D&D 5E TftYP - Running Sunless Citadel

JeffB

Legend
Don't make Meepo cute. That's obviously more of an aesthetic thing - I don't like cute monsters. My Meepo was bloodthirsty and disgusting.

Amen.

So sick of all the "awww...meepo" love from BITD of 3.0

I made the whole Goblin vs. Kobold conflict play out pretty nasty.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Don't have my DMG nearby, does Slow Natural Healing preclude the use of Hit Die healing during a short rest?
Nope. Slow Natural Recovery just removes the total-health-refill after a long rest. So players can spend hit dice after either a short or long rest.

On the subject of passive Perception, do the following and you won't have to roll randomly: (1) Telegraph the existence of hidden things when describing the environment.
This is what I call the OD&D method. It's good if you have a knack for mechanical description. You also need to come up with unique telegraphs for each trap or secret door, otherwise you're announcing their presence to the world.

For example, there are two identical traps in the Sunless Citadel. As soon as I used similar language to telegraph the second one, the players said, "Ah-hah," and knew exactly what was up. So relying on description requires extra work and a lot of creativity.

(2) Ask your players which general task they are having their characters perform in the dungeon at the cost of not doing some other thing. (3) Establish marching order so you know who can detect what depending on the location of the hidden thing. (4) Resolve according to standard rules for passive checks.
This is very important, especially if your players are mostly familiar with the heroic-fantasy bent of most 5E adventures. Dungeon-crawling is a whole 'nother game, and it involves more protocol.

As soon as the party enters the dungeon, go through this check-list:
- What is the marching order?
- What are the light-sources?
- What task is everyone engaged in? (Mapping, keeping an eye out for danger, etc.)

Also, ask the party to describe their general routine. How fast are they moving? Are they listening at every door? Are they searching as they go along? Generally, I don't allow a character to contribute their passive Perception to trap detection unless they're in the front rank. And if they are listening at every door, just use passive Perception instead of rolling at every door.

Also, keep accurate track of time. If the party is moving slowly, searching as they go along, and listening at doors, then assume that 10 minutes is spent for every room and corridor they traverse (in AD&D, this was called a turn). Dungeon-crawling is a slow and cautious activity.

Lastly, I strongly encourage every party to elect a Caller. This is the description I give to my players:

The Caller’s job is to say where the party is going next, i.e. “We go down the east passage” or “We open the door.” Once the party arrives at the next destination, then play resumes as normal, and the other players can declare actions (“I search the wardrobe,” “I cautiously approach the statue,” etc.). This speeds up play.

As the Caller, you should never query the party for help making a decision unless you’re completely stumped. In other words, don’t ask, “Where should we go next?” Just make a decision and go with it. Asking for input slows down play and turns every decision into a group discussion.

This arrangement means that it’s the party’s responsibility to jump in when they have suggestions or want to declare actions. If the party is silent, then the Caller can and should assume that the group is done exploring and ready to move on. As the Caller, you shouldn’t spend too much time waiting for the other party members to declare actions. If it feels like the action has slowed down or you’ve hit a dead end, simply move on to the next room. (Note: A prompt like “Ready to move on?” is fine. Just don’t wait too long for an answer.)

Note: A Caller is not the same as a party leader. A Caller has no more authority than the other players. Nor is the Caller necessarily the “Face” of the group, i.e. the character who represents the party in negotiations. The Caller is simply the player who directs the party’s movements from room to room. They might be a low-Charisma wizard who never talks to NPCs, for example, or even a mute Kenku. As such, the Caller should never be assumed to “lead” the party in any way, unless it’s appropriate for the Caller's character to do so. They have no more or less authority than everyone else.

Just make sure you're mixing it up every now and then. Try to elect a different Caller each session or, if you have long sessions, after each break.

Last edited:

OB1

Jedi Master
Thanks again Prakriti. It's been nearly 30 years since I DM'd a straight up 2e dungeon crawl and these are great suggestions. The homebrew I've been running for 3 years is more Mission Impossible meets the Avengers in Final Fantasy VII, and taking a break from that cinematic, high fantasy style is part of the reason we're doing some TftYP modules this summer in between homebrew sessions (where they are half way through Tier 3).

Balfore

Explorer
I think I will 'make death mean something'.
Too many times, players will rush in not think.
Since dropping to zero HP, they figure they could easily get healed up.
So, I've decided that if they drop below zero, and they are making death saves, I will impose a cumulative -1 (to a max of -4) on their attacks, saves and skill checks.
A long rest will remove one of the negatives, as will any higher Heal spell.
That means, if a player has a -4, and they die again, they have a -4 on their death saves.

Another house rule will be, if they take a long rest, they can only recover up to half of their HP loss. Example:
100 hp, and you're down 50, you can only sleep off 25. The rest can only be recovered through magic, potions, and hit dice.

Also, if there is a need for a rez, the DC will start at 10, and will require skill checks from other players to help lower the DC.
So, if players continue to have a need for a rez, it will become more difficult as they move through life.
So their next rez will be a DC11 then DC12...etc...every time they need a rez
Matt Mercer' article was pretty neat.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

woonga

First Post
I know this is hugely subjective and dependent on the group, but would anyone be able to give a rough estimate on # hours (not # sessions) it's taken your groups to get through Sunless Citadel, or any of the other Yawning Portal adventures? I've been thinking about running Sunless Citadel on an upcoming weekend trip, but wasn't sure what other groups have experienced in terms of length. I've only skimmed the book so far, but the TftYP adventures seem to be more dungeon-crawly than my current campaign has ended up being, so I'm not sure how to gauge the length of adventures like these.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I know this is hugely subjective and dependent on the group, but would anyone be able to give a rough estimate on # hours (not # sessions) it's taken your groups to get through Sunless Citadel, or any of the other Yawning Portal adventures? I've been thinking about running Sunless Citadel on an upcoming weekend trip, but wasn't sure what other groups have experienced in terms of length. I've only skimmed the book so far, but the TftYP adventures seem to be more dungeon-crawly than my current campaign has ended up being, so I'm not sure how to gauge the length of adventures like these.

Trying to think back to when I ran SC... I think it was about four 4 hour sessions. I run mine with full-on tactical map via Roll20 though. With strictly theater of the mind play, you could probably get it done a little faster.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
I know this is hugely subjective and dependent on the group, but would anyone be able to give a rough estimate on # hours (not # sessions) it's taken your groups to get through Sunless Citadel
I'm running two Sunless Citadel groups concurrently; sessions are 4 hours long. One group is 3 sessions in, and they JUST reached the entrance to the Grove Level at the end of the third session. I'm sure they can finish up in 4 sessions, but more likely it will be 5. That's 16-20 hours altogether.

The second group is on a similar pace.

Remove ads