, or choices from balanced lists. Like High Elf chose one of Elven Weapon prof or Elven magic (2 extra cantrips) or something like that.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I'm still not convinced that this is a change for the better. I've said it before, but having a dwarf having different mechanical bonuses than a human is anti-racist. Humans in D&D are all the same - in other words, discrimination between humans based on "race" is bogus (not to mention deeply wrong).

If there were real races on earth (as opposed to our socially constructed ones) - they would be actually different - like elves and goblin and dwarves are.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Prediction time!

1) Races will not have any innate bonuses, all races will have +1 to 2 stats of their choice.

2) Each Race will have its features divided into some kind of fixed/major/minor category. Fixed is stuff that's essential to the race, like a Loxodon trunk, or Lizardman scales, or Changeling Shapeshift, or Warforged Constructed Resilience.

3) Major and Minor features will be swappable between races. Extra +1s to various stats will be major or minor features.

4) This section of the book will be pretty big, like 20-25 pages.

Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
Prediction time!

1) Races will not have any innate bonuses, all races will have +1 to 2 stats of their choice.

2) Each Race will have its features divided into some kind of fixed/major/minor category. Fixed is stuff that's essential to the race, like a Loxodon trunk, or Lizardman scales, or Changeling Shapeshift, or Warforged Constructed Resilience.

3) Major and Minor features will be swappable between races. Extra +1s to various stats will be major or minor features.
4) This section of the book will be pretty big, like 20-25 pages.

That's pretty much how I see it as well. Also, I wonder if they are eliminating the racial requirements for certain feats.

Imagine a world, if you will, where any race you choose could have savage attacks, elven accuracy feat, and reckless attacks ;)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
What they’ve described so far is a system for customizing racial benefits, and a “fill-in-the-blanks” system for creating a unique origin from scratch. Neither of those sound like a point system to me, which would frankly feel out of place in 5e anyway. Rather, I expect there will be a list of traits you can swap out your racial traits for. A bit like the variant Tieflings and variant half-elves from SCAG. I expect the “fill in the blanks” system will be a simple step-by-step process, with a number of options to choose from at each step, e.g. pick your vision: 60 ft. Darkvision, 120 ft. Darkvision and sunlight sensitivity, or no Darkvision one of the following features (list like 3-5 ribbons).

Dausuul

Legend
They've distanced themselves from the PO style by repeatedly saying the new system will be "straightforward" and "simple". Which nothing involving points-valuing races and their abilities could ever be suggested to be.
Agreed. I expect it'll be something like, "Here are a bunch of Lineage traits. Pick three. Add +2 to one stat and +1 to another stat. All done. Pick a class, grab your ten-foot pole, and head for the dungeon."

There will still be plenty of room for munchkinry--munchkinry is the Jell-O of role-playing games, there's always room--but I can't imagine them trying to do a full-fledged point system here.

Remove ads