• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The alignment chart re-imagined.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
Hey, I'm just a grog eating my 4th edition ice cream sandwich.
I applaud 4th edition for going beyond the standard grilled cheese, PB&J, cold cut hoagie, and ham & swiss archetypes. But making a teriyaki grilled chicken au jus, while it could be interesting, is just too hard to implement. Also, adding sauces to every sandwich is stupid and unwieldy. I don't want to have to memorize a list of dressings like ranch, Russian, wasabi aoili (which doesn't spell out what it is) just to order a turkey club.

Like, why would harissa even be an option for a fried peanut butter & banana sandwich? You could put it on there but only a munchkin would.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This chart is flawed for several reasons:

Envelopment by the bread or bread analog is not necessary for a sandwich. See open-faced sandwich.

Note, however, that the term "open faced" is always applied. If you advertise a thing as a sandwich, and you hand the customer an open faced sandwich, they will be annoyed at you.

Hinged bread qualifies as "pure" structure. See submarine sandwich; see also Italian sausage sandwich, gyro.

If gyro is a sandwich, then a taco is a sandwich, and I'm not sure that is leading to a useful definition of sandwich.

Meat, cheese, condiments are not necessary for a "pure" sandwich. See Ice cream sandwich.

Again, the term "ice cream" is, however, necessary. If you ask your significant other, "Would you like a sandwich?" and you then hand them a Good Humor... they won't be in a good humor.

From these examples which are, by their very name, generally accepted as sandwiches

As I have noted, they kind of aren't. If you must add the qualifier of ingredients for acceptable presentation, then it isn't generally accepted.

we can extrapolate that a sandwich is "food bounded on at least one side by bread or a bread analog.

So... Pizza and french onion soup are sandwiches, by that definition. I daresay with "bounded by" you end up with "salad and a side of bread sticks" qualifies, as no salad exists in the serving beyond the bread sticks, it is technically bounded by the bread.

I suggest that you have rendered the term "sandwich" ineffective for use in language.

Last edited:

You're veering dangerously close to a Rule Brittania-level of paternal colonialism there. ;)
Listen, if you're gonna call yourself a "tea ingredient purist" TEA IS TEA.

Ingredient Purist Preparation Anarchist would call damp tea leaves in a salad tea, but not a gutter. (unless the gutter had tea leaves in it.)

(In real life, I don't care. But my girlfriend does and she would would call "herbal tea = tea" Ingredient Neutrality. Or would if she understood DnD memes.)

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics

Ingredient Purist Preparation Anarchist would call damp tea leaves in a salad tea, but not a gutter. (unless the gutter had tea leaves in it.)

(In real life, I don't care. But my girlfriend does and she would would call "herbal tea = tea" Ingredient Neutrality. Or would if she understood DnD memes.)
man, that is wild.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
Note, however, that the term "open faced" is always applied. If you advertise a thing as a sandwich, and you hand the customer an open faced sandwich, they will be annoyed at you.
Indeed, under the above-cited official bulletin from the New York State Department of Taxation, all are, legally speaking, sandwiches.

And if you attempt to skirt tax regulations by saying that, no, really, it only has one slice of bread and therefore isn't a sandwich, then you are quite literally fighting City Hall, which does not go well for the one fighting against City Hall.

Furthermore, the USDA's “Food Standards and Labeling Policy Book,” provides some guidance on what should and should not be considered a “sandwich” stating that “[t]ypical ‘close-faced’ sandwiches consist of two slices of bread or the top and bottom section of sliced bun that enclose meat or poultry.” It also distinguishes between closed and open-faced sandwiches, indicating that both are considered “sandwiches." The seeming limitation to meat or poultry is there to specify which types of sandwiches are within the USDA's purview, as vegetable or novelty confection sandwiches are not regulated by the USDA.

If gyro is a sandwich, then a taco is a sandwich, and I'm not sure that is leading to a useful definition of sandwich.
A gyro is indeed a sandwich. It is meat, vegetables, and sauce, in a flatbread. It is no different from a California turkey club wrap.

Inasmuch as a California turkey club wrap is "meat, vegetable, and sauce in a tortilla" and is a sandwich then a taco, which is "meat, vegetable, and sauce in a tortilla" is also a sandwich. Further, attempting to state that tacos have hard shells is an invalid defense as you would be hard-pressed to argue that taco trucks, which sell tacos of the soft variety, are not selling tacos. They are most definitely selling tacos. Yes, tacos are sandwiches.

Again, the term "ice cream" is, however, necessary. If you ask your significant other, "Would you like a sandwich?" and you then hand them a Good Humor... they won't be in a good humor.
Only as far as specifying what type of sandwich you want. It is customary to specify what type of sandwich one wants. As anyone with a child knows, you don't ask, "do you want a sandwich?" You ask, "What kind of sandwich do you want?" And if my daughter tries saying "an ice cream sandwich," the reply is "no ice cream for lunch," as opposed to "that's not a sandwich." An ice cream sandwich is a sandwich, but it is a sweet dessert sandwich.
So... Pizza and french onion soup are sandwiches, by that definition. I daresay with "bounded by" you end up with "salad and a side of bread sticks" qualifies, as no salad exists in the serving beyond the bread sticks, it is technically bounded by the bread.
That's not bounded. That's adjacent to. Now, were you to put a Caesar salad onto a tortilla, then yes, that would be a sandwich. Specifically, a Caesar salad wrap.
I suggest that you have rendered the term "sandwich" ineffective for use in language.

And, to further prove the point, though it may be to gild refined gold, to paint the lily, to throw a perfume on the violet, or add another hue unto the rainbow, no less an authority and legal scholar as the late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg opined that yes, a hot dog, being a single unbroken unit of bread cradling meat and condiments (or any other filling), is a sandwich.

I, myself, am loathe to tread beyond the path blazed by Justice Ginsburg, the USDA, the California Board of Equalization, and the New York State Department of Revenue. If these authorities are willing to say that a hot dog is a sandwich under the law, then I say that the aforementioned chart of sandwich alignment is in error as a hot dog is a lawful good sandwich. It is a sandwich under the law and hot dogs are good.

Last edited:

Would the sandwich then be considered both open-faced and two-faced?

Would you consider the Atlantic tea?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
This chart is flawed for several reasons:

Envelopment by the bread or bread analog is not necessary for a sandwich. See open-faced sandwich.
Hinged bread qualifies as "pure" structure. See submarine sandwich; see also Italian sausage sandwich, gyro.
Meat, cheese, condiments are not necessary for a "pure" sandwich. See Ice cream sandwich.

The above cited sandwiches are, by their very name, sandwiches and all would fit firmly in the "Lawful Good" slot.

From these examples which are, by their very name, generally accepted as sandwiches, we can extrapolate that a sandwich is "food bounded on at least one side by bread or a bread analog.
The chart is accurate by its own definitions. The problem is that it’s lacking an axis for linguistic purity. “An ice cream sandwich is a sandwich because it’s in the name. A hot dog is not a sandwich because it’s called a hot dog, not a sandwich.”

I too am a linguistic purist, ingredient and structure... radical, I guess? I think the word neutral better describes my feelings towards those axies, but by the chart I would fall into the radical category.

Would the sandwich then be considered both open-faced and two-faced?

Would you consider the Atlantic tea?
I would consider myself ingredient demi-neutral (it's got plants, but it also has animals, which is a deal-breaker) and preparation neutral (steeped, in hot or cold water, but there needs to a transfer of chemicals to the water beyond 'there's plant matter in there.)

Ergo, the Atlantic is not a tea but a gaspatcho.

Remove ads