• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Tasha's Drow Art and the Future of Their Depictions in D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Understanding the mythic origins of some of D&D creatures is a good thing, many of us got into the hobby after discovering a fascination with myth and folklore. But "no connection" to modern day cultural concerns? BS.

D&D has racism problems. Full stop. The broader fantasy genre has racism problems. D&D pulled from the fantasy literature of the time, and from (mostly) European myth and folklore, which has racism problems . . . D&D's problem with racism goes all the way back to it's source material. That's not to say that D&D's illustrious creators and early designers were racist themselves, just not fully aware of the racist tropes already existing in literature, myth, and folklore. Society has had a lot of conversations around these issues in recent decades, and we've been able to share these discussions like never before due to social media. We've been talking about these issues on the ENWorld board intensely over the past year or so . . . . although none of these concerns are truly new to the game, hobby, or genre.

While we're mostly talking about the drow in this thread, this discussion applies to almost every "bad guy" race in D&D's history, even the "good guy" races. The drow are a classic creation from the game's early days and have been fan-favorite antagonists for decades for good reason. The fact that they are inspired by Norse mythology adds to their "heft" as D&D antagonists. But that doesn't erase the extremely problematic issues with evil-being-black that the drow have, ESPECIALLY because it comes from earlier folkloric sources.

So, do we need to assign blame and point fingers at the early designers and creators of D&D? No, of course not. Do we "erase" this classic group from D&D's the current game? We could, but I think that would be a mistake.

So, what do we do? We can take a look at other genre properties with similar issues and see how they handled it . . . . I like looking at the Klingons from Star Trek. A sci-fi race with similar problems to the drow . . . evil, swarthy villains to the (mostly) white Federation heroes. Their portrayal has changed and grown significantly since Kirk's days, both visually and their culture and nuance has broadened significantly. Klingons in current Trek lore have a diverse culture (although, arguably, not yet diverse enough), and a diverse ethnic look to the various Klingons portrayed onscreen. This hasn't been without controversy over the years, of course.

Can we start portraying drow in D&D as a race/species with broader, more nuanced, and more diverse culture? Beyond just worshipping other evil deities? Beyond just having the occasional "rebel" against Lolth? Can we depict them visually with more diverse skin tones and other physical features, diversifying the ethnicity of the race? Love it or hate it, that's what WotC is slowly and haphazardly doing. Not erasing the classic drow portrayal, but broadening it so that we don't have the evil-black-race anymore.

Even within classic Lolth-worshipping, matriarchal drow culture . . . can the Lolth-worshippers simply be the dominant faction within the drow city (Menzoberranzan, Erehli-Cinlu)? Can the "common drow" be more of a neutral outlook, just trying to survive in a harsh culture? Can there be dark-skinned drow, who aren't rebels against their entire species, but opposed to the Church of Lolth and her evil priestesses?

We can have our cake and eat it too. We can keep the classic villainous drow, dark-skin and all, but we can have all of the above too. D&D needs evil antagonists . . . but we don't need reductive stereotypes that cast an entire race or species as evil.
I stand by historical and factual evidence to the contrary, and in this instance alone, that the mythography, literature and cultural/religious practices revolving around this particular subject are not linked in any way to racial bias at the source nor by way of their borrowing by Gygax. To infer that they are is to ignore the facts as they exist and to promote an external set of views that are not consistent with the facts.

Hussar

Legend
Umm, all the racial issues of Drow aside, how about the incredibly sexist issues? I mean, I never really saw the whole "drow are black" as a big issue, mostly because drow are literally black, not just dark skinned. OTOH, the blatant misogyny that permeates the depiction of drow is, to me, a far bigger issue.

Hrm, the only matriarchy in D&D is evil, man hating, dominatrix women in BDSM costumes who enslave men whom they think are inferior.

Good grief.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
If you do, the game is unplayable using the so called term "races." Sure, you can go kill a giant spider or dire bear, but then, what about the ecosystem you are damaging? ;)
Actually, there's a high prevalence of domestic abuse in dire bear society - not sure if the misogyny is cultural or racial - so you can generally feel okay about killing them when you spot them. It results in less of this happening:

Necrozius

Explorer
Fascinating that science fiction gaming hasn’t yet been reviewed to such an extent in a similar light. Perhaps because some speculative fiction explored current socio-political issues in allegorical form? Others however are often deemed practically propaganda.

Just wondering why this current trend of scrutiny of the fantasy genre for racism isn’t also happening as fervently for sci fi. Arguably it has happened for Lovecraft, but surely it will expand to Heinlein and others eventually.

Zardnaar

Legend
Fascinating that science fiction gaming hasn’t yet been reviewed to such an extent in a similar light. Perhaps because some speculative fiction explored current socio-political issues in allegorical form? Others however are often deemed practically propaganda.

Just wondering why this current trend of scrutiny of the fantasy genre for racism isn’t also happening as fervently for sci fi. Arguably it has happened for Lovecraft, but surely it will expand to Heinlein and others eventually.

There's no sci fi equivalent of D&D.

Sci fi usually has more morality in it to begin with as well eg very few things are"evil".

Sci fi often deal with things like genocide, racism, slavery etc in universe. Good sci fi usually more nuanced anyway.

There's also no major sci fi shows on atm with lots of cultural impact/buzz.

There's no sci fi equivalent of D&D.

Sci fi usually has more morality in it to begin with as well eg very few things are"evil".

Sci fi often deal with things like genocide, racism, slavery etc in universe. Good sci fi usually more nuanced anyway.

There's also no major sci fi shows on atm with lots of cultural impact/buzz.
Indeed. The two biggest scifi franchises, Star Trek and Star Wars deal with this much better. ST of course has always endeavoured to be 'woke' (with varying success) and even SW with its black and white dark and light sides manages to avoid the racist implications of D&D. Hell, even Warhammer 40K does better, as in it everyone is evil.

J-H

Hero
Umm, all the racial issues of Drow aside, how about the incredibly sexist issues? I mean, I never really saw the whole "drow are black" as a big issue, mostly because drow are literally black, not just dark skinned. OTOH, the blatant misogyny that permeates the depiction of drow is, to me, a far bigger issue.

Hrm, the only matriarchy in D&D is evil, man hating, dominatrix women in BDSM costumes who enslave men whom they think are inferior.

Good grief.
Rasheman is also matriarchal. I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be "good guys."

Oofta

Legend
The difference is that, by and large, SF doesn't deal with species that were created and not evolved. When they are created they're androids, and yes those often fit the D&D definition of evil. I addition, to say that sci-fi doesn't have "evil" aliens seems to ignore reality.

Are there some TV shows that deal with it? Sure. Star Trek aliens have never been much more than humans with rubber prosthetics glued on. Sometimes it does a good job, sometimes it doesn't.

Then again I also think the statement that "D&D is inherently racist" is opinion and IMHO a bit of hyperbole. Is there problematic wording here and there? No doubt. Drow having skin darker than pitch was no more racist than calling massive stars that collapsed and now absorb everything including light black holes. Black is the color of night, of danger. I doubt many ancient Norse had ever seen anyone with dark skin tone.

It's one thing to discuss these issues, but it's not much of a discussion when one side is always saying "it's indisputable fact that I'm right and you're wrong." 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads