That Upcoming Star Trek RPG Comes In A Special Borg Cube Boxed Set!

Those looking forward to Modiphius' 2d20-based Star Trek Adventures may be excited to hear about a limited edition boxed set which contains a "1701-D" limited edition rulebook, miniatures, dice, tokens, a GM screen, geomorphic deck tiles, character sheets, and a poster map, Geek & Sundry is reporting. No details on price quite yet, but the pre-order opens on June 8th. But the best thing about it? It's shaped like a Borg Cube!

Those looking forward to Modiphius' 2d20-based Star Trek Adventures may be excited to hear about a limited edition boxed set which contains a "1701-D" limited edition rulebook, miniatures, dice, tokens, a GM screen, geomorphic deck tiles, character sheets, and a poster map, Geek & Sundry is reporting. No details on price quite yet, but the pre-order opens on June 8th. But the best thing about it? It's shaped like a Borg Cube!

STA-Feature.png

Here's what it contains:

• “1701-D” Collectible Edition Core Rulebook
  • Original Series, Next Generation, Klingon, and Romulan miniatures sets
  • Foam miniatures storage tray
  • Custom Star Trek dice (in red, gold, and blue, of course)
  • Tokens
  • GM screen
  • Starfleet geomorphic deck tiles
  • Character sheets
  • Momentum and Threat game tokens
  • Poster map of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants.
  • Price? Modiphius says "£300 retail value would be around $380US or $500 AUD. However yes there will be a special pre-order price."
See Geek & Sundry for more photos of the boxed set. For previous coverage here at EN World, check out the Romulan miniatures, and the TOS and TNG miniatures.

SaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave

silentdante

Explorer
even with moving to Columbus ohio, not knowing anyone and probly not having anyone to play with... (PITY ME! hahaha) i still want to throw down my money on this come June 8th, i will go as high as 200 (but can be swayed) so let's hope it's website only, shipping isnt insane and they keep the price down.

as far as the system, i will be getting starfinder too so it will be an interesting discussion on which is the best Sci-fi RPG system this year (are any others releasing soon?)

Brodie

Explorer
The things for me that are a huge turn-off are mainly the price the and the inclusion of the minis. The minis are totally unnecessary and are barely generic enough (for Federation, anyway; Romulans and Klingons are nothing but generic) to fit player needs for those groups that want to use tiles. This is not to mention that the included minis are NOT SHIPS, which WOULD be useful when it comes to combat in space. And yes, I'm aware that the Star Trek Attack Wing minis could be used but that entails delving into another market to get ships you want/need for a session (assuming you aren't already buying them).

Take out the minis, that'll drop the price by, what? $40 a set? That lowers the price to $220. Put in a standard copy (which will be mass produced and thus cheaper) of the core book and that can shave another $10-$20 off the price. Include only one set of dice (maybe make it a set with one of each color), that'll shave off another $30. Keep the box, the GM screen, the tokens, maps, and character sheets and the price can be lowered to around $175. Yes, still expensive but also a reasonably priced purchase.

"But what about all that empty space inside the box now?" (Pun not completely intended.) Well, I'm sure we're all gamers and we all know we could find uses for that empty space. 'Room to grow.' Also, an investment for later purchases of the minis. Because Trek fans. (I'm a Trek fan and I want the TNG minis just for the sake of having them.)

I'm broke enough as it is this year. I can't - at the moment, at least - afford $175 let alone $380 for an RPG I've wanted since before I even knew I wanted a Trek rpg or even started playing rpgs. On top of the Trek rpg, there's also the Starfinder stuff coming out which I seriously want, the campaign setting for Critical Role if it comes out this year, and possibly two seperate western rpgs.

Don't know about the box per se, as I didn't ask about that. However, in the email in which they announced the preorder, they talked about two different collectors boxes they were planning. So there may be another box set more in your price range. Or perhaps the box(es) will go up for sale separately. I guess we will find out next Thursday.
If there's two boxed sets (an "all in" box and a "just the essentials" box) that'd be fine. That's a cool compromise. And it acknowledges the different needs and wants of the audience. If that's the case I'll totally eat crow.
Even if you can buy everything included separately that's reasonable. A different book cover is minor perk for people willing to get everything all at once. But if there's too much that's exclusive...

R

RevTurkey

That looks great. What a cool product.

To those complaining about the potential price point...it is going to be very expensive no doubt, but consider this...I want a new Ferrari...it doesn't mean I can afford one or that it shouldn't exist because of limited finances. They aren't making this the only way to buy the game...they are offering other types of car to get you from A to B in the Star Trek universe :)

It all looks terrific doesn't it. I didn't really warm to the ruleset in the Playtest (however, I only read it so I don't know about it at the table) but I think a fully illustrated finished book will probably draw me in. I like the fact that as a fan of the original cast and series that they have me covered as well from the start. From what I can gather the rules system even though a bit quirky will do a nice enough job once one gets used to it...just like FFG's Star Wars system...it is significantly different to D&D and old style mechanics to take a bit of effort to adapt to. The ideas of player agency and metagame elements upset plenty of people and the skill system seemed to wobble a bit during testing but it doesn't mean it'll play badly, it just means it wasn't the system some gamers were after exactly (myself included).

I think the fact it is Star Trek (of which I am a fan) will help me push past my initial resistance to the mechanics and hopefully come to enjoy them eventually.

I hope they follow the Paizo example and release some adventure path style scenarios. Writing adventures for Sci-fi games always seems to bog me down. I look at the possibilities of where to take such a game and get bewildered by the choice...you've got more than just the local village to travel to etc...maybe that's just me though.

Anyway...hopefully my budget will allow me to get this game. I just dropped a bunch on The Dark Eye (which looks good and is next to my table) and I (like many I presume) fancy the upcoming Starfinder game...that GM screen art...

It looks like Modiphius have done a cracking job on the production values alone. Hopefully the finished game will match that and finally give us a Star Trek RPG that gathers some momentum....oh my!

:)

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
I want to play a hot-borg-hybrid crew member in a Voyager class ship stuck in the Delta Quadrant, trying desperately to get home ;-)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads