Terrible idea: streaming services to only unlock the next episode a week after you watch the last one.

Janx

Hero
I was listening to NPR talk about Disney+ and the Mandalorian's first episode which sounded more better than the trailers that left me wondering what the show was even about.

Unlike Netflix, some of the streaming services only release a new episode a week at a time. So naturally, some people have the idea to wait until it's done, then subscribe for a month and binge.

This affects the traditional rate of conception and excitement of waiting for the next episode, but also cuts revenue.

So what if they make you want a week before you can watch the next episode. Period. Not because it's, but because it's new to you.

I don't think this is actually a good idea, just one of those thoughts of how something could be done.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
The idea is just as horrible as video games refusing to give you the ability to save a game until you get to a certain point. I have an actual life that rarely seems to work according to the designers schedules. If I can't make the product adapt to my schedule I can't use it.

ccs

41st lv DM
I was listening to NPR talk about Disney+ and the Mandalorian's first episode which sounded more better than the trailers that left me wondering what the show was even about.

Unlike Netflix, some of the streaming services only release a new episode a week at a time. So naturally, some people have the idea to wait until it's done, then subscribe for a month and binge.

This affects the traditional rate of conception and excitement of waiting for the next episode, but also cuts revenue.

So what if they make you want a week before you can watch the next episode. Period. Not because it's, but because it's new to you.

I don't think this is actually a good idea, just one of those thoughts of how something could be done.

Not having caught that NPR talk, is that what Disney's doing? Or just you throwing crap at the wall for discussion?

The free trial last a week which would be more than enough time to binge watch one of the tent pole shows, this way they make you stay subbed past that free trial.

ccs

41st lv DM
Yes. Mandalorian is on a weekly release schedule. HBO has done this for years with their series.

That's too bad. Because I was done watching things on a weekly basis years before streaming was a thing.
So I guess I'll treat them like I do HBO.
I'll wait patiently for the eventual BR/DVD. If it drops next Oct-Dec, then my relatives get a Christmas gift idea they can understand ("Oh, it's a movie!".)
And if they don't release it on BR/DVD? Well....

CapnZapp

Legend
Not having caught that NPR talk, is that what Disney's doing? Or just you throwing crap at the wall for discussion?
I believe the poster got the idea from the talk, and wanted our feedback.

(And yes, it seems to be a wildly impopular prospect)

Remove ads