The action economy

Warbringer

Explorer
This is not fully formed, so no, don't know how it works in detail, but....

Instead of aedu, and possibility vancian, what if the economy for "powers" was instead actions....

The fighters surge points towards multiple actions in a round being a core component of doing more, but what is doing bigger was based on that....

So basically ( left hand for power only, not cadence)

Basic attack - action
At will - 2 actions
Encounter - 3 actions
Daily - 5 actions ( or whatever)

A hero gets more actions as they level, maybe 1/4, can use their move action to help pay for the "power", hell maybe even

borrow actions.." you gain +2 actions this round, but lose 1 action for subsequent rounds until a short rest" ..fatigue

Steal actions "you leech an action from a living enemy monster for this round, but draw its anger (advantage against you)" ... Necromancy

Use for other benefits ...." you may spend an action to grant you advantage against a single opponent for the round " .... " you can spend any or all your actions for a sudden burst of movement ... Each action spend gives the hero another move action"

Casting spells ... " you can prepare spells. Prepared spells cost 2 actions less to cast, but when they are cast no longer cont as pepared; they can be cast as normal "...

Making skill checks ... " you may spend an action to give you advantage on a sill attempt"...

Monsters have actions.... What are dragons so deadly.... Well the 9 actions a round doesn't hurt

ren1999

First Post
I say keep your ideas flowing.

I really like the Dodge Action. I think it has a lot of potential.

A cleric could use his Dodge Action to defend his patient while healing.

At-Will, Encounter, Daily and Utility was clunky but it had its uses. I still find that it is necessary to have it because some of the monsters I throw at players are too powerful if they can cast Hold Person every turn.

We've got to have limitation. We can make Burst spells at-will by lowering the damage dice. But we can't do anything with Target-Helpless spells other than give the target chances to break the spell. Hold Person needs to be limited. It shouldn't be an at-will power.

9 actions per turn is too many even for a dragon.
I say 4 actions for the highest level being and 5 actions for 20th level beings.

MarkB

Legend
It sounds like a lot to manage.

Also, with the numbers you've given, an "Encounter" power would need to be pretty spectacular in order to be worth doing instead of a trio of basic attacks.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
And/or people are satisfied with your turn= do something and move...thus, having no reason to comment on this (or other threads raising similar "concerns" or alternative systems of play).

Ding dong the "Action Economy" is dead...perhaps?

Say what you want to do. Roll your dice.
Next.

Eh...a dragon can dream.
--Steel Dragons

Frostmarrow

First Post
What if instead of actions you pay by dropping down notches on the initiative track? Basic action you remain on your initiative. At Will drop 1 point, encounter drop 5 points, and daily drop 10 points. At zero initiative you are staggered. Fighters can bump up again by using a surge.

Remove ads