That Upcoming Star Trek RPG Comes In A Special Borg Cube Boxed Set!

Those looking forward to Modiphius' 2d20-based Star Trek Adventures may be excited to hear about a limited edition boxed set which contains a "1701-D" limited edition rulebook, miniatures, dice, tokens, a GM screen, geomorphic deck tiles, character sheets, and a poster map, Geek & Sundry is reporting. No details on price quite yet, but the pre-order opens on June 8th. But the best thing about it? It's shaped like a Borg Cube!

Those looking forward to Modiphius' 2d20-based Star Trek Adventures may be excited to hear about a limited edition boxed set which contains a "1701-D" limited edition rulebook, miniatures, dice, tokens, a GM screen, geomorphic deck tiles, character sheets, and a poster map, Geek & Sundry is reporting. No details on price quite yet, but the pre-order opens on June 8th. But the best thing about it? It's shaped like a Borg Cube!

STA-Feature.png

Here's what it contains:

• “1701-D” Collectible Edition Core Rulebook
  • Original Series, Next Generation, Klingon, and Romulan miniatures sets
  • Foam miniatures storage tray
  • Custom Star Trek dice (in red, gold, and blue, of course)
  • Tokens
  • GM screen
  • Starfleet geomorphic deck tiles
  • Character sheets
  • Momentum and Threat game tokens
  • Poster map of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants.
  • Price? Modiphius says "£300 retail value would be around $380US or $500 AUD. However yes there will be a special pre-order price."
See Geek & Sundry for more photos of the boxed set. For previous coverage here at EN World, check out the Romulan miniatures, and the TOS and TNG miniatures.

SaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave

Preorders are up: https://www.modiphius.net/collections/star-trek-adventures

looks like you can get the collector's cover of the book, but not the Borg box. (Or the associated screen)
:(

Really, everything looks SUPER expensive. The books are what I'd expect in US prices. CAD is not cooperating though. All the rest though... $7 per mini. That's on par with metal. $24 for 7 dice. That's *twice* the cost of a Chessex set.

And the collector's edition book...
I don't mind paying much more for a fancier cover. Done that for Tome of Beasts and the Midgard Campagh Setting. And others. But those are leatherette and extra fancy.
And I don't mind limited run alternate covers for pre-orders or other exclusives. I don't like them as a collector, but if just buying a copy it's a nice perk. Like what WotC is doing.

But charging more for just a variant cover? WotC didn't do that and the variant covers are super fancy and shiny. Charging $20 for a different exclusive cover seems like a cash grab.

It hurts even more that the regular cover just isn't good. The least interesting uniforms. It's very dark and grey/ brown. And what's going on? Are they under attack? In a crumbling asteroid? It's unclear. So much of the promo art we've seen would have been so much better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brodie

Explorer
Yeah.... I'm out. The base book is $60 by itself and the GM screen is an OUTRAGEOUS $40! For a freaking GM screen! I'm done. This game is no longer going to be on my list of games to acquire.

TookyG

Explorer
Yeah, frankly, it's all just too expensive for what's really just a mediocre system. $20 for some plastic tokens, $40 for a GM screen... Supposedly that cardboard cube cost them $150. You'd be hard pressed to find a bigger Trekker but--just no.

I didn't even notice the GM's Screen. Holy eff!!
$60 for the book is about what I expected. But everything else...

And no map of the alph/ beta quadrant! That would have been a cool item that might sell even to non-RPG players

Last edited by a moderator:

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
The Borg cube is gorgeous, but apparently, I'm just not that much of a collector.

As for the collector's edition book, apparently it's a much small print run (which drives costs up) and has spot varnish on the windows of the Enterprise. YMMV whether or not that's worth the premium price.

R

RevTurkey

They just updated the pre-order deals...added some maps and reference sheets and stuff based on the negative early response to value.

aramis erak

Legend
I have a feeling that they got in way over their heads.
Every deadline except the preorder has been blown.
No JJ-Trek and no Discovery; all current trek is TOS Era (albeit different timelines), and their emphasis has been TNG era.
No mention of the Iconic Characters being statted out (or not) in the book.
No concession at all to the gear-head fans... Which Trek-fandom is heavily noted for.

They are going to be in the limelight... one of the 6 big franchises (D&D, SW, ST, Marvel, Dr Who, Cthulhu) with multi-media fan service. Their chance to shine... or wind up running flaming off the stage because the heat gets too high and turns everything into a hot flaming mess.

I want to like the game, but the reward cycle is broken. In a very subtle manner. And in a manner that is core to the engine, not unique to the ST version.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads