Terrible idea: streaming services to only unlock the next episode a week after you watch the last one.

CarlZog

Explorer
I do understand the need for services to discourage people from binging for a week then dumping their sub. But at the same time, I think the genie is out of the bottle. Everybody has gotten way too used to seeing as much as they want when they want. Trying to get people to go back to weekly TV schedules is a tough sell.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Okay, I'm going to take the unpopular side, here. That Netflix dumps seasons at a time isn't a good reason to expect this as normal -- it's not across streaming services. Netflix started without original programming, so dumping the entire season of the licensed shows made sense -- they didn't build their business model that way but rather on massive amounts of mostly mediocre content. Further, they built their streaming service on the back of a very lucrative physical rental business and didn't have to make ends meet with streaming until they already had a solid business there. I expect things to shift now that their position at the top is being eroded by the new services.

Prime, as the other model that does dumps, isn't a monthly service but a yearly one, so it's not even in the same business model ballpark.

So, all that said, the fact that new episodes are parceled out once a week as a burden is so whingy and entitled. This is, essentially, the complaint of someone who wants the thing for a single month's sub (binge and dump) or rotating free accounts (again, binge and never pay). Expecting a business to cater to your abuse of the system so that you can have bingeable shows is, well, words Eric's Grandma wouldn't appreciate. Grow up. That you might have to wait until the end of December to binge watch a show by getting a free preview week is just horrible -- you're so behind the paying customers and that's unfair?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Disney+ is currently included in all Verizon unlimited data plans for 1 year.......

that out of the way, it is an intriguing idea. IF I was the suit running one of these, I'd consider some kind of three month minimum instead. Pay for three months to join. That's not ideal either, but it's better than 1 month. Despite what some people think, adding and deleting members does cost money. And I have no issue with companies making money.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Some posters here apparently fail to distinguish between the regular binge model (Netflix) and what's discussed here:

That the app tracks when you completed an episode and then only makes the next one available one week later. For you, individually.

Forcing you not to binge, that is.
What are you talking about? Certainly not D+, or any other service I know of. Mandalorian releases on Fridays (mostly).

Prime, as the other model that does dumps, isn't a monthly service but a yearly one, so it's not even in the same business model ballpark.
If you're going to write a condescending screed (i.e. calling your opposition "whingy" and "entitled" and telling them to "grow up"), you'd best get your facts right. Prime does have a monthly subscription option.

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
What are you talking about? Certainly not D+, or any other service I know of. Mandalorian releases on Fridays (mostly).
Capp gets it. The current situation is some vendors like releasing one episode a week because it keeps customers around AND it simulates the traditional TV model, the practice is defeated at the end of the run when all episodes are available at once.

My idea is that they can tag the date you watched an episode and make you wait a week before unlocking the next one. Period. Thus limiting to one week at a time, regardless of original date of release.

It's not a great idea. Perhaps best used on new members/new seasons, rather than stuff that's a couple years old. It's a way to stop the wait a year, subscribe and binge for a month that cuts the profits off a 12 episode series from 3 months to 1.

Another idea in my back pocket is that vendors who make original content that we pay for, owe us a complete series. Unlike NBC, who is paid by advertisers, so if a show tanks, they cancel it. I paid Netflix to make The OA. They Owe Me.

Remove ads