D&D 5E Tell me about your Homebrew 5E campaign setting

Hussar

Legend
Mine is very much in its infancy. But, it's based on this map: Telduria. Basically a post apocalyptic setting where a god slammed into that crater some time ago, creating the Crucible where all monsters come from and also creating a several mile wide island floating in the air above the crater. No one has ever been to the island and returned.

.The Fifth City - Babylon 5 translated into a swashbuckling, seafaring fantasy epic. The setting is a massive archipelago with hundred of islands populated by the various races, with Humans, Elves, Dragonborn, and Tieflings being the major powers in the islands. For those familiar with Babylon 5, Elves are the Minbari, Tielfings are Centauri, Dragonborn are Narn, and Humans are, of course, Humans. Most of the "monster" races (gnolls, orcs, kobolds, etc) are not inherently evil and walk side by side with dwarves, halflings, gnomes, etc in the Fifth City, an artificial island built by the elves and humans in an effort to promote peace among all races. Goblinoids are the only major exception as they went a campaign of genocide a couple of decades ago and were nearly wiped out because of it, surviving only as raiders and pirates.
That sounds cool. I love B5, so that's such a fun idea

[MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION]: That's one of the neatest campaign world ideas I've seen in a while. I may yoink that from you at some point.

I find it fascinating that so many people-- [MENTION=45197]pming[/MENTION], for instance--have been inspired by 5E to go "back to basics" so much. I'm doing the exact same thing. PCs are one of many groups of explorers that a war-weary nation is sending into the wilds, looking to expand. It's a pseudo-sandbox/hex crawl game, with the PCs' backstories having created aspects of the world. While I did create my own region map, I started in the SW corner with the region map from Keep on the Borderlands. And in fact, the PCs' first objective was to retake the keep as a launching point for expeditions such as their own. (It'd been abandoned during the war, and then occupied by kobolds, who were themselves--when the PCs found them--hunkered down against a siege of zomies sent by the Hidden Temple.)

I'm letting the PCs fully control the direction of things, I'm doing treasure about 95% randomly... All classic stuff that I haven't done in my normally-plot-arc-heavy, tailored-magic campaigns in quite a few years. :)

Gilladian

Adventurer
My campaign world is 30+ years old at this point, so I've been doing more "twisting 5e" to fit it than vice versa, but I've still made some changes. Had to really think about clerics. I MISS all the 3e domains, and I'm not sure I like having so few now. But we'll see. I'm determined to run my current campaign up to at least 10th level, maybe higher, to really test out the system. We've not quite hit 5th lvl at this point, after about 15 sessions. Today, my PCs captured a dragon in a tower with an "indestructible" force field around it. It was hilarious!

But I'm wondering, after the (young) green dragon goes into "hibernation" to avoid starvation, how long it will take before lair effects begin to emanate from the tower? Hmmmm....

You can browse my extensive campaign wiki from the link in my sig.

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
I've got a few 5th edition settings that I've tooled around with. My homebrew world is Gaile... which is a fairly standard fantasy world, except that humans are the dominant race to the point that nonhuman characters are relatively rare. Also there is tension between those who wield and study arcane magic and divine casters. This stems from a cataclysmic meteor strike that nearly destroyed civilization and is largely blamed upon arcane casters who sought to increase their power by opening portals to alien worlds (and gods).

I'm currently running a 5th edition conversion of classic Greyhawk and have worked on a Planescape conversion.

Psyga315

Explorer
My homebrew setting is set on a series of islands far off from the Sword Coast where exiled people go. It's protected by a shield that deflects sunlight and makes it all night because most of the denizens are creatures affected by the sun, like Vampires and Drow. There's only one major town so far: Branwen, a town that worships the Raven Queen. The Islands are also heavily affiliated with necromantic magic. Like, reviving the dead is seen as child's play and raising your first zombie is akin to getting your first pet.

There was an antagonist in the form of the Shadow Dragon Cult. The campaign is set during the time the other Dragon Cult were being fought (for all intents and purposes, we'll say a certain Ranger and his band of Iconics are taking them on), but these guys were working behind the scenes to revive a Shadowfell Dragon, hence their name. They consisted of several people, one of which is from another plane. Basically, this was all just a mini-setting. It piggybacked on a bit of the Forgotten Realms, but due to lack of knowledge of it, it's more original than anything else.

Magistus71

Explorer
The Fifth City - Babylon 5 translated into a swashbuckling, seafaring fantasy epic. The setting is a massive archipelago with hundred of islands populated by the various races, with Humans, Elves, Dragonborn, and Tieflings being the major powers in the islands. For those familiar with Babylon 5, Elves are the Minbari, Tielfings are Centauri, Dragonborn are Narn, and Humans are, of course, Humans. Most of the "monster" races (gnolls, orcs, kobolds, etc) are not inherently evil and walk side by side with dwarves, halflings, gnomes, etc in the Fifth City, an artificial island built by the elves and humans in an effort to promote peace among all races. Goblinoids are the only major exception as they went a campaign of genocide a couple of decades ago and were nearly wiped out because of it, surviving only as raiders and pirates.

I like this idea, would love to see more about it.

Mine is very much in its infancy. But, it's based on this map: Telduria. Basically a post apocalyptic setting where a god slammed into that crater some time ago, creating the Crucible where all monsters come from and also creating a several mile wide island floating in the air above the crater. No one has ever been to the island and returned.
That is a spectacular map.

Remove ads