Tears in Hell (UPDATED OCTOBER 11th)

Who is your favorite Tears in Hell PC?

Devin Cole

First Post
Tears in Hell....and at the bank

As a long time lover of the d&d game i was a little worried about playing in modern but with the great work of the game master and some wonderful friends and players this game has been nothing but fun. Im very impressed and i do pray that we all have many more chances to see me not be able to afford anything and get shot in the head...

Thank you PK...............but i have a question.....with my wealth of three can I afford a bottle of liquid band-aid. I think im gonna need it and these bandages are really cramping my style.

Rebecca M

First Post
Awwww, poor Devin. I'm sure Moneyboy would buy it for you, but then there's that whole "no charity" thing you have going. ;)

By the way, I liked the post you did a while back about Devin's "inner struggles". For some reason I hadn't seen it until now. Enjoyed seeing what someone else was thinking!

Last edited:

ledded

Herder of monkies
Niiiiice update. I especially liked the touches with Robbie "Blunt". And the dialogue just keeps getting better too. Keep up the good work, it sounds like ya'll have a good group to game with.

Rebecca M

First Post
ledded said:
I especially liked the touches with Robbie "Blunt".

I liked that too. One of the players christened Robbie "Blunt," then the reason for the nickname sort of evolved throughout the session. It was a fun conversation. ;)

Puppy Kicker

First Post
“Tears in Hell” – Opening a Door the Long Way

“Tears in Hell” – Opening a Door the Long Way

3:00 PM Saturday, July 17th
Oceanview Community, Duck, North Carolina

The five investigators sat in the car as the engine idled and the sea breeze whistled through the windows. They were parked on a curving back road in front of several large beach condos, a few houses down from the address belonging to one Wendy Johnson. The sounds of the beach and the vacationers playing on it floated over some dunes, reminding them that this was a very busy area.

“Seems like a pretty busy area,” said Quin.

“Uh huh. Lots of rich mother****ers rent these kinda places for the summer. Good place to make a quick buck if you’re fast enough, or mean enough.”

“You appall me,” Rebecca said to Armani. To the rest of the car, “So what are we going to do? The curtains are all closed on the place Wendy supposedly lives at. There is no hint of her car anywhere.”

“Let’s break the f*** in.”

Rebecca ignored him. “I think we should go knock on the door. See if anyone’s there. If so, we talk our way in and look around. If not, well, we’ll think of different options.”

“I don’t think knocking on the door is the best plan. Chances are she’s going to recognize us.” Devin said. “Then what’s she going to do? Shoot us in the head, that’s what.”

Rebecca shut down the car and popped the trunk. “I don’t think she’ll recognize us.”

As Rebecca was applying a masterful coat of disguising makeup and hair highlights to herself and Quin, the group discussed their plan.

“You and Quinton will be trying to talk your way in while Devin and I wait at the car for a quick getaway if things go south.” Meadow summarized. “But that leaves one big hole in the plan.”

“What’s that?” asked Quin.

Meadow pointed at Armani. “That hole. What is he going to do?”

“I’m going up to the house with them two, witch-girl.”

“You’re the last person I want up there as we try to bluff our way into her home.”

“How ‘bout I try not to talk too much,” said Armani.

“Good idea,” replied Rebecca. “But no. Quin and I will go. You stay back here.”

“Yeah, you can protect Meadow and Devin,” said Quin. “And if you hear screams and gunshots and bloody murder then you know that you can rush to our aid and be right in your own element.”

“How come we have to be protected?” Devin asked. “I think you two need to be protected more.”

“Yeah.” Meadow agreed. “You two definitely need the protection more than we do.”

“Fine!” Rebecca’s hands were on her hips and her jaw jutted out aggressively. “You come up there with us. But you stay out of sight and if you kill anyone I’m going to be MAD MAD MAD!”

“Alright, so we know who’s going.” Devin said. “And if you guys need to run, we’ll be here as the wheelmen.”

“Wheelpersons.” Meadow corrected.

“Yeah. Now if nobody is home, then we try to come up with an alternate plan.”

Thus planned, the strategy was executed.

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK. Quinton rapped on the door. He and Rebecca stood in the doorway, looking for all the world like nothing more threatening than a couple of Jehovah’s Witnesses out for some soul saving. In fact, they looked considerably less threatening than that. Hiding around the corner was someone who was quite threatening, and would probably have made the average Jehovah’s Witness change his religion.

Armani hissed at them. “Hey! Gay people. Anyone answering?” His attempt at a whisper failed.

“Nobody.” Quin continued to rap on the door, now breaking down to a funky beat. Rebecca squinted through closed blinds, trying to see any hint of what awaited them inside the house. She waved down to the Devin and Meadow. They stopped the car and climbed the stairs.

“What’s up?” Devin asked?

Quin gave Devin and Meadow the Reader’s Digest. “Nobody home. Door’s locked. Don’t have key.”

“Any ideas on how to get in?” Meadow asked.

“If I had the right tools I could open this door,” said Rebecca. “But I don’t.”

“The right tools?” Quin asked. “Like a crowbar?”

“Not really. Um. Nevermind.”

“I can open the f***in’ door for you, and I don’t need no crowbar.”

“Well if Armani can open the door, what are we waiting for?” Quin asked.

“When Armani says ‘open the door’ he means ‘OPEN THE DOOR’ in the aggressive sense,” explained Meadow. “Like splinters and shattered glass and jail time.”

They all noted the vacationers who regularly walked by the building. “I don’t think Armani’s way would avoid detection.” Devin said. “Maybe as a last resort when it gets much later.”

Armani smiled. “We can wait.”

Rebecca sheeshed. “I’m SURE there’s another option.”

“Well you go ahead and figure it out then, girlie. In the meantime, I’ll warm myself up for some f***in’ door opening.” Armani cracked his knuckles.

“Let’s discuss this somewhere slightly less suspicious. People are going to get worried about a gang of people hanging out in front of an unoccupied home.” Devin suggested.

They all returned to the car and sat in silence.

Quinton broke the quiet. “Maybe we ought to just hang out here and see if anyone comes by. I mean, if this is some kind of witch hangout where they do their sacrifices and stuff, they probably come back here regularly. Like with goats and all.”

“Witches don’t just go around sacrificing animals!” Meadow growled.

“Then what do they do with all the people they kidnap?” Quin asked. “I mean, sacrifice just seems like the witchly thing to do if you’ve got a bunch of extra kidnap victims lying around and nothing to do with them.”

“Sounds logical to me,” said Devin.

Meadow seethed.

“I guess waiting is as good a plan as any we have right now.” Rebecca said.

“We should wait 'til it gets dark. Then I can open the door.”

“Looks like we have plans B and C now.” Quin said. “Can we change the radio station?”

The radio had scanned through the entire radio spectrum countless times by the time Meadow tugged on Rebecca’s shirt and they got out of the car to talk. Armani, Quin and Devin stayed inside to argue about the radio station. After a couple of minutes Rebecca and Meadow got back in.

“Meadow and I need to head back to Williamsburg while you big boys play private investigator. I’ll be back this evening to pick you up. Don’t get yourself in too much trouble.”

“Why do you have to go back? That’s going to be, like, six hours.”

“I have somewhere I need to be.”

“Where?”

“She just has somewhere she needs to be. I’ll be back. It’s not like this stakeout needs all of us here anyway.”

“Oh, sure. Get out of here.”

As Meadow and Rebecca drove off, the guys looked around uncomfortably.

“I think we stand out.” Armani said.

“If by ‘we’ you mean ‘you’ then I would have to agree.” Quin pseudo-agreed. “Let’s go find a place to hang out that’s a bit less conspicuous.”

About an hour later, having wandering all along the beach, up and down the road, and finally to the gatehouse of the beach community, they returned to Wendy Johnson’s house.

“I can’t believe he bought it, man.” Devin was still amazed.

“I can’t believe I don’t get to break the damn door down.” Armani complained.

“Hey, I just have a way with words. The old guy was worried about little Miss Johnson and I just had to play on those fears to get the key. It’s all very simple if you know what you’re doing.”

Quin turned the key and the lock opened. He pushed open the door to Wendy Johnson’s home and flicked on the light.

“Honey, I’m home!”

“B**ch, we here to kill you.”

Neither greeting elicited a response. The rooms were small and sparse. Cobwebs in the corners indicated it was not cleaned very often, but a couple of slightly dirty dishes showed recent use. There were very few personal items either. Some toiletries in the bathroom hinted at a woman’s presence.

And there was a phone. And there was an answering machine. Quin tapped the play button.

“Ms. Johnson. Sammy has yet to hear from you about his merchandise. We expect a response by the end of the day or there will be problems.”

BEEP

“Ms. Johnson. We have not heard from you regarding Sammy’s goods. We now have a problem.”

BEEP

“Seems our friend, Sammy, had a bit of a problem with this Johnson gal. Wonder what’s going on there,” Devin said.

Armani didn’t say a word.

They searched the house for an hour, finding little else. Armani plopped on the couch. “B**ch don’t even have a TV. And we gotta kill a few more hours before that chick gets back with our ride.” By chance he glanced at the trashcan next to the couch. He pulled out a crumpled piece of paper. “Hey, I found somethin’.” Quin and Devin rushed over to look at the note.

KOA

“What’s that?” Armani asked.

“KOA campgrounds. There are a few of them near Williamsburg.” Devin said. “I’ve stayed there before, when I was younger. No idea about the 1900 though.”

“Nor do I,” said Quinton. “It could be an address at one of the campgrounds. Maybe it’s a time, like military time.”

They all sat down and made themselves comfortable.

“At least we have lots of time to talk about it.” Devin said as he looked at his watch. He looked at it again. He tapped it. “Dammit! Does anybody know what time it is?”

Devin Cole

First Post
Ok so that’s just messed up PK. I, as a "financially challenged American", find all these jabs at my "broke-ness" somewhat hurtful (mumbles about his broken watch).....well that or at least darn funny. Keep it up.....

Everyone remember...Laugh now cause I play the lottery and when I strike it rich I will be laughing at you all from the drivers seat of my new hummer...with spinners...ya you too quin.....rich little turd :p

Last edited:

Puppy Kicker

First Post
All apologies to my loyal readers for taking so long to update! I had to go keep the world safe for democracy for a couple weeks, but now I'm back and an update is en route. In the meantime I'm going to pop up a little survey to get my players into a competitive mood. (Assuming I can figure out how to do it.)

Puppy Kicker

First Post
Skirt Chase, Car Chase, Goose Chase

8:00 PM Saturday, July 17th
Shields Restaurant, Williamsburg, Virginia

“I wasn’t sure you’d make it. We’ve really had some trouble getting together lately, haven’t we?” Alli sipped her wine. Her salad sat mostly untouched in front of her.

Meadow took Alli’s hand across the table. “It’s just been a hectic couple of weeks. I PROMISE we’ll spend some more time together. And…”

“And you’ll try not to get shot anymore?” Allison interrupted with a sly wink. She squeezed Meadow’s hand.

Meadow chuckled. “You always have a way of setting me at ease, Alli. That’s one of the things I love about you.”

“One of the things?” Alli leaned forward. “And what are the other things?”

Meadow leaned towards her and kissed her gently. “Those lips for…”

“Who’s this?” It was a forceful voice, and a voice Meadow had come to recognize and eventually loathe.

“Uh…” Meadow leaned back quickly, wiping her lips with her napkin. “Jared… You’ve met Alli.”

Jared scowled. He was a big man, not overly tall but thick and muscular. A bit too possessive, Meadow thought, which was why they had broken up. He folded his arms over his chest now and gave Allison his Alpha Male stare. Meadow could just imagine him thumping his chest before speaking. “Alli, huh? Your ‘friend’ from the library?” Jared turned his aggression back towards Meadow. “Is this how you treat all your ‘friends’, you little lezzy whore?”

“Jared, I…”

“Shut up, whore!” People from nearby tables were staring now. A waiter was weaving his way towards the ruckus. “I don’t want to hear your whoring stories!” Jared kicked the table. A shower of white wine and leafy greens rained down on an adjacent table.

The waiter skidded to a stately halt next to Jared. “Sir. I have to ask you to leave.”

“Sure, let the whore and her little… uh… other whore stay and eat. I want nothing to do with this sh**.” Jared kicked the table again. “Nobody does this to me, Meadow. Nobody humiliates me like this.” His glare was dangerous. He turned and stormed out of the room leaving a fine-dining mess and a freshly stocked rumor mill in his wake.

Alli wiped away a tear. “I think that a**hole ruined my appetite. Let’s go home.”

Meadow agreed. They left.

---​

9:00 PM Saturday, July 17th
Duck, North Carolina

“She had someone she had to meet. That’s all you need to know.” The streetlights of Duck slipped by at three MPH over the speed limit. Armani, crunched in the back seat, fidgeted and crunched Quinton. Quinton groaned and tried to squeeze himself even tighter against the door.

“Probably some f***in’ gay stuff anyway. At least some of us did somethin’ worthwhile.”

“Oh, I’m sure you were sooo happy to get your chance to break a door in.” Rebecca scowled into the rear-view mirror.

“Actually, we just got the key from the guy at the gate.”

“The nice old man who let us onto the property!?” Rebecca gasped. “How could you beat up an old man?”

Quin patted Rebecca on the shoulder. “We just talked to him, Becca. No violence was done.” Over the next hour Devin, Quin, and Armani filled Rebecca in on what they had discovered and what they planned to do.

“So we’re just going to investigate this campground…” Rebecca’s voice trailed off. She was looking in the rearview mirror. “We need to make a little detour.” She flicked on her turn signal and turned down a random street. She checked her mirror again. “Someone’s following us. Don’t look.”

Devin, Armani, and Quinton all turned to look. “Where?” “I don’t see it.” “My head hurts.” “Are you sure?”

“Yes, I’m pretty sure. The same lights have been following us for quite a while.” She flicked on her turn signal again and turned back towards the highway. “We’ll see if they keep following us now.” She merged onto the highway. The lights were still there, back a ways but identifiable.

“Who would be following us out here?” Quinton asked. “I mean, who knows we’re even out here?”

Rebecca shrugged in the dark. “Dunno. I hope they don’t have guns.”

“Not nearly as much as I hope they don’t,” said Devin. His head wound began to bleed just a bit as a poignant reminder.

“Just pull over. I’ll beat their punk a**es down.”

“That has been, historically, ineffective.” Quinton said. “Maybe we ought to try to lose them.”

“Lose them?” Rebecca looked a little terrified. “I don’t know if I can drive fast enough to lose somebody.”

“Dude, you drive with your knees while applying makeup and talking to customers.” Devin said. “You’re probably a better driver than anyone here.”

“How about I pull over here and see if they follow us?”

“Works for me. Just be ready to get going fast if anyone hops out with a gun.” Devin said.

“Word,” said Quinton.

Rebecca pulled the car over in front of a Wal-Mart, idling in a parking space. Their pursuer slowed down, but continued down the street until they vanished in the dark.

“Anyone recognize it?”

“Ford Escape. Very pimp.” Quin said. “Couldn’t see the license plate though.”

“This is all a waste of my f***in’ time. Get back on the road and let’s get goin’.”

“Whatever.” Rebecca pulled back onto the road. Two blocks later the Escape pulled up behind them from a side street.

“They’re following us again!” Rebecca exclaimed.

“We’re driving at 20 miles and hour. It’s hardly a high speed chase.” Quinton said. “Just pull over at this gas station. It looks busy.”

Rebecca pulled over again. As soon as the car stopped Devin hopped out and inched his way towards the Ford, which had pulled over across the street. As he got closer the vehicle pulled onto the road and drove off. Devin returned to the car. “Let’s get out of here. Take a back route.”

“See anything interesting?”

“Got their plates.” Devin looked at his scribbled-on palm. “VA AOW-2134.”

Quin slapped him on the back. “Good job, man! I’ll get those to Robbie tomorrow. I bet he can figure out who it is.”

Rebecca pulled the Grand Am back onto the road and continued the long drive to Newport News. Armani scowled in the back seat. “That was the lamest f***in’ car chase I’ve ever been in.”

---​

1:00 AM Sunday, July 18th
Virginia Beach, Virginia

The Grand Am, fully loaded now with five people, bumped along the rut-filled KOA campground road. Armani, Devin, and Quin were crowded in the back while Meadow luxuriated in the passenger seat.

“I don’t know why witch-b**** always gets the front seat. This is f***in’ bull****.” Armani elbowed for more room and got it. “And we ain’t finding sh** here anyway.”

“Yeah, I think we’ve seen every side road of this place,” Quin said. “I don’t see any sign of that van from the McDonalds.”

“Or anything promising, for that matter,” agreed Meadow.

“There are a couple more KOAs in Williamsburg,” Devin said. “I bet if they were going to be doing stuff near that area they would go to those ones instead of driving all the way down here.”

“How are you doing, Becca?” Quin asked. Rebecca looked exhausted and she kept shaking her head trying to stay awake.

“Tired. A lot of driving today.”

“Yeah, no kidding. So did you get everything taken care of that you needed, Meadow?” Quin asked.

“Sure,” Meadow snapped. She had been untalkative ever since they’d picked her up at the motel. They all gave her some space.

“Let’s head back.” Quin said. “Pull over, Becca. I’ll drive.”

Quin got them back to the hotel safely and quietly (exhaustion was the best argument solver they'd found yet.) Back in the safety of the motel it took 15 seconds to reach a group concensus that all further plans would be made in the morning.

Last edited:

Rebecca M

First Post
Vote for Rebecca!

So far, this attempt at democracy is a miserable failure. It appears that SOME people get to vote for everyone, and the election is being decided by one real vote. (Thanks for voting Gina, but wrong guy. :p )

Remove ads